Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rig pics

I use propane for pre heat, I just bought steel hinges from welding store
    and I have a electric winch to bring up my table. I just revamped it so not everything was on it for the pics. I don't know why but I revamp it when ever I get slow with work You would think I would have this down by now but I'll bet I change it again down the road.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Comment

• short box?

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
      Dan, looks good. Don't know how you got everything stuck in there though Is that a short box? Looks like you need a larger truck How do you get at the engine service doors on the pipepro?
      It all fits in there, thats why I revamp it so much. It is a short box that way I can get into tight places when you get up north some of those pipeline trails can get very small and muddy. I've gone places that a dually gets stuck in
      cause I don't have that outside tire packed up with snow or mud.The tool boxes slide out from the truck, that way I can get at my welder.
      DODGE 1 TON 6.7
      PIPEPRO 304
      TO MANY TOOLS
      JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
      and easily upset
      go flames go

Comment

• That's a four wheel drive rollaway tool box if I've ever seen one.

On your gas and oxygen, do you guys change out on the job and the company you're working for pay for the gas?

Do you have a trailer to carry materials for side jobs or do you expect to do side jobs the same way you do pipe?
        life is good

Comment

• well i dont know... ....i'm still not convinced, pipeline Dan could have just thrown that stuff on there over the weekend just to pretend to be a welder. i still think he is just making stuff up and dosent realy even have a truck, that looked a lot like a pinto with a few bolt on mod's. i think we need more proof..... .........Sorry as of yet no wicked weasel but I am trying,yea see its all a ploy. i'll believe when we get the weasel shot.

LOL great looking truck.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

• gas and oxygen

Originally posted by wroughtnharv View Post
            That's a four wheel drive rollaway tool box if I've ever seen one.

On your gas and oxygen, do you guys change out on the job and the company you're working for pay for the gas?

Do you have a trailer to carry materials for side jobs or do you expect to do side jobs the same way you do pipe?
            Up here they call it full supply. So I'd get my rate (100-140) per hr plus they pay for gases, fuel and disks , I lease my bottles I yet to have my bottles filled by a pipeline company Its just a pain in the ass for them to fill so usual it ends up being my deal, but as a welder you can always get your money back if you now what I mean. I don't have a trailer and I said that I'll build
            one someday well someday has turned into 7 years. If I need one then I'll rent
            and tack it on to the invoice Its great to have side jobs cause it gets boring
            welding in circles all day
            DODGE 1 TON 6.7
            PIPEPRO 304
            TO MANY TOOLS
            JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
            and easily upset
            go flames go

Comment

• wicked weasel

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
              well i dont know... ....i'm still not convinced, pipeline Dan could have just thrown that stuff on there over the weekend just to pretend to be a welder. i still think he is just making stuff up and dosent realy even have a truck, that looked a lot like a pinto with a few bolt on mod's. i think we need more proof..... .........Sorry as of yet no wicked weasel but I am trying,yea see its all a ploy. i'll believe when we get the weasel shot.

LOL great looking truck.
              fun4now I ran it by her (or did I mean in her) anways she says she's not going to be the only one on here with the wicked wesel so if we can we need to have a few more ladies first. I can't push it to much cause she did tell me
              that its hard to weld with half of a welding truck (divorce) a while ago
              sorry for all the pics but alot of guys don't think you can run a short box
              (old school) so I had to send in that many to show it can be done, I see alot more short boxes and single axles in the oilpatch now and as I see it, that way I buy 4 tires not 6 and it turns on a dime just incase your ever on a
              dime
              DODGE 1 TON 6.7
              PIPEPRO 304
              TO MANY TOOLS
              JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
              and easily upset
              go flames go

Comment

• scales loaded ?

I don't run with my truck loaded alot cause I don't need all that extra stuff
                for the pipeline,I only run loaded if Iam doing facilities or gas plants which is about 20% other 80% im on a pipeline. Alberta is different then BC I've never
                had problems with the truck cops although I understand they are a little more
                sticky with you guys in BC. I was in a camp in northern BC and drove to Alberta side for work(2hrs one way)every day I drove past the weigh station
                and never went in Im not sure if It was luck or the fact that I was stupid. The
                other welders (Alberta trucks) said that if you stop, that you are look'en
                for trouble so I never did. When ever you go past these places do you stop?
                DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                PIPEPRO 304
                TO MANY TOOLS
                JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                and easily upset
                go flames go

Comment

• Nope,,, weldors are never happy.

Comment

• a good weasel pic would likely just get some one upset, i was just playing about all the he dosent have a truck garbage going on and figured if i added the weasel part you would get the joke and not add me to the jerk list.
                    i have a nice pic of the wife on my old work truc but its well into the playboy side of pic's not the welding forem side.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                    JAMES

Comment

• mega cab soon

Coalsmoke If this pipeline thing would start up again I'd go buy a mega cab I had a black one picked out when I went to go buy one this spring (had wife with me)
                      after I wrote the chq I drove home with a new Durango But the wife
                      loved it so I bought the dam thing I guess I'll have to wait until spring now.
                      DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                      PIPEPRO 304
                      TO MANY TOOLS
                      JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                      and easily upset
                      go flames go

Comment

• Scales loaded.

