Grinders with toolless blage change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinders with toolless blage change

looking at 2 grinders, one a 90 dollar 4.5" dewalt ( same as i have and i love it) that comes with a quick change nut. the other a big bad 12 amp milwaukee with variable speed and feedback 5" that does not have a case or quick change nut. I really want the milwaukee but the dewalt is just a better deal, it also comes with a case that is extra with the milwaukee. I'm wondering if there is any downside to the quick change setup?? does it loosen? is it too big and causes interferance? does it really work without tools?

What are your opinions?
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

I love my metabo 4 1/2 with the quick change nut

Comment

I have a couple of the Metabo grinders with the toolles change and I think it is more trouble than it is worth. I took the nut off of a couple old grinders and use them more than the toolless design. It's hard to use with gloves on which always seems to be the case when changing.

Comment

If you run angle grinders without the gaurds like I do, you don't need tools no matter the type of nut holding the disc/wheel on. Just lock the spindle lock, grab the disc and twist, done.

Ofcourse, in this day and age, I'm forced to tell you that not using a gaurd isn't safe, and should be avoided at all costs. If OSHA had their way, my wife would have to wear a helmet and mouthpiece during ***.

Comment

I have a couple of the Metabo grinders with the toolles change and I think it is more trouble than it is worth.
          EXACTLY!!!

I have four Metabo's, best small grinders I've ever owned. That said, the quick-change nut is a solution to a problem that does not exist

The tool-free guard adjustment is great, more & more brands now have that. If you want a few quick-change Metabo nuts, just send me $10 for every one you want
          Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
          HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
          Clarke Hotshot

Comment

I have 3 of the D284xx series dewalts and love them. The nut has a knurled OD and still has provisions for the spanner wrench. It's also exactly the same size as the backing plate, so I don't see it as getting in the way of anything. There's nothing fancy about the nut like with metabo's. It's just a regular nut with knurls.

For the little cutoff disks I run on one of them, the spanner wrench is still needed since the cutoff guard ($11 from dewalt) covers more of the wheel than the other style. But like Matt said, you can typically just grab the thing and unscrew it (like I do with all the flap wheels I run on another one).
            Syncrowave 250DX
            Invison 354MP
            XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
            Smith O/A rig
            And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

I have the 4.5" dewalt, 10 amp with the quick change nut. I think the quick change works well but I would have bought it anyway without it. The quick change nut did not influence me.---MMW---
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
              Syncrowave 250
              RCCS-14

Comment

now i want one, why you guys always gotta tell me about the cool new stuff thats out?? i stay home so i wont see it and feel the need, and here you are telling me any way.
                [email protected]
                you better keep OSHA away from your bed room.. ..not real shore what all is going on in there requiring a helmet and mouthpiece and i dont want to know but if i told my wife that she needed a helmet and mouthpiece she just might divorce me, and i'm too old to try to break another one in.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

the quick change was always a hassle to me with gloves on also, i use the regular nuts and never use a wrench.

marty
                  Miller Synchrowave 250
                  OTC 300DM with external wire feeder
                  Miller XLi Dale Sr., fibre metal hoods
                  Metaltek of Ky. Inc.
                  Home of the Stephensburg weld

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
                    and i dont want to know but if i told my wife that she needed a helmet and mouthpiece she just might divorce me,

You mean that you haven't tig welded up your wife a helmet with handle bars on it yet??? no mouthpiece needed LOL

Comment

Originally posted by precisionworks
                      EXACTLY!!!

If you want a few quick-change Metabo nuts, just send me $10 for every one you want

And send me $10 for every blade gaurd you want.

Comment

I've got four different brand angle grinders, and they are all "tool-less" like Matt's! Press the spindle lock, twist, done.

Hank
                        ...from the Gadget Garage
                        Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                        Handler 210 w/DP3035
                        TA185TSW
                        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

My vote is for the 4" Matabos. There's not a better 4" grinder built! IMO
                          Bulldog
                          5 Passport Pluses
                          2 MM 212's
                          MM 210
                          MM 251 MIA
                          MM 350 P w/Python
                          Syncrowave 250
                          w/ tig runner
                          Trailblazer 302
                          12RC w/meters
                          Spectrum 1000
                          Spectrum 2050
                          2 Black BWEs
                          Joker BWE
                          Star & stripe BWE Digital
                          2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
                          CUMMINS BABY

Comment

Bulldog-

Three of my Metabo's are the W7-115 (4 1/2"), the fourth is a w10-125(5" with 1/3 more power). If you like the W7, you'll love the W10
                            Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
                            HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
                            Clarke Hotshot

Comment

what is it about the metabos that everyone loves so much??

i've never used one, but they don't seem any better than a dewalt or milwaukee. I've had my dewalt for about 6 years, i've never been unhappy with it. What are you guys paying for the Matabo's??

If money weren't afactor id go for the 12 amp feedback milwaukee.
                              Dynasty 200 DX
                              Millermatic 175
                              Spectrum 375
                              All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Working...
                              X