No announcement yet.

Welding rigs -- Details

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL yep the pic's are the same. well now no one else will have to suffer threw what you did as the answer is here for them. i knew the answer was out there LOL
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

• With my new welder (big blue 400)this truck talk is right on time for me.I just went to price out trucks and am kinda leaning towards a 4x4 550, but at $47,000 it is a little scary.I have a line on a 2001 f-650 single cab that has the 7.3 (I think) at around $16,000.How much more are the operating costs for a medium duty truck versus a 1ton?I guess I'm afraid of a big used truck with no warranty.

Comment

• pipe truck

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
        A true medium duty like the freightliner or kenworth T300 will be cheaper in parts and service to maintain than any of the big 3 1 ton pick-ups. Fuel will be another 10% more.

I was at the truck expo this past week, and got to see a lot of the new stuff. I was eying up a Sterling class 5/6 with air. The sales guy assures me that he can get it in a 170" wheelbase (probably the tow-truck platform), so, maybe I could rig one of these to fit on a pipeline after all. Wheel see what teh cost is with 4x4 added to the truck, I'm anticipating about $70,000, but have yet to hear back on the finalized info. If its under 70,000 CAD ($58,000USD), it might just be a wise long-term investment. We'll see. Of course, maybe he just didn't know his minimum wheelbase after all.

Iam wondering if even pipeliners will have to look a look at these bigger trucks
        later down the road cause of the dot boys and there friendly ways
        Although I could then have a big screen tv inside and still be under door weight I think I maybe on to something
        DODGE 1 TON 6.7
        PIPEPRO 304
        TO MANY TOOLS
        JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
        rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
        and easily upset
        go flames go

Comment

• Probably be a while before the northern oil patch guys step up to the bigger trucks considering the hassles with roadbans on trucks over 1 ton though. In BC anyways, Alt is probably similar.
          Cheers,
          Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Carroll View Post
            With my new welder (big blue 400)this truck talk is right on time for me.I just went to price out trucks and am kinda leaning towards a 4x4 550, but at $47,000 it is a little scary.I have a line on a 2001 f-650 single cab that has the 7.3 (I think) at around $16,000.How much more are the operating costs for a medium duty truck versus a 1ton?I guess I'm afraid of a big used truck with no warranty.
            Wow I can’t believe they’ve gone up that much ! February 2004 I ordered my 550, out the door $31,000.00 now that’s without 4x4. Eric you need to get on the web and start shopping
            Attached Files

Comment

• man i'm loving that beed dude. great art work on it. too bad its probly coverd up most of the time though.
              i got sereous truck envy now, you all have bigger ones than me.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

• I dont understand some of you guys talking about having to drive 2 hrs to a motel and paying jacked up prices, Id have me a nice little $ 5,000.00 camper to live in during the job and let another guy or 2 share expences.
                I understand getting it back to the job would be a hassle, just raise the camper with taller shackles.
                Or is their some kind of law in canada that prevents this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                  it's all about what you want on it. You can get into a F550 in the low 30 range, but if you want Lariat, extended cab, and 4x4, plus a few other goodies, you're up to the 47K mark.
                  In a work truck?

Comment

• Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                    I dont understand some of you guys talking about having to drive 2 hrs to a motel and paying jacked up prices, Id have me a nice little $ 5,000.00 camper to live in during the job and let another guy or 2 share expences.
                    I understand getting it back to the job would be a hassle, just raise the camper with taller shackles.
                    Hi Portable welder, there is no law against camping out but when it is 20 below and colder it can be a real hassle. You need to skirt your trailer or camper, water lines freeze, etc. etc. Many guys do camp out from spring until late October and a few do it all winter in campgrounds. However finding a campground that isn't full around here is impossible. Also taking a trailer or camper down some of the bush roads can take a toll on them fast. And many guys do not want the hassle of camping out after working all day, in the winter it is dark when we go to work and dark when we get home.

Pipeline Dan: I recall hearing about the native that was killed on the atv. Too bad and I imagine the poor kid was shaken up badly. I know that road has become way too busy in the past seven to eight years.
                    Remember, this is the Interweb so the above information may not be 100% correct
                    JIM REID
                    2004 Lincoln 300D Kubota
                    2001 GMC 3500 c/w deck
                    Assortment of tools that keeps growing

Comment

• 5000 trailer?