Hi all this is quite a thread!! From my experience the commercial vehicle laws in B.C are much stricter than in Alberta. In B.C. your vehicle weight is not allowed to be over the posted door sticker weight. There is probably some leeway in this but that is at the officer's discretion. Dawson Creek was one of the most notoriuosly strict scales around and apparently it has been closed because of so many complaints? I always dreaded having to go through it and saw welders, fitters, etc. having to take things off because they were overweight. Went around that scale a few times until a guy I know was caught doing so and had to pay a $300.00 fine.
                        Also there is the National Safety code recently implemented across Canada. All commercial vehicles over 4500 kg have to have safety certification, commercial vehicle inspection and a bunch of other crap to cross into another province. Apparently big fines if one goes there without having it. And farmers even have to comply.
                        In Alberta, as Coalsmoke pointed out, commercial vehicles over 4500 kg are required to stop at the scales. Last year I blew by the Whitecourt scale and they chased me down. Made me go back and they wrote out some warnings and weighed my truck. This is where the 2 provinces really differ. In Alberta as long as you are under your registered weight they have no problem. My truck was way under the registered weight, but about 1000 lb.s over door sticker weight and that was okay. In B.C. that would not have been a good thing.
                        Well that is what I have experienced.
                        Remember, this is the Interweb so the above information may not be 100% correct
                        JIM REID
                        2004 Lincoln 300D Kubota
                        2001 GMC 3500 c/w deck
                        Assortment of tools that keeps growing

Comment

• truck weights

holly crap boys I didn't know that. Im going to get mine checked out for sure maybe I'll take a look at there website. I know that I checked It out
                          on one of those do it yourself weigh stations and I was just under door
                          weight by like 70 kgs. when ever I've gone by Whitecourt I have it set on 130
                          so I don't have time to stop but now I'll be look'en. So do you think I guy
                          should be stop'en next time I go through whitecourt? Are they going to in force these new laws that where just put in place or do you think or are they just doing it so it looks good on paper. To bad about your buddy there
                          looks like they did it to make an example out of him. I guess I should watch my regs. I'am bad for leaving them on or should I say that dam helper, that kid is never going to learn. Irwelder are you working right now? cause its dead on my end, looks like its going to start up again around the 15 of oct.
                          I was told that its going to be really crazy again this winter and guys that are working right now are up around 135-140

Irwelder are you from High River?
                          DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                          PIPEPRO 304
                          TO MANY TOOLS
                          JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                          and easily upset
                          go flames go

Comment

• There are calls down here in Texas for more inspections and weight checks on commercial vehicles.

I can see where it needs to be done. We have people using half tons and three quarters haul loads that would make a one ton squat. And every time there's an accident involving a commercial vehicle that's overloaded or unsafe to operate the calls for more aggressive enforcement of the existing laws come in.
                            life is good

Comment

• Originally posted by pipeline Dan View Post
                              Irwelder are you from High River?
                              No, I'm from Grande Prairie. I am off work until after Thanksgiving, my choice. It has been an extremely busy summer up here but has slowed considerably in the last couple of weeks. I primarily work on the facility end of things and don't pipeline often. The rates around here vary from company to company 100 - 130 per hour pipeline and facility. Hopefully it will be a busy winter but as usual only time will tell what it will be like. Isn't it quite wet down in your neck of the woods?
                              I only learned about the NAtional Safety Code thing a few months ago when I switched my company from a sole prop. to a corporation and had to reregister my truck in my company's name. There is no need to worry about it if you are not planning to go out of province. And then you only need to worry about it if you are over 4500 kg. To run in Alberta no compliance is neccessary if you are under 11000 kg or something like that. Being so close to B.C. it is inevitable that I work there at least a few days a year.
                              Coalsmoke, I know a guy from B.C that had a real nightmare with the Dawson Creek scales. They chased him down in town and took him to the scale. He was way overweight and they made him leave his truck there. He had to remove the welder and cut most of his toolboxes off. They let him go but told him he had to get an NSC number because of his weight. I haven't seen him for awhile but last I heard he has been avoiding the scales and hasn't gotten a number. Hopefully he hasn't been caught by them for his sake. Fortuneately, I can make my truck light enough to get a permit there.
                              After being chased down by the Vehicle inspection officers I always stop at the Alberta scales now. I don't go onto the scales, just chug slowly by their building and they wave me through....
                              Remember, this is the Interweb so the above information may not be 100% correct
                              JIM REID
                              2004 Lincoln 300D Kubota
                              2001 GMC 3500 c/w deck
                              Assortment of tools that keeps growing

Comment

• I always hated going over the scales so I updated and went with the F-550 and have a gvw of 17500Lb.
                                I would hate to have to leave tools I need at home.
                                a friend of mine bought a 3500 dodge. He was always complaining how he was going through brakes, front end parts, tires, and the last straw was breaking his rear axle housing.
                                Buying a truck that is correctly rated for what you need is cheaper in the long run.
                                They make the F-550 in 3 different chassis lengths, the tow truck wheel base with 4 Wheel drive will go alot of places.
                                My friend that had the dodge now owns one of the big chevys, I think its the 4500, He has had fuel problems, radiator problemd, engine blowby problems, ounce again he went cheap and bought a gas engine and cant keep fuel in it and his bed is chest high making it hard to work off the back.
                                So in short I like my F-550 because its still the size of a 1 ton but has big truck features. the only major problems I Had was that the clutch broke a spring on the disc 2 times when it was newer but they must have fixed it because the new clutch has been in it for the last 70,000 miles and I now have 144000 miles on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X