lets see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lets see

throwing this around on the job today thought id see what the forum would have to say...WHATS MOST IMPORTANT TO A WELDER THE THEORETICAL OR PRACTICIAL APPLICIATIONS

imho, and no disrespect to anyone here, if you weld in a factory , say an auto assembly plant or such you probably aren't concerned with either application, to the hobbiest or someone who does custom work or specialty work i feel all of your work starts theoretical....as in, how, why,and what am i about to do, but ends up being practical, as in, this is the way it worked best for me.......
    also most people that come on here introduce themselves, tell us a little, what they do, where from and such.....how bout we let bygones be bygones and start over.

marty
    Miller Synchrowave 250
    OTC 300DM with external wire feeder
    Miller XLi Dale Sr., fibre metal hoods
    Metaltek of Ky. Inc.
    Home of the Stephensburg weld

Comment

Definatly practical! So many times I've heard the designer/engineer say "theoretically it will work if you build it like I've drawn it". They never want to hear or believe that just because they've drawn it on paper doesn't mean it can be built.---MMW---
      MM250
      Trailblazer 250g
      22a feeder
      Lincoln ac/dc 225
      Victor O/A
      MM200 black face
      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
      Arco roto-phase model M
      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
      Miller spectrum 875
      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
      Syncrowave 250
      RCCS-14

Comment

well said MMW.

marty
        Miller Synchrowave 250
        OTC 300DM with external wire feeder
        Miller XLi Dale Sr., fibre metal hoods
        Metaltek of Ky. Inc.
        Home of the Stephensburg weld

Comment

Originally posted by mmw
          Definatly practical! So many times I've heard the designer/engineer say "theoretically it will work if you build it like I've drawn it". They never want to hear or believe that just because they've drawn it on paper doesn't mean it can be built.---MMW---
          Good engineers don't do that... And what does this have to do with whether it is more important for WELDORS to have practical or theoretical knowledge?
          Bill
          "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

Practicial Appliciations

no one mentioned knowledge? most designer/engineer dont seem to have much of that. and most i ran into in the construction field all felt if they could draw it you must be able to build it. just have to find exotic lumber that has magical properties and you are good to go.
            practical is the only aplication werth a dam in my book, dont realy car if it should work, i want it will work. dont even mind having to make it work.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Its simple. Practical knowledge is knowledge gained from the theoretical knowledge the engineers give us which never works anyway. This is why practically everything you get from an engineer will have to be REWORKED by us(the welder). Theory is useless untill you do something practical with it. I need another Beer.

Comment

MeanDean

well put.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by weldingBuffoon
                  throwing this around on the job today thought id see what the forum would have to say...WHATS MOST IMPORTANT TO A WELDER THE THEORETICAL OR PRACTICIAL APPLICIATIONS
                  Why don't you just stop beating around the bush and ask the question you really want to ask. No, go ahead, don't be afraid, really. No one here will lambast you as I can tell you are only seeking the truth. Seek the truth and ye shall find it. Ye are on the right path and we only have to stand back and watch. God have mercy on you.
                  Dynasty 350DX
                  Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                  MM 350P
                  MM Passport Plus
                  Spectrum 375 Extreme
                  08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

To me practical means knowing how and theoretical means knowing why...

What are examples of practical and theoretical knowledge?
                    Bill
                    "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

Well, theory is great to keep the wheels turning, but practical knowledge keeps the doors open. So, without practical application, there's plenty of time for theory
                      Miller 350P XR push/pull
                      Miller 250 DX
                      Spectrum 2050 Plasma

Comment

Allright boys, once again it's my fault for getting this jackass riled up. Sorry! He started this thread, I can only assume, after I wrote this reply.

Before we go further down this path, let's clear something up, per webster's dictionary:

Theoretical: confined to theory or speculation often in contrast to practical applications : SPECULATIVE <theoretical physics>

Theory: 1 : the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another
                        2 : abstract thought : SPECULATION

So in simple terms, theory may or may not be based on reality. I think we can all agree on that.

So, weldingboy, you're assumed stance is correct; Even good welders and engineers don't really need to know theory. What they do need to know is the mechanics of the tools they use every day. Proven mechanics, not theoretical. Mechanics like arc length vs. stickout (two different things), penetration vs. fusion, wire sizes and their correct amperage range, arc force, arc blow, contaminants, fixturing, metallurgy, and on and on.

What we do every day, even the most technical task, is NOT theory guys.

And for those of you bashing engineers. For the most part I agree with you, but it's a dangerous mindset to get in. Hopefully someday you'll work with an excellent engineer that can, in fact, build everything he's drawn. And hopefully your mindset isn't strong enough to write even him off as an idiot.

Comment

Lets lynch the engineer! This is kind of a loaded question. Engineers know what they want to accomplish, but they may not know the best way to describe it visually. Engineers are also proud and hate to ask questions that they don't know the answers to for fear of ridicule. Furthermore, practicality can be influenced by many things. One example of this may be the use of one size of material over another, however if material A is unavailable a substitute will need to be found, and this may impact other design criteria.

I am an engineer, and in my experience I have had the opportunity to work with many individuals that knew their craft far better that I would ever know it. As a result I alway asked questions and took advice seriously. I also made the effort to learn as much as possible about the capabilities of equipment on hand. However, there were times when I was unable to make the design work the way they would like. Hence the world of compromises that we must live in.

My suggestion would be to look over plans with the engineer(s) and ask lots of questions. Engineers usually have a reason for doing what they do. Many times it is the result of the lack of knowledge of the trades. However, most of the engineers I know have a thirst for knowledge, and would relish the opportunity to learn something new. If the discussion with the engineer is nonadviserial they will be much more open to listening and learning. Just as the tradesmen has spent time as an apprentice the engineer has spent time gathering an education as well. We all need to embrace the opportunity to learn whenever we can, it is this willingness that lets us improve ourselves on an ongoing basis.

Now the answer to the question. Both are important. Theory allows something to be designed given a specific intent. Practicality allows it to be built.
                          SolidWorks Premium
                          SolidWorks Simulation Pro
                          MM210 w/3035
                          TA185TSW
                          DG Piranha II
                          Sharpie Deluxe
                          Stars & Stripes BWE
                          Blue Optrel Satellite

Comment

This is like asking whats more important, youre stomack or the food you put in it. With out theory there would be nothing to weld, not even welders to use. (all technology started out as theory) Without practicle aplication the welder is a useless chunc of material.
                            To all who contribute to this board.
                            My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                            Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                            Miller Syncrowave 250
                            Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar
                              This is like asking whats more important, youre stomack or the food you put in it. With out theory there would be nothing to weld, not even welders to use. (all technology started out as theory) Without practicle aplication the welder is a useless chunc of material.
                              Just to simplify the piont here, caveman theorized that he could hit a rabbit with a stick and kill it easyer than by hand, then he put it to practicle application and prooved himself right.
                              If another caveman improves the technology by useing a bigger stick, that does not mean the first guys theory was bogus.
                              To all who contribute to this board.
                              My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                              Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                              Miller Syncrowave 250
                              Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Working...
                              X