Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laiky
    replied
    i called diamond ground yesterday for samples, nice people! I asked for 2% lanth and tri-mix.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    yep the cer.2% is really not meant for AC and can split. some have had this happen others have not but it was designed for DC only, the lanthanated is meant for both ac and dc and the 2% holds up to the heat of higher amps better than the 1.5%, and wile the 1.5% is supposed to provide a better star then the 2% i could not tell the difference in starts so i went with the 2% as it held up best to my work and looked new after i finished welding.

Leave a comment:

• Richs
    replied
    Originally posted by fun4now
    when you get the dyn. get a tryal mix from DG or Aglevtech and play a bit to see what you like. DG makes a try-mix thats suposed to be real nice too but it might be a bit high $$.
    i have found 2% lanthanated best for stel, SS, and aluminum, but thats just my liking's.
    I just might try the Try Mix! Seriously, I also presently use the Lanthanated (for my steel welding with a SW175), switching from thoriated and it was the best move I made. I'll never go back to thori. The cold and hot arc start is on the money with the Lanth. And there is a marked difference in arc control. I've concluded from what I read on these threads that either the Lanth. and Ceri. tungs are the only ones needed for both steel and aluminum welding with the D200dx, and basically any inverter. Would that be correct?

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    when you get the dyn. get a tryal mix from DG or Aglevtech and play a bit to see what you like. DG makes a try-mix thats suposed to be real nice too but it might be a bit high $$.
    i have found 2% lanthanated best for stel, SS, and aluminum, but thats just my liking's.

Leave a comment:

• Richs
    replied
    I use...

Originally posted by Laiky
    despite some peoples poor opinion of aglevtech, i got a nice assortment of collets and cups from him. Another good source is McMaster Carr. they have collets cups and gas lenses at resonable prices although they dont carry lathanated.

Question: would 1/8 tung be better for general purpose alluminum welding than 3/32 ??
    1/8" zirconiated on aluminum over 3/16" thick, otherwise 3/32" does it for me. Since I have a square wave tramsformer machine, I get best results with zirc. tungs. I run anything from a ball end to a taper with a ball end. Always a ball end though.
    In the new year coming I'm getting the D200dx so I'll be using what most guys on these boards recommend for the inverter, and there's a lot of info here.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    drewworm

DG is purity reasonable on $$$ i got a set of 25 7"pre-ground 1.5% lanthanated for like $50 not shore exactly but it was in the 50's shipped. i never got to use them though as i got them when i was about to get the Dyn and it never happened so i sold off the kit i put together and sent the tung. with it.
    they normally do sets of 50 but are willing to work with you, i don't know the $$ of un-ground i never asked.might be they only sell the pre-ground in large #'s and the non ground in sets of 10 you would have to ask them. its Worth a call they are really nice people to deal with.

Leave a comment:

• Laiky
    replied
    despite some peoples poor opinion of aglevtech, i got a nice assortment of collets and cups from him. Another good source is McMaster Carr. they have collets cups and gas lenses at resonable prices although they dont carry lathanated.

Question: would 1/8 tung be better for general purpose alluminum welding than 3/32 ??

Leave a comment:

• drewworm
    replied
    My local guy is a miller dealer and everything is pretty pricey. The collets he sells are Miller and the price is outrageous. The other thing he does is (maybe this is everywhere) only sell a bag of 5 pieces which makes the price seem even higher. I just need one collet for 1/8, one for 3/32, etc. (I think, I haven't burned a collet yet...do they wear out or get ruined?)

Leave a comment:

• drewworm
    replied
    You nailed the 120ish. I'm working with a 250 syncro. I actually set amps at 130 based on the calculator I have and then varied the temp with the pedal. Like I said, all I have is 1/8, but I do agree with you that (or the others that I've read) where 3/32 would be a good size. Since I last posted, I looked at Arc Zone and Diamond Ground to see what they have price wise. Arc-Zone seemed well priced, but DG didn't have any prices posted (call for price).

While we're at it with regard to buying stuff... where is a good place for filler metal? And torch parts? (I only have the collets and cups for 1/8).

