Welding rigs -- Details

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burninbriar
    The ability to keep things indoors is nice.
    I couldn’t agree more . It just drives me crazy to have my stuff out in the rain. I’m setting here waiting on the county for the final inspection on this equipment shed.

A lot smaller scale than Cary’s, but should hold me for a few years.
    Attached Files

Comment

I take it that you use the wood to heat the shop ? Are planning the hoist for inside the shop where the pallets in the picture are ?
      One of these days I'd like a nice size shop like that so I can move around. I have an old wood 2x6 that runs across the ceiling but I'm afreid to hoist much on it, especially since its an integral part of the building.
      To all who contribute to this board.
      My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
      Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
      Miller Syncrowave 250
      Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck
        I couldn’t agree more . It just drives me crazy to have my stuff out in the rain. I’m setting here waiting on the county for the final inspection on this equipment shed.

A lot smaller scale than Cary’s, but should hold me for a few years.
        I am thinking of a simular type building just to get some stuff out of the shop.
        Thats a really nice looking location from what I can see of it. Do you have much land there?

Pureox OA
        Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
          Do you have much land there?
          It depends on whether you are asking him or his neighbor...

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702
            It depends on whether you are asking him or his neighbor...
            Oh Mac you’re lucky I wasn’t drinking anything when I read this . Just got an e-mail from my lawyer today, pretrial hearing 10-6

Comment

looks like I stired up a sensitive issue here, sorry. It does look like some beutifull land there though.Hope its not to serious.

Pureox OA
              Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar
                looks like I stired up a sensitive issue here, sorry. It does look like some beutifull land there though.Hope its not to serious.
                Oh no, neighbor is just trying to steal 1 1/3-acres from me, no big deal really.

It’s only money

Comment

I saw that on SFT Carl, it looks sharp and the layout is great for storage. No space lost to driveway.

Comment

loss of land

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
                    Oh no, neighbor is just trying to steal 1 1/3-acres from me, no big deal really.

It’s only money
                    Must be city people moving into the country. Same thing happened to my inlaws, got it surveyed and it turns out he had 5 feet of there land makes it tough to wave to the neighbor when you drive buy. Nice size shop you have there.
                    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                    PIPEPRO 304
                    TO MANY TOOLS
                    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                    and easily upset
                    go flames go

Comment

• The point I was making earlier about keeping material on the truck is sometimes you run across something you didn't anticipate, or the customer thinks of something else for you to do while you're there, I pick up a lot of additional work simply because I carry a lot of steel and aluminum with me. BTW, I keep a large inventory of steel here in the yard, it's all outside, it's all rusty to various degrees, my experience is if you show up when you're needed, and you have the right material on hand, nobody worries about a little rust.

Pipeline Dan, any luck on those pictures yet?? We're still waiting on a pipe rig here . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by calweld
                        The point I was making earlier about keeping material on the truck is sometimes you run across something you didn't anticipate, or the customer thinks of something else for you to do while you're there, I pick up a lot of additional work simply because I carry a lot of steel and aluminum with me. BTW, I keep a large inventory of steel here in the yard, it's all outside, it's all rusty to various degrees, my experience is if you show up when you're needed, and you have the right material on hand, nobody worries about a little rust.

Pipeline Dan, any luck on those pictures yet?? We're still waiting on a pipe rig here . . .
                        time off so I moved my skid around I'm about 3/4 of the way there
                        and I'll be sending them soon. My wife is helping me set it all up
                        she says I have to much chrome and that you guys will just laugh
                        I guess we'll see.
                        DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                        PIPEPRO 304
                        TO MANY TOOLS
                        JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                        and easily upset
                        go flames go

Comment

• welding rig

I'll be sending them in very soon. I wished I could say I was too busy to send
                          them but the patch is very dead right now. I just had some pimple faced kid break in and take stuff.and of course the cop said they were to busy to find the stuff. I guess I'm lucky cause my tool box was unlocked which they could of got away with alot of tools. So if things don't pick up soon then keep your eyes open on e-bay for used welding rig ( Maybe you can hire me for a helper so I can start from sq. one). Oh by the way I now have a bat by
                          my bed and a paint ball gun by the door. In Alberta we are rednecks but they still don't allow guns to take out the bad guys.
                          DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                          PIPEPRO 304
                          TO MANY TOOLS
                          JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                          and easily upset
                          go flames go

Comment

• no work

I'm not sure but oil is going down but gas is going up fuel prices are also dropping. I see almost a new truck rigged up driving down the road every day.
                            I was told that is going to be even busyer then last winter. I know one thing
                            there's nothing funnier then somebody driving down the road with there new
                            truck all ready to go to work, only thing is there welder is pointed to passenger side of truck and there tong on drivers side and ground on passengers side. When I spooled up I talked to alot of old guys and why they set up there truck the way they did I even seen a welder show up in a Honda
                            pick up and no cables grinder or even a torch he thought that he maybe could use "one of the other welders cables" I **** you not! Anyways I'm not sure why the patch has gone for **** but there is a lot of guy sitting now. As you can see I've been on here for alot of the day.
                            DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                            PIPEPRO 304
                            TO MANY TOOLS
                            JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                            and easily upset
                            go flames go

Comment

• Well, while we're waiting for a pipe rig here's another option for those who want to do a little portable work without dedicating an expensive truck for that purpose only. Last summer, when I had a little breather, I whipped together this welder skid, a 40" x 48" quarter-inch aluminum diamond plate, has oxygen/acetelyne, welder, fire extinguisher, and a 36" x 18" x 19" Knack box.

You would be amazed what can be fit into a box that size, pictures are pretty self-explanatory, pretty much everything one would need for a simple fab or repair in the field.

I've used it several times now, most recently up in the hills doing some installation and field welding on a handrail job, also a couple times when it was just a quick weld, takes five minutes to load and tie it in the pickup or on the flatbed and you're gone, sometimes it seems overkill bringing the IHC out for some of the simple stuff, and with the cost of fuel nowadays, this is making more sense all the time.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• calweld

That 301g is a great welder that was like the first welder I ever bought. That
                                skid looks like it can be put in a truck quick and easy.
                                DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                                PIPEPRO 304
                                TO MANY TOOLS
                                JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                                and easily upset
                                go flames go

Comment

Working...
                                X