No announcement yet.

Mig weld pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin + Dan, what are the advantages of the puhs and pause or circular methods over a straight bead? TJ
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Miller CP 200 w/S21-E & Spoolmatic 3
    Miller Bobcat 225

Hobart R-300

"There are two kind of people in this world. Those who can weld and those who can't." Jesse James

Comment

Originally posted by TJsparks View Post
      Kevin + Dan, what are the advantages of the puhs and pause or circular methods over a straight bead? TJ
      I won't speak on Dan's behalf but as far as I cal tell the difference is purely asthetic. I guess it just depends on what style/technique you get used to.
      Dynasty 350DX
      Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
      MM 350P
      MM Passport Plus
      Spectrum 375 Extreme
      08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown View Post
        Since you just want pictures here's a vertical down on 1/4" with .030 wire, it was done using Dan's elliptical motion, well that is as near as I can get to it anyway.
        Sundown, I'm new at mig and noticed something in your picture that I want to ask about. Don't take this as a criticism, I'm asking because I see the same thing in some of my welds. It appears that the bead is not "washed in" fulling along the edges. Is this normal with mig? I'm an old stick welder and I know the bead characteristics are different. I just need to know what to look for so that I can improve. I'm still getting used to the travel speed with mig. I tend to want to go a little too slow and this results in a little more metal deposited than is necessary. Hints, comments, and pictures are helpful to me.
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-Tx View Post
          Sundown, I'm new at mig and noticed something in your picture that I want to ask about. Don't take this as a criticism, I'm asking because I see the same thing in some of my welds. It appears that the bead is not "washed in" fulling along the edges. Is this normal with mig? I'm an old stick welder and I know the bead characteristics are different. I just need to know what to look for so that I can improve. I'm still getting used to the travel speed with mig. I tend to want to go a little too slow and this results in a little more metal deposited than is necessary. Hints, comments, and pictures are helpful to me.
          Don't worry about criticising any welds I put here, I have a long ways to go before getting into Dan, Kevin's, and many others expertise. Anyway, I think that because I was in kinda a hurry I was using full circles instead of the elliptical motion at Dan uses and the circles are too big, meaning I think they are not tight enough to the last one. Also since we are talking about the weld, the profile is off as I did not slow down enough while crossing the center. Dan had a weld picture that had the motion drawn on the bead posted some time ago, I searched for it and could not find it. Maybe he can post it again, also Kevin did a description of his weld procedure, search and you should be able to find it also. I see you have a MM210, if you are using .035 wire and going slower that necessary you will get too much deposit, try going to .030 as the MM210 likes that size better IMO anyway.
          Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
          Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
          Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
          Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

1 & 2

Originally posted by Dan
            Here are a couple sample welds, on 1/8" from two different units. Both were ran with pretty much a straight travel. I might have used a very slight side to side motion as i traveled along though.

Since your running a 120V unit, that tend to be border line on 1/8", I am also including a picture of a weld produced using an elliptical motion that might be useful for you to use with your unit on 1/8". With my 230V unit, I normal only use this oscillation for the most part on 1/4", and only ocassional then. However, in the past I 've used it on 1/8" too, running one of these smaller 120V units, which is why I am providing you with a sample.
            I like the looks of # 1 & 2 I'm not much on the looks of the stacked dime welds...may be the stick welder in me . If i can ever get mine loking like the first two that's where I 'll stay and be happy. Thanks for the pics, Farris
            Gone But Never Forgotten!

Comment

George, I'm using .030 in the MM210. I know that I need more practice. Thanks for the reply and help.
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by fyoung
                I like the looks of # 1 & 2 I'm not much on the looks of the stacked dime welds...may be the stick welder in me . If i can ever get mine loking like the first two that's where I 'll stay and be happy. Thanks for the pics, Farris
                I'm with you on this, I know they are all exellent welds but the stack of dimes thing doesn't look structureally sound to me, kind of like little weld stencils layed down on top of each other where as the other looks very solid and strong.
                To all who contribute to this board.
                My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                Miller Syncrowave 250
                Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

i just realised the only pics i have of my mig welds are the vise i made....slaps forehead! you can see a closeup of the 3 pass welds on the base of the vise in the link in my sig.

i will have to get some more mig pics
                  The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

I just drag it sometimes will do circles to make it look pretty but **** I'm still learning to.

Comment

Working...
                    X