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    what welder and settings are you using? 1/8 seems a bit over kill for 120 ish amps, witch is wher i would think you are as for amps, the 3/32 would be a good fit though.

Leave a comment:

• drewworm
    replied
    That's all very helpful info guys. I appreciate the help. I've been using 1/8 "Orange" band (ceriated?) since that's what I got with the machine.
    The calculator I use recommended 1/16 for the project I recently practiced on, but I was wondering if the 1/8 tungsten was hindering good performance. I don't think the weld looked too bad. I don't have a photo but I would describe it as a nice bead that seemed more to be laying ON the work than part of the work. Maybe I'm lacking the "wetting" I hear people talking about. If it means anything, the appearance of the weld was "dull" or "flat" not shiny. This is on .120 wall steel tubing.
    I guess with some practice and more sizes of Tung I'll get it worked out.
    Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• Fishy Jim
    replied
    Aglevtech buys from Diamond Ground. Go to the source and buy from Diamond Ground - cut out the middle man (that's all that guy is too!).

Diamond Ground will GIVE you free samples of their tungstens to try out. Postage paid to your door for the asking. That's who you should be linking, not the little crook aglevtech.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    Richs

Another option is Aglevtech on ebay. He sells an assortment pack of different sizes and types. Which is perfect to see what the differences are and then you can choose as to which tungsten works best for you.
    thats a really good idea, i thought about getting several sets and putting some thing like that together for just that reason. when ever any one asks what works best with the _____ welder its always the same answer, lanth,cerated, thor., it really comes down to personal preference. problem is how do you try them all without spending a big chunk of $$$ on several types. i even asked a few sellers if they have some thing like a trial mixed set and no one did.
    can you get us a link to him??? I'll keep it and pop it out when the subject comes up again. it will really help a lot of people out.

FWIW; i try-ed lanth.1.5% & 2%, and created 2%, i really prefer the lanthanated 2%. lots others agree and lots also think cerated is the way to go, trial is really the only way to decide. the 3/32" is really the work horse of sizes as it will do most stuff and works well from 10-200 Amps well with just a grind adjustment to accommodate the amps you want.

Leave a comment:

• Richs
    replied
    Originally posted by drewworm
    The only tungsten I have is what came with my used machine. Here is the question I have about tungsten: Is there a difference in the QUALITY of the tungsten?
    I'm under the impression it's all obtained from outside the US. Is this correct?
    I don't want to go "el cheapo" and have my welds suffer, but I don't want to buy Miller at top dollar thinking I'm getting an american product if it's the same as import.
    By al means, substitute any american company you like for my use of Miller in this question. I'm just curious if anyone knows if there is "good" and "bad" tungsten?
    P.S I'm still learning TIG, and not anxious to fry up, or grind down $100 worth of tung, but if better stuff makes better welds, thats helpful to know.
    I use Sylvania brand mostly and do use others too. I don't see any difference. Some have the diameter ground and some are ground and polished. Some are inexpensive, some are higher up in cost. Where you will see a difference is in the type ie. thoriated, ceriated, lanthanated, etc... 3/32" diameter is a good size for beginners.
    A pack of 10 pieces of 3/32" name brand tungsten isn't too expensive and might be the way to start out.
    Another option is Aglevtech on ebay. He sells an assortment pack of different sizes and types. Which is perfect to see what the differences are and then you can choose as to which tungsten works best for you. Check him out. I've purchased from him before and had no problems and the quality is good.
    Then later when you are a more confident weldor you can go for the name brands if you wish. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    yes there are better grades of tung. as with anything its all about quality control. oxides and particle sizes to be specific.
    i don't have an extra $100 to waist on name brand stuff aether, thats why i asked to find this supplier in e-bay. same stuff just not getting the fancy extras that come from ordering it strait threw sue at diamond ground. and the prices at the local weld shop when i asked they only had heliarc name brand stuff and it was $79 for a box of 10
    drewworm if i got any more penetration i would have melted threw. if you look at the pic of the back you can see i was right at the edge of burn threw.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X