goverment sponsored racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goverment sponsored racing

i was wondering if the military pays for the army drag racing team and any other ones i think air force has a monster truck team.it kinda makes me mad if they do because its a very exspensive business to be involved in.and a few other reasons i can think of,anybody know if they are spending tax dollars to play? shoprat

If they do pay for it, it's likely done under the provision that it's for training/research/advertising. All of which should be considered valid ways to spend money. Now, whether you consider racing to be a form of the above things can be debatable.

Comment

I see both sides.

But in reality, these are funds that are allocated to the recruitment of personnel for the armed forces and sponsorship of a race team is viewed the same as buying a poster (and a place to out it) that says Be All You Can Be.

Comment

The problem with an all volunteer military, is that you have to go to great lengths to get most people to sign up. There just aren't enough youth who see serving their country as an honor anymore. Gotta some how make it appeal to their other desires.

Then again, the Navy's biggest problem is getting recruits smart enough to fill their nuclear jobs. Maybe less should be spent on defense recruitment, mandate 2 year enlistments, and spend all that "racing" money on education before they come of age.
        Syncrowave 250DX
        Invison 354MP
        XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
        Smith O/A rig
        And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

considering the target demografic, motivated young males looking for excitement and adventure, i'de say its money well spent. Besides a few million a year for a race team is chump change for the military, thats only like 2 or 3 cruise missles.
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Millermatic 175
          Spectrum 375
          All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky
            ...thats only like 2 or 3 cruise missiles.
            I can think of a few drivers that fit that category...

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishy Jim]The problem with an all volunteer military, is that you have to go to great lengths to get most people to sign up. There just aren't enough youth who see serving their country as an honor anymore

Thats For sure. My son is at Millitary camp all summer. Here in Canada with our VERY lax immigration laws there are more and more young people who care nothing of Canada as a country and even less of our military. These immigrants are most likely leaving their countries because of war. The last thing they want their kids to do is join the Canadian military. There are more immigrant flag wayvers during the world Cup than there are Canadians flying the Canadian flag on Canada day. Thats the problem with Canada. There just isnt enough Canadians here anymore.

Comment

[QUOTE=MeanDean]
                Originally posted by Fishy Jim
                The problem with an all volunteer military, is that you have to go to great lengths to get most people to sign up. There just aren't enough youth who see serving their country as an honor anymore

Thats For sure. My son is at Millitary camp all summer. Here in Canada with our VERY lax immigration laws there are more and more young people who care nothing of Canada as a country and even less of our military. These immigrants are most likely leaving their countries because of war. The last thing they want their kids to do is join the Canadian military. There are more immigrant flag wayvers during the world Cup than there are Canadians flying the Canadian flag on Canada day. Thats the problem with Canada. There just isnt enough Canadians here anymore.
                Thank you! I was beginning to think I was the only one who had such a sentiment.
                Dynasty 200DX
                Spectrum 375
                Next up: Millermatic 251

Comment

Working...
                X