Where to buy coupon bender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris2626 View Post
    Engloid I know this is kinda old post but I checked at school today to see what kinda bender we have and there is no name i do know it is hydroliclly driven and is all electric there is no pupming of any handle. I don't know if this thing was home made or not but is nice. by the way thanks for help with my 2G pipe it came out great today. Thanks

Chris
    Glad your test came out well!!

I think we may just go with xray testing. If we consider the cost of having guys cut and prep bend coupons, in addition to the lost production, the cost will probably come out to equal to what it costs to get an xray done...and we will get a discount if we do several xrays at once. Not only that, but we can easily store the xrays for recordkeeping.

I really didn't think that xray would be the cost-effective option. However, I needed to show all options before I went for approval to buy something. Good thing I did, cause this will be a lot easier, and more effective.

Comment

I was told in school that cutting the coupons out and bending them in a machine is alot hard to pass then to x-ray the weld is this true?

Chris

Comment

all I know is if it isn't welded a 100% with the bend test then it is going to break lol

Comment

I was told in school that cutting the coupons out and bending them in a machine is alot hard to pass then to x-ray the weld is this true?

Chris
          That really depends on how well you can weld. I'd rather xray because I don't have to cut out and prepare the bend specimens.

Comment

Coalsmoke can you post some pictures of x-ray welds?

Comment

Chris
              I have heard this also. I know I’ve taken pipe test where they would UT or shoot them before bending. Their theory was it’s a lot less labor to shoot or UT, then cut prep, bend and have a guy fail.

Years ago I did an open root pipe test at the San Francisco airport, soon as I was done they UT’ed it, perfect, couldn’t find anything , took the pipe in to prep it for bending and tensile. Next day they came back and ask me right in front of the whole crew, “ What the **** did you do to that pipe”? I guess the coupons shattered like glass . So I look around for the foreman to see if he has my check. He puts me to beveling pipe while the other guys finish their test. Couple days later same thing everybody fails the bend, but passed the UT. Ran some test on the pipe; results came back the used pipe the company had bought from Colorado Coal and Steam was not weld able . Man was that a relief to me I needed that job!

Comment

Coalsmoke thank you for the website gosh I almost couldn't tell what was wrong on one of the pictures of course i'm not to sure what exactly to look for. You don't have to post those picture the website is enough thank you that was cool.

Pile Buck I'm glad you didn't get into trouble on that job and thank god everyones test failed so they had to know something was up with the pipe.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chris2626
                  Pile Buck I'm glad you didn't get into trouble on that job and thank god everyones test failed so they had to know something was up with the pipe.

Chris
                  Yeah I just knew I had a fork stuck in me. The other guys were regulars with the company. I remember over hearing a radio conversation (no cell phones in those days) with this foreman and one of the owners of the company. The foreman wanted all our checks for failing the test. I heard the owner say “JR, these are the best weldors we can find, think about it…. If everyone failed there must be another reason, anyway if anybody goes down the road it will be you!”

Comment

This thread is back. I may need to get a rotary type of bender for another application, and may be able to kill two birds with one stone. Any of you know of some good places to check into these?

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                      What about just building one? I'm doing a press through type right now, heck, I'd even make them to sell, if I thought there was enough of a market for them. Once you get the conceptual bit down, the rest is just putting the pieces together
                      I really don't have time to do it. At work, I'm way too busy, and don't work in the shop anymore. At home, I'm busy with family and other hobbies.

Comment

Poor guy, sounds like you've been slipped into management? Do you still remember how to turn your 300 on?
                        Management of the best kind...I got the title, but directly supervise nobody!!!
                        What do you think a basic 20 ton bottle jack style push through bender for standard 3/8" coupons should be worth? I was thinking of selling them for $450Canadian a piece
                        That would probably be a nice price on them, especially if they had removable pieces, so you can change the bend radius. By the time you made a few, you could easily reduce speed to half what it originally took to make one. Running a batch of 10 would lower it a lot.

Comment

Working...
                        X