weld a piston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weld a piston?

anyone ever done it? I'm being asked if I can. It is made from forged aluminum. 2618-t6 alloy . can't find that alloy in any books. looks like 4145 alloy works good to weld 2XXX series alloys. probably more important than filler is proper heat treatment after welding? any answers will be appreciated.

I welded one from a smowmobile once. Don't know the alloy. It had a 1/2" hole right thru the dome. I just sat it on top of a 3/4" steel bar and mig welded it up with my spoolgun. The guy said later on it worked good and was still running...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster
      I welded one from a smowmobile once. Don't know the alloy. It had a 1/2" hole right thru the dome. I just sat it on top of a 3/4" steel bar and mig welded it up with my spoolgun. The guy said later on it worked good and was still running...Bob

The hole didn't happen to be right in the smack dab middle of the piston did it? Close to perfectly round?? Kawasaki maybe?

Comment

A little lean?

When a 2-strole goes lean, it only detonates once before it makes a new exhaust port I keep a few of these around the office for customer's ammusement. They always ask, "Did that come out of my motor?"
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Billet Benny
          The hole didn't happen to be right in the smack dab middle of the piston did it? Close to perfectly round?? Kawasaki maybe?
          Yup that was the hole, i don't know about the engine brand.

While we are on snowmobiles did i tell you guys my grand dad built the first Eskimotor Brand Snowmobile at Tee Nee Trailer here in Youngstown, like this picture...Bob
          Attached Files
          Bob Wright

Comment

interesting!!

Originally posted by aametalmaster
            Yup that was the hole, i don't know about the engine brand.

While we are on snowmobiles did i tell you guys my grand dad built the first Eskimotor Brand Snowmobile at Tee Nee Trailer here in Youngstown, like this picture...Bob
            That's very interesting..how long ago was that?
            Thanks, Farris
            Gone But Never Forgotten!

Comment

1963 or 64. I was just a little brat. My dad worked there on the smowmobile line. I use to go to work with my grampa that was pretty cool...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

history

I ove to hear stories like this about family history..Do you ever start the snowmobile?
                Farris
                Gone But Never Forgotten!

Comment

I'd be mighty wary of welding pistons. 2618 is forging alloy, good strong stuff. And you're replacing it with filler metal.. and probably annealing the area immediately around it. I'd rather replace the piston, even if its more money.

Comment

Two strokes are generally save to repair the pistons in. Cleaning the carbon out is the hardest part (glass bead then bake then SS wire brush the acetone). If its a higher compression piston I would just replace it.
                    Joe
                    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by fyoung
                      I ove to hear stories like this about family history..Do you ever start the snowmobile?
                      Farris
                      The one in the pic isn't mine, i found it on the net. I saw one 25+ years back but wasn't smart enough to get a piece of history...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

I've welded multiple forged racing pistons from Richard Childress racing. Used 4043. These pistons were run in an alcohol sprint car making 1000 hp and not one hint of failure upon teardown of the engine after crank failure. This filler blended beautifully with the parent forging.
                        Miller 350P XR push/pull
                        Miller 250 DX
                        Spectrum 2050 Plasma

Comment

Kinda hard to dispute a guy that's "been there & done that!"
                          Thanks for letting us know it can be done & work well.
                          Syncrowave 180 SD
                          MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
                          1971 Roughneck 1e
                          Stars-n-Stripes BWE
                          Optrel Satellite OSE
                          ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
                          Lincoln 200SA Diesel
                          O/A Set
                          Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
                          1.5 kVA Spot Welder
                          Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
                          My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Revlimit
                            I've welded multiple forged racing pistons from Richard Childress racing. Used 4043. These pistons were run in an alcohol sprint car making 1000 hp and not one hint of failure upon teardown of the engine after crank failure. This filler blended beautifully with the parent forging.
                            The one's I've seen done haven't made it. Apparently it is possible. I apolgize for misleading information.
                            When you weld the piston do you use any followup procedures or just machine off the excess filler?
                            Joe
                            [email protected]

Comment

First, I wash the piston well of course, then dremel any areas that need to be prepped, I then wash with acetone, and secure the piston well so it won't move. Then I ground it with a spring clip attached to a jumper wire that's connected directly to the ground clamp on the machine (Synchrowave 250 DX). I then scotchbrite my 4043 and wipe with tone no matter how old or how well stored the rod is. Then patiently heat the piston with a rosebud, and it's ready to be repaired. I let the part cool completely (with no help). Then, I usually have to chuck it up in the lathe to bring it back to spec with cutters and emory cloth. Only because these are super-trick pistons did we repair them. The word was that they came from an Earnhardt motor, so they were given some extra love just in case.
                              Miller 350P XR push/pull
                              Miller 250 DX
                              Spectrum 2050 Plasma

Comment

Working...
                              X