bandsaw,chopsaw or something else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

have you seen the price of the stand? $216!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clintonwelding1 View Post
        it has to be in the $200-$300 range and about 4ftx2ft

if i get a chop saw I can get a drill press and maybe a belt sander

That's no fair. It that is all the space you have---you need to build
        a 40' extension on the shop..... so buy a radial arm saw to whack some lumber and start building.... the price of lumber is way down now so it is a good time to build.... The mills around here are all closing because they can't sell the boards, and our logging has been down since Aug 1.
        rvannatta
        www.vannattabros.com
        Miller Bobcat 225G
        Miller Big 40 ('79 gasser)<gone>
        Miller 375 Plasma cutter<gone>
        Lincoln Vantage 400
        Lincoln Pro-Cut 80

Comment

LOL, its a backyard on long island.....that doesnt mean much room for expansion

Comment

Originally posted by clintonwelding1
            LOL, its a backyard on long island.....that doesnt mean much room for expansion
            shucks and a shop isn't complete until it has a lathe and a shaper in it.
            rvannatta
            www.vannattabros.com
            Miller Bobcat 225G
            Miller Big 40 ('79 gasser)<gone>
            Miller 375 Plasma cutter<gone>
            Lincoln Vantage 400
            Lincoln Pro-Cut 80

Comment

Another vote for the Milwaukee porta band , try and get the deep cut/throat version..

We have one at work that gets used constantly... usually it is set up in the vice. Build a mount from 3/16" or 1/4" steel plate to bolt to the 2 screws that hold the rest on... then weld a piece of thick wall 1"x3" rectangle tubing to that... clamps right in the vice , makes it easy to go from vertical to portable.

As long as you arent cutting through welds , slag and heavy rust the blades will last a good while.

Comment

I think we all have different needs and that pretty much dictates what tools we use and like. I had a small band saw for a while. It worked great with new blades. Worked like crap with anything much less than new. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have gotten a lot bigger saw. Anyway, after the band saw I got a Makita metal cutting miter saw. They don't make this model anymore and I dread the day mine dies because I use it almost daily. It's the best tool investment I ever made, well maybe short of a welder.
                Jim

Comment

As long as you use the proper blade speed and don't force it, the blades will last a long time. Since I got my bandsaws, I hardley ever even think about using the abrasive chop saw.

I think you would be real happy with a porta-band. It would be nice and portable with your welder so you could do on-site jobs.

Tobin
                  MM251
                  Miller Dialarc HF-P 310 Amp Tig
                  Victor O/A Setup
                  Lincolin 225Amp Buzzbox
                  Cummins Freak

Comment

do they make the stands to make it stationary for somewhere cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by clintonwelding1 View Post
                      do they make the stands to make it stationary for somewhere cheap?
                      There really is no need to make it "stationary". Put your material being cut in a vice and or use "Rigid" brand pipe stands. Make sure you get the deep cut model. I use mine alot. I also have a jet horizontal/vertical, and a chopsaw. Chop saws are great for quick cuts w/no lay out, but they remove more material and throw sparks everywhere. My jet is nice because I can walk away from it while it's cutting. I use the porta band most because it's quick, clean, and quiet.
                      Good luck!
                      http://groups.msn.com/ArcAlaskaWelding
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      mm350P,Trailblazer 301g
                      Spoolmatic 30A
                      R115, XR30A, SP32
                      TD cutmaster 38 plaz
                      PowCon 300sm w/feeder
                      Lincoln Hi-Freq
                      '05 Topkick Crew 4x4 Duramax Edge Juice w/Att 12' bed

Comment

Originally posted by arcalaska View Post
                        There really is no need to make it "stationary".
                        If you want to use it as a hands free vertical bandsaw..then yes , you need a way to clamp it in a vice without damaging it..

Just make a mount for it Clinton.. you have the tools.

When ours is in the vice , the trigger is locked in the on position , and the cord from the portaband runs to a momentary foot switch which runs to the electrical outlet. To be safe , unplug the foot switch when youre not using it for a while or you are out of the shop so someone else doesnt have an accident.

That is... if you get a portaband lol.. hope this helps

Comment

Seeing you are working on a tight budget, don’t get sucked into buying cheep blades for any band saw. There is a HUGE difference in cut quality and longevity with quality blades. My first shop saw was a HF 4x6, w/ the HF blades it would not cut straight. Good quality blades and keeping up on keeping everything tight and aligned right it worked for a few years. It was replaced with a dry cut chop saw for speed. Now the dry cut chop saw is about to be replaced by an Ellis 1800 band saw.

Mark
                          Dynasty 200DX w/Coolmate 3
                          MM252
                          MM251
                          Hypertherm 600 Plasma
                          Ready Welder II (Trail repairs)
                          One really big hammer for the rest

Comment

Working...
                          X