Bend test with backing plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bend test with backing plate

When coupons are cut out for a bend test and it has a backing plate, is the backing plate ground off, or left on? The specific test is a 3/8" V-Groove 3G with 1/4" backing plate.
    I am very curious how the backing plate bends with (or not with) the coupon. Does anyone have any pictures of backing plate coupons that have been bent that they could share?
    Thanks,

Hi Walker
    Yes the backing strