Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many people say "arc welding"???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am looking at the 14th edition of the James F. Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation book titled "The Procedure Handbook Of Arc Welding". I don't believe it covers oxy/act.

Comment

Originally posted by tigman250
      isn't stick welding SMAW?
      Doh!!! yeah, I guess I wasn't thinking as fast as my fingers were typing.

Comment

Originally posted by hankj View Post
        He, he. Been there, done that!

It's a good point, though. Arc welding is all of the processes that use an electric arc to do the deed.

Engloid, I'd guess a large percentage of the welding population can't mimic your TIG skills. I'll sure as **** never get there. But, I think that the vast majority of hobby weldors don't have a lot of terminology savvy, and even some of the "pros" lack education in the finer points. It's us textbook learners that know the terms, we just can't weld so good!

Hank
        It's not so much anybody's skill level that bothers me, it's how the companies seem to advertise their products, promoting incorrect terminology.

Another peeve of mine is "welding helmet." If it's a helmet then why is it only made to protect the skin and eyes? It's a welding HOOD or SHIELD. It in no way takes the place of a hard hat.
        Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
        Hmmmm. Let us ponder this a bit more.

SMAW = Sheilded Metal ARC Welding

GMAW = Gas Metal ARC Welding

GTAW = Gas Tungsten ARC Welding

Air Carbon ARC Cutting

And the list goes on. What is the common denominator? I'll let you decide but it should be no surprise that the term gets used interchangeably.
        I think you missed my point, possibly because of my typo. It just bugs me to hear somebody mention "arc" welding when they really mean stick welding. You get on message forums and somebody will inevitably be asking, "I know you can TIG aluminum, but can you arc weld it?" ummm sure, tig is a form of arc welding.

Originally posted by Rvannatta View Post
        I see "arc welding" as a generic reference to any kind of electric welding which is very different from 'gas welding' -- something not all that common anymore, and 'forge welding' ---even less common.
        That's definitely a lot more accurate definition than I often hear. "forge welding"...aka electro-slag? I don't know that I've heard the term forge welding.

Comment

You guys must have something better to do... right? lol

Comment

That gets on my nerves too.

I also hate it when somebody comes into my shop and sees me TIG welding something and says "You gonna weld that with a brazin' rod?" or "I don't want no new fangled war (wire) welding done on mah stuff!" "I want it arc welded with a sixtylebbem so's it'll hold (6011)!"

BUT, I call it a helmet sometimes. Please forgive me. I haven't been on here for awhile. Looks kinda different.
            Zeb's Welding and Machine

Comment

Originally posted by Protraxrptr17 View Post
              That gets on my nerves too.

I also hate it when somebody comes into my shop and sees me TIG welding something and says "You gonna weld that with a brazin' rod?" or "I don't want no new fangled war (wire) welding done on mah stuff!" "I want it arc welded with a sixtylebbem so's it'll hold (6011)!"
              I'd be tempted to whip out a 6011 and hand it to them.

Originally posted by Protraxrptr17 View Post
              BUT, I call it a helmet sometimes. Please forgive me. I haven't been on here for awhile. Looks kinda different.
              <Engloid makes a note adding another user to the "I wish I could ignore" list.>

Comment

Maybe so many people call it "arc welding" because noone correct them and home depot calls SMAW welders "arc welders".

Comment

Originally posted by clintonwelding1 View Post
                  Maybe so many people call it "arc welding" because noone correct them and home depot calls SMAW welders "arc welders".
                  I believe that's the case. I could understand them calling it a stick welder, which may not be the technical term, but at least it's a more fitting term.

Comment

Originally posted by Engloid View Post
                    It's STICK welding, or SMAW!! (edited, per brain fart)

TIG, MIG, Plasma, and subarc are all "arc welding," so don't say "arc" when you mean "stick."
                    Because that was what I was told by my high school teacher when I first started to learn welding.
                    If you were proficient at gas and arc welding then you got to use the heili arc, It was a very complex machine way more knobs and gizmos to deal with it was nothing like the arc welder
                    Pliers
                    Screwdriver
                    Hammer

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Job View Post
                      Because that was what I was told by my high school teacher when I first started to learn welding.
                      If you were proficient at gas and arc welding then you got to use the heili arc, It was a very complex machine way more knobs and gizmos to deal with it was nothing like the arc welding
                      ...and that leads to another peeve of mine... the teachers we have for welding these days are lacking in a lot of ways. Your teacher should have known the correct terminology and taught you. Not only that, but he should have called it TIG or GTAW, not heliarc....unless you used helium, which I doubt.

THe high school I went to had a pretty good teacher, and now has two. I know both of them, and they will make the program much better than it ever has been. They have experience, knowledge, and can show the kids, not just tell them, how it's done. Students from this school have always done well in state competitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Engloid View Post
                        ...and that leads to another peeve of mine... the teachers we have for welding these days are lacking in a lot of ways. Your teacher should have known the correct terminology and taught you. Not only that, but he should have called it TIG or GTAW, not heliarc....unless you used helium, which I doubt.

THe high school I went to had a pretty good teacher, and now has two. I know both of them, and they will make the program much better than it ever has been. They have experience, knowledge, and can show the kids, not just tell them, how it's done. Students from this school have always done well in state competitions.
                        last year we talked about welding for a day but didnt weld, i knew more than the teacher and corrected almost everything he said, later in the year he asked me to bring in my welder and weld with him for extra credit.

Comment

Originally posted by clintonwelding1 View Post
                          last year we talked about welding for a day but didnt weld, i knew more than the teacher and corrected almost everything he said, later in the year he asked me to bring in my welder and weld with him for extra credit.
                          Sad, that people like that get these cushy jobs that pay pretty decent for about 9 months of work a year.

I think it comes down to poor interviewing processes by the people that hire them. It's not that hard to check a person's references, call and ask how good they are at the trade and such. I think people just get lazy and hire somebody that has a nice resume...and they don't really know how to pick a nice resume either.

Comment

a lot of the time thouse doing the hireing dont know what they are hireing for so how would they know if the one hired knows it eather ??? bit scary to think about but most in the school system realy just get there on time not talent. so if it looks good on paper it must be, right.

Your teacher should have known the correct terminology and taught you. Not only that, but he should have called it TIG or GTAW, not heliarc....unless you used helium, which I doubt
                            true, but i think a lot still consider it heliarc du to the welder that started it. sad but i was asked the other day if i had the ability to heliearc so i could fix a trany case, wile i told him yes i can TIG weld it and its not called that i dought he will make the distintion the next time he refers to it again.
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                            JAMES

Comment

While we are at it.....

I have an engine driven welder (not a motor driven welder) and my truck has an engine. The motor(s) run the wipers, heater, window etc....
                              [B]Trail Blazer 302
                              Suitcase X-TREME 12VS
                              Syncrowave 180SD
                              Coolmate 4
                              Millermatic 175
                              Millermatic 251
                              HT Powermax 180
                              Victor O/A
                              DeWalt DW872 Chop Saw
                              Lathe
                              Milling Machine
                              Bandsaw
                              No matter how hard I try, I always hear about the other guy who can do it better, faster and cheaper. Sure would like to meet him someday but no one seems to be able to find him when I ask. [B]

Comment

I read 29 post and I don't think anyone covered the gasless mig welder. .....................and why can't you weld two brazing rods together with a brazing rod? need an open mind
                                Nick
                                Miller 252 Mig
                                Miller Cricket XL
                                Millermatic 150 Mig
                                Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                                2-O/A outfits
                                Jet Lathe and Mill
                                Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                                DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                                Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                                20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                                Propane Forge
                                60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                                Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                                and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X