New Lincoln Migs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott V View Post
    That was never a performance advantage what so ever. I figured having the Tweco 4 backend on the Lincoln was more important. A bigger drive motor and a top roller gear drive is a real improvement . Lincolns always had a tougher drive motor, I never bought into the cast aluminum drive housing deal. I had that setup early on but Miller saved money elsewhere. Like the motor itself. It sold a lot of machines for Miller but it did not mean jack.
    I know what you mean about the drive housing but I still think what Lincoln is doing will have a big impact on these type units. I have always shied away from these small machines because I thought they were pretty cheaply constructed, Miller and Lincoln. They did work just fine (mostly) but when the Passport came out, it was by far the best thing going when it came to the way it was constructed, not to metion that IMO it welds good too.

Lincoln seems to have taken direct aim at Miller in this machine category and if it is as good in person as it looks on paper, I would certainly be interested. I think by building a more robust unit overall, and keeping it in the realm of affordability like they seem to be doing, will translate into some big sales in this category. The way the little Lincolns weld is pretty well documented and I see no reason why these new units wouldn't be the same, or better.

The other thing no one has mentioned is that these new Lincolns have the option of a spot timer kit which is a nice feature IMO. I am going to check w/my rep on Monday and see if I can get any more info.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

The potted tray and wind tunnel setups are real good improvements.
      The top driven drive roll and bigger motor are nice if you want to run a
      15ft gun on the little guy. Those things are great in that class of machines.
      I do know for a fact that nobody is standing still and Lincoln better be
      excellent in all areas of arc quality or it's going to be in second place.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V View Post
        I do know for a fact that nobody is standing still.......
        And that is good for everybody.
        Dynasty 350DX
        Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
        MM 350P
        MM Passport Plus
        Spectrum 375 Extreme
        08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

In all honesty, if we decide to add a 110V unit to our little venture here, we may well consider the red one!

Or I may fall in love with my MM210 once we get power to it ( almost there - should be by noon tomorrow ) so much that I would not want to shame it by bringing on a red headed step child into the family! ( no offense to any real step child )

LOL

Comment

They have a wind tunnel and muffin fans also, I remember when I caught a lot of flak for using a muffin fan in a wind tunnel when building my cooler ... which by the way is much quieter than any I have seen and is still keeping the coolant tempature under 85º no matter how hard I push it.
            Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
            Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
            Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
            Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Well I have not much room to talk about welders due to lack of experience but I wonder if Lincoln has made any improvement on Duty Cycle. I'd like to see a 135 or 140 amp machine capable of at least a 50% duty cycle at full power output.

This is of concern to me, so much so that I bought a MM210 as opposed to a MM175.

A 120V machine may well be in my future, in fact I think it is and I will be sure to watch this forum to see how these new machines stack up against each other on a welding cart and not on a pdf formatted brochure!

Comment

[QUOTE=Scott V;67750] Lincoln better be excellent in all areas of arc quality or it's going to be in second place.[/QUOTE

Errr. Don't you mean third or maybe even 4th !! Miller will always be number ONE !

Side from this debate, how have things been going with you?
                Mike. R

Dynasty 300dx tig runner w/ 3 torch Versa-Tig torch changer {wt-20f, wt-24f, mt-125}
                MM 251/30a/4015 roughneck
                Miller portable spot welder
                Inferno >>> Big Window Elite

Comment

Originally posted by harcosparky View Post
                  I'd like to see a 135 or 140 amp machine capable of at least a 50% duty cycle at full power output.
                  Ok personally, I wouldn’t even drag one of these things home if it was free, but that’s just me! And I’m entitled to my opinion!

For the life of me, I can’t figure out why anybody would build, or buy a wire feed that wasn’t 100 % duty cycle? Isn’t that the purpose of a wire feed? I’ve been out of the trade for quite some time, but I still have that “John Henery” attitude! Back in the day I just love to make a 400-amp machine beg for mercy! And I was always paid by the hour!

Comment

Pilebuck these machines have there place as long as there kept in them i run one often at work a 135plus lincoln w/ solid wire and fluxcore on hvac duct and 316 ss w/ tri mix all .030 wire dia.When we run them at work i don,t pay much attention to the duty cycle and they tend to stay right with us as long as you have clean power and no more than 100' of cord dropped.Then again if i burnt one up i have nothing to loss just call the shop and tell them to send another this one just crapped out.i I also don,t own one of these units but have thought of buying one.Just my thoughts on these mini migs./
                    BB402D
                    TB300D
                    DIMENSION652
                    MM250X
                    MAXSTAR140
                    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

I can just see my electric service begging for mercy if I tried to run a 400amp wire machine in my garage/shop.
                      Regards, George

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown View Post
                        I can just see my electric service begging for mercy if I tried to run a 400amp wire machine in my garage/shop.
                        George I was talking engine drives, 90 to 95 % of my welding experience has been on engine drives, sorry for not being clearer!

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck
                          George I was talking engine drives, 90 to 95 % of my welding experience has been on engine drives, sorry for not being clearer!
                          I knew that, just trying to inject some humor ... it's raining here today and kinda gloomly, I can certinly see where the arc on a 120V machine would seem kinda puny if you been using ones with all that power. My 120V mig just sits in the corner on a shelf these days, maybe I will take the cover off today and see if it still works, however my 120V H125EZ (fluxcore only) gets used all the time.
                          Regards, George

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown View Post
                            I knew that, just trying to inject some humor
                            This picture is of J Hall's 55-D, but I had the same machine at one time. I use to work for wages, and rent my machine by the month. When I worked tie-backs, I would do lots of beam fab. I remember timing myself once. I could run an honest 3/8-inch fillet 12-inches long in under 60-seconds if memory serves. Now this was welding 3/4-inch thick plates to the flanges of the H / I-beams. I remember while doing this when I would get within an inch of the edge of the 3/4-inch plate I would have to angle the gun way back, or blow out the plate.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Coalsmoke I do see your point! But I’ve yet to see a machine you couldn’t turn down! It’s just a slight turn of the wrist on that dial, but it’s hard to turn them up passed their rated capacity, unless you have a 48-inch pipe wrench

Comment

The duty cycles are low with these machines guys but take my word i have brutalized all brands miller,lincoln,hobarts 120 volt machines and have only killed about 2 in 15yrs of pounding them. What i have noticed is clean power source is a must also first thing in the morning starting out they tend to be sluggish then they seem to wake up after the first 5 minutes of welding and perform well/I never could figure this out though
                                BB402D
                                TB300D
                                DIMENSION652
                                MM250X
                                MAXSTAR140
                                S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                                HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Working...
                                X