weird question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird question

I know I know,this may be a weird question but is it possible to hook a gouger up to a mm251?Just wondering.Thanks.
    Stickwelds

millermatic 251
    thunderbolt xl
    hypertherm powermax 380
    jet bandsaw
    delta chopsaw

I wouldn't consider it feasable, but, from the actual power perspective, it would technically be possible if you could isolate the CV power source and tap off of that. Still, I wouldn't.
    hre

Comment

Possible? Yes
      Smart? No

While it is possible to hook up a carbon arc torch to this machine, I definitely don't recommend it. the hardest thing on a welding machine (any welding machine) is gouging. creating dead shorts as frequently as gouging does will greatly shorten the life span of any welding machine. the other thing to remember is that gouging takes a lot of power and I think that the power available from your machine is insufficient enough to make this adventure a lost cause.
      Having said that, If you still want to blow up your nice welding machine, let me know and I will explain what you need to do to accomplish this. just remember to take pictures of the damage for the rest of us.

Comment

Typically gougeing is done with a constant current DC unit. Constant voltage output models can also be used. It is best to have a welder that has greater than 45 OCV to light off the carbon electrode. The problem you will have with the MM251 is it has a tip saver protection circuit that will shut the output down if it see's a dead short. It will see that carbon arc electrode like a dead short. It will not work.
        Gary

Comment

Thanks guys!
          Stickwelds

millermatic 251
          thunderbolt xl
          hypertherm powermax 380
          jet bandsaw
          delta chopsaw

Comment

Working...
          X