dynasty 200dx broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dynasty 200dx broken?

When I start to weld anything my machine sputters like crazy, then once the arc becomes stable anything aluminum looks like Im boiling mud out of the weld puddle and will not fuse properly. Ive read all about the bad high freq boards and are wondering if this is possibly it. Also, last time I got gas they jumped filled my bottle off of every bottle in the shop, dont ask, it was saturday, noon, and everyone wanted to go home, I left there at about 8:00am with what I thought was a full bottle, turns out empty and the only way to get a full one was this. thanks for the help
    pete

I'm betting $20 on the gas.

Comment

I'll raise that bet to $30.00.

Comment

Yep. I also have a 200DX and recently purchased a brand new never used 80 CF bottle. I needed it for back up as I was supporting an entire drag racing event that weekend. Sure enough I needed the extra argon bottle. When I went to repair an aluiminum bracket I found I couldnt get the weld to clean. It was like I had no gas at all. No matter what the flow guage said I couldnt weld this bracket. Frustrated as all **** I ended up mig welding it for the guy just to get him up and running and first thing monday morning I went to the weld supply store and told them what was going on. The counter guy said when they recieve new bottles they are filled with nitrogen for testing purposes from the manufacture. They then purge the bottles and fill with the propper gas. I said ok, but why does my weld look like outhouse juice with this bottle and works great with my big shop bottle. He said most likely there was moisture in the bottle. After an fresh refill at no cost I went home and tried it and all was good. I will pretty much guarantee you have contaminated argon aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by MeanDean
          ...outhouse juice
          Thanks for the new saying.

Comment

is it conceivable that you may have bad argon and only have it cause problems with alluminum and not steel or SS??
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Millermatic 175
            Spectrum 375
            All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Is the gas valve opening?

Comment

Im hoping it is the gas to. How about upon striking an arc on all metals the machine sputters like crazy, and the machine also makes this weird buzzing noise when sitting powered on. By the way, at work all day I use 250's and dynasty 300s and love them, I know all of the characteristics of the machine to and mine is out there. Yes the gas valve is opening, just for kicks i turned the gas up to about 50cfh and no better. Also, this has been hapening on all almost all metals. Problem is most of my at home jobs are old cars(54 belair) and import tuner cars. The Belair I assumed b/c of its age the metal was junk, and most of the tuner stuff, the materials come from ebay so I assumed the same(steel and ss). Are we all still bettin on gas?

Comment

Why not take the unit to the shop and connect it to a known good bottle of gas and see? Seems like an easy way to eliminate the most likely cause of your problem. Then you'll know if you need to look further.

Comment

I've had this type of problem where it won't weld aluminum but it will weld ss & steel. It turned out to be a contaminated tungsten. Put a new one in & it worked perfect. I've also had the contaminated gas also but this affected all material being welded.---MMW---
                    MM250
                    Trailblazer 250g
                    22a feeder
                    Lincoln ac/dc 225
                    Victor O/A
                    MM200 black face
                    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                    Arco roto-phase model M
                    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                    Miller spectrum 875
                    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                    Syncrowave 250
                    RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by mmw
                      I've had this type of problem where it won't weld aluminum but it will weld ss & steel. It turned out to be a contaminated tungsten. Put a new one in & it worked perfect. I've also had the contaminated gas also but this affected all material being welded.---MMW---
                      I agree with the others in that it's probably gas, but I've had what you describe happen, too.

If you use a vitrified grinding wheel to prep your tungsten, DC weling will work perfectly, but AC welds on Alum will have black plotches all over and very poor, pitted-looking weld beads.
                      BigDTig, Dallas, Texas
                      Miller Dynasty 200DX
                      Coolmate III Cooler
                      Miller Spectrum 125C
                      Ellis 1600 Band Saw
                      Ellis 9400 Drill Press

Comment

i would try a fresh bottle of gas and a new tung. befor condemming the dyn. always start with the easy stuff and work tword the tuffys.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

Hey a Dyn200 is pretty light, I'd be carrying the biatch into the dealer, after a phone call, since they gave you a cluster bottle. I'd ask first if they have a known-good bottle in the shop, I'm sure they wouldn't mind swapping a Tung'r out for you there too.

That way if there is a problem, your arleady in the right place. Have them call miller if they have to work on it.

Comment

The suspence is killing me. please get some fresh gas and try again. I need to know whats going on. Well, that and I think i just reached member status.

Comment

Finally got to the welding shop, got new gas and Im on my way. Just curious, should I have payed for the refill after explaining myself or should I now call and ask for a refund? Ive had many problems with this place and believe Im cuttin losses and moving on.
                              Thanks for everyones help and input!
                              pete

Comment

Working...
                              X