Mig weld pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig weld pics

can some of you guys post what a mig weld should look like?
    Im getting beads with no fish scales.

what do you mean....no fish scales?

marty
    Miller Synchrowave 250
    OTC 300DM with external wire feeder
    Miller XLi Dale Sr., fibre metal hoods
    Metaltek of Ky. Inc.
    Home of the Stephensburg weld

Comment

its just a smooth bead, no half circle lines

Comment

there are many variables that effect how a mig weld looks, two of the biggest are gas type and motion used while welding. what gas are you using and are you using any type of motion while welding?
        The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

im using C25 and no im not using any motion while welding, when i do my bead becomes crooked

Comment

if you are trying to achieve the "fish scale" look try stopping momentarily when pushing the bead, push for a second, stop for a second, push for a second, stop for a second and so on.
            The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Originally posted by tigman250 View Post
              if you are trying to achieve the "fish scale" look try stopping momentarily when pushing the bead, push for a second, stop for a second, push for a second, stop for a second and so on.
              or if you are pushing to your left, try a counterclockwise motion....to the right clockwise motion.

marty
              Miller Synchrowave 250
              OTC 300DM with external wire feeder
              Miller XLi Dale Sr., fibre metal hoods
              Metaltek of Ky. Inc.
              Home of the Stephensburg weld

Comment

Sorry but this is all I have. Maybe Dan will post some of his robotic mig welds. Now let's see what you have got.
                Dynasty 350DX
                Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                MM 350P
                MM Passport Plus
                Spectrum 375 Extreme
                08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

The only way to fix a crooked bead is to practice, its not like tig where your bead is always uniform unless you swirl the torch every which way. The motion in which you move the gun determines the bead width. I learned by using a pigtail motion, like a loop de loop. Get some pics of your work.

Comment

he he he, i wrote my teachers name on a piece of metal with the mm135 and am going to give it to him tommorow

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
                      Sorry but this is all I have. Maybe Dan will post some of his robotic mig welds. Now let's see what you have got.

Dang it Kevin, can't you run something else besides that Passport. Now I am going to be starring at the PDF files (spec sheets) on the unit all evening. And then will have to spend another day convincing myself i don't actually need it. Thanks alot.

Comment

im going to try the stoping thing tommorow when i get somemore gas

Comment

Here are a couple sample welds, on 1/8" from two different units. Both were ran with pretty much a straight travel. I might have used a very slight side to side motion as i traveled along though.

Since your running a 120V unit, that tend to be border line on 1/8", I am also including a picture of a weld produced using an elliptical motion that might be useful for you to use with your unit on 1/8". With my 230V unit, I normal only use this oscillation for the most part on 1/4", and only ocassional then. However, in the past I 've used it on 1/8" too, running one of these smaller 120V units, which is why I am providing you with a sample.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Since you just want pictures here's a vertical down on 1/4" with .030 wire, it was done using Dan's elliptical motion, well that is as near as I can get to it anyway.
                            Attached Files
                            Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                            Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                            Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                            Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Can someone describe the elliptical motion?? i usually just weave and i get smooth beads. Am i doing something wrong?
                              Dynasty 200 DX
                              Millermatic 175
                              Spectrum 375
                              All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Working...
                              X