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                      I dont understand some of you guys talking about having to drive 2 hrs to a motel and paying jacked up prices, Id have me a nice little $ 5,000.00 camper to live in during the job and let another guy or 2 share expences.
                      More and more guys travel with there camper trailers cause there isn't anywhere to bunk. In the winter time Its a cold pain in the ass, just think
                      your out there all day working in sometimes -30 plus a wind which = -45
                      and then you have to go back to a trailer you have to make yourself a meal
                      clean your clothes tidy up make your lunch and hit the sack with hopes that
                      your power source doesn't give out OR you can drive back to a hotel and
                      have your clothes washed for you, have a big old prime rib steak (Alberta beef kicks ass)with
                      some Jack Daniels a nice hot bath watch a little tv and go to sleep
                      only to wake up go buy your lunch and have a XL double double from good
                      old Tim Horton's(canadian thing) and while your working have someone clean your room. A camp job, while I could be here all day talking about them.
                      I never share my room with my helper unless there's no other way to do it.
                      It's hard to say unless you've been there I **** you not. The 2 hr thing you are charging from the time you leave the hotel,and your fuel is payed for but
                      trust me its a pain in your cold ass.
                      DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                      PIPEPRO 304
                      TO MANY TOOLS
                      JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                      rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                      and easily upset
                      go flames go

Comment

• Road Bans

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                        Aren't the road bans for 10,000kg and up. That's what they are down here at least. I really hope that's the case. If not, what do all the guys with teh F450 and F550 welding rigs do?

The Road Bans are somewhat variable and can affect all vehicles, but the last ones to get banned when the roads get really sloppy are those with 1 Ton or under weight ratings (F350, 3500's, pickups etc). Everything else has to travel at off hours (like the middle of the night) when the road is more frozen up or not at all. There is some discretion on the part of whoever is monitoring the road but they can be real A-holes about it. Last spring there was a Weldor ahead of me one morning with an F350 Dually weld truck with a deck on it that got banned while I got through with my F350 Single rear wheel weld truck with a skid just because his looked too heavy, although my truck was at least 2000 lbs overweight and probably heavier than his at the time. There may have been one F450 style weld truck that I saw on a facilities job last winter. Other than that one I don't recall seeing any others. A lot of the Crew/Picker trucks are F450/550 based now but I am sure they get hassled too.

Keep in mind that F450's and up are commercially classed and the warrantys are minimal if anything other than a just a short term on powertrain only. Same thing with a F350/3500 cab and chassis and also they may balk on your warranty if you pull your box off and put a deck on.
                        Cheers,
                        Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Comment

• Trailers and camping on the job

Ditto on everything Dan said about living in a trailer in the cold. There is no way I would do it in the Winter, Spring or Fall. I stayed in mine a month this summer on a job and it was great in that I made a ton of money off the live-out allowance but you do get used to the comforts of a nice full service hotel or camp. I lived at the Marriot in Portland for a year one time and coming home to no maid was a bit of a let down
                          Cheers,
                          Chris

Comment

• I can understand the below zero thing, those are the nights you and your helper just need to spoon.
                            Just kiddin, however sharing a camper with a helper when it stays above 20 degrees at night is a good way to get the job done and do what you are suppose to do on the road, make money & save money not drink it up in the bar and loose it at over priced motels.
                            My best friends brother in law is a boiler maker, Hes a **** of a nice guy but he blows alot of money at the bars and on his motel and keeps his wife and kids living in a double wide trailer when he makes around $ 90,000.00 a year.
                            If your going to blow your money like that you might as well get a job at wall mart. at least then his wife could get a job too.

Comment

• I agree, there is a guy around here somewhere, that has a 6x10 enclosed utility trailer he has customized, sat TV, internet the whole thing. That makes sense, get a motel when you have to and bunk when you need to. I wouldnt be spending 40K on a trailer to save, but a couple grand is a different story, he has his fixxed up for heat, storage under bunk, etc, said its very comfy and no one notices it parked out of the way, easy to tow.

Comment

• Hey which dealer is that, Dams? My guy was totally adamant about not selling me a 450/550 or cab and chassis 350 even. He couldn't get me a 6spd 06 F350 so I went down the street and bought a Dodge from a much more amicable dealer. Hey I thought you were a Dodge guy - what are you doing looking at Fords! Putting F350 logos in place of the 450's is probably an easier way to fool any road ban enforcers.
                                Cheers,
                                Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X