No announcement yet.

disconnect batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...very large voltage spike that occurs unavoidably when the arc is switched OFF.
    Thanks for taking the time to explain the details. That makes a lot of sense.

I've also read that the hi-freq starting circuit on TIG welders may wreck electronics.
    Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
    HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
    Clarke Hotshot

Comment

Pile Buck
      that is one sweeeeeeet looking bed man ! you must get a lot of compliments on that babby.
      that hole relerning thing is just stupid, what a $.50 battery to hold the menory was just too much to add to the original design????? just more POOOOO to make you think you have to take it to the dealer for any and all work on it.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

I always use an antizap at work and i dont think we have ever had a problem with it

Comment

YEAH STICK if at all possible dont take any chances. cost to $$$$$$$$$.
          disconnect that batt. Itll make ya happy in the long run pocket too.
          i waas taught that any vechicle especially construction equip the batt should be disconnected prior to welding.
          Call up CAT GROOVE TENEK. that should help also.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by weldone View Post
            YEAH STICK if at all possible dont take any chances. cost to $$$$$$$$$.
            disconnect that batt. Itll make ya happy in the long run pocket too.
            i waas taught that any vechicle especially construction equip the batt should be disconnected prior to welding.
            Call up CAT GROOVE TENEK. that should help also.

Dave
            I can't believe I ever doubted your knowledge and expertise. You should really become a member of this forum too.

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php

And if you haven't already, join this one too.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/

There are a lot of folks who could benefit from the knowledge that a guy like you has.
            Dynasty 350DX
            Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
            MM 350P
            MM Passport Plus
            Spectrum 375 Extreme
            08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
              Pile Buck
              that is one sweeeeeeet looking bed man ! you must get a lot of compliments on that babby.
              Nope you’re the first, and thank you for saying so

Here is a picture of the bumper I cut out.
              Attached Files

Comment

wow hard to believe no one has mentioned how cool that thing is. i'm not a big fan of the ford's myself but i know a cool looking bed when i see one.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
                  i'm not a big fan of the ford's myself
                  Ah! LMAO , me neither especially after owning this one. Try keeping the intercooler hose on the turbo when hitting 30+ pounds of boost. Ford can’t seen to do it , so this is how a bridge / dock builder does it. Not pretty, but hasn’t come off since! Note the exhaust clamps, and turnbuckles.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
                    I can't believe I ever doubted your knowledge and expertise. You should really become a member of this forum too.

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php

And if you haven't already, join this one too.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/

There are a lot of folks who could benefit from the knowledge that a guy like you has.
                    when i do ill be sure to let it be known that kbfabs envited me so get the guys ready ok.

Comment

LOL gotta do what ya gotta do, but it shore would have been nice if ford would have taken care of that befor they started selling them.
                      well atleast it looks cool.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      JAMES

Comment

Can someone explain how a surge protection device would work? I can understand how it would work on my computer as the flow must go through it to get to the computer but on a machine/car there would be multiple paths for it to get to the electronics wouldn't there? If I'm welding on the frame & have a surge protector on the battery couldn't the surge just follow a path through where the electronics are grounded to the frame? I know I'm missing something here.---MMW---
                        MM250
                        Trailblazer 250g
                        22a feeder
                        Lincoln ac/dc 225
                        Victor O/A
                        MM200 black face
                        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                        Arco roto-phase model M
                        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                        Miller spectrum 875
                        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                        Syncrowave 250
                        RCCS-14

Comment

"Better safe than sorry. Usually I keep the ground clamp real close to the weld if I don't disconnect the batt. If I do disconnect the battery I just hook up a 9 volt battery to the vehicle's battery leads, this will keep the memory in the computer so there will not have to be a relearn. This is how I do it at work on fleet trucks (most of the time). "
                          I see,,, so we take one battery out and install another one? There is an explanation that made sense a couple of years ago on this board and the conclusion was to disconnect the + lead. I dont remember all the details. I have welded on hundreds, maybe even thousands of pieces of equipment and never removed a battery, not once for welding unless it was on the batt box. I ask my engineer about this and especially with common equipment he says no reason, none. What really does catch my attn is that newer cars have so many plastic parts that wire harnesses have complicated interconnected ground wires within wiring harnesses that an alternative ground loop could occur within the harness.

Comment

I see,,, so we take one battery out and install another one?
                            That is what I am having trouble understanding.
                            And also, Why would disconnecting the ground cable from the battery have any bearing on the effects of welding current?

So, if you are welding on a structure and are in the vicinity of a variable frequency drive for an electric motor, now what do you disconnect?
                            So far we have not fried any drives and they are a sophisticated electronic component..

BTW, I weld on the back of my Fords and have never had a problem.
                            Jeff

Comment

confused also j hall

I,m also i have never disconnected batteries and have had no trouble maybe just luck.But i weld on the back of my 04-550 and have done no damage either.
                              BB402D
                              TB300D
                              DIMENSION652
                              MM250X
                              MAXSTAR140
                              S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                              HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

I know a couple equipment dealers, one with new trucks and they dont either, body shops too. I am not realy qualified to ssay not to do it but this thread is more about the need to do it. It can create a lot of potential problems and dangers fooling with batteries too. As for burning up parts and fuses, well, sometimes its suprising how many coincidences there are with guys that work on equipment daily, and a lot of that doesnt have the greatest wiring etc to start with. I could have assumes we put a fuel guage out the other day from a weld job but when I checked the operator said it had started acting up earlier. I had a switch just up and die the other day when we did something on the other end of the tractor, had been working for years. Here is another one that happened not too long ago. My auto mechanic Bud brings his wifes car over for a little frame repair, a localized thing in the rear somwhat near the fuel tank and difficult enough that he didnt want to do it himself. So he is about half jagged anyway and has been working on this car, well I fix the spot, its a job well done and half way the 5 miles back to town somethin is smoking and on fire. He calls up, hey,,, you wrecked the car. I said, well maybe so but I looked before I did the job, a couple times, no wires, no lines, no fuel or vapor lines and I ground right on top of the work, he had extensively rewired this car so,,, maybe something got caught up. Next day he sobers up, goes to investigate and calls me back about noon, whoops, left a couple wire ties off it seems and the thing comes down on the exhaust. 5 minutes after I work on it another problem in the same physical local, go figure, without some real forensic work we could have jumped to what would have been likely the obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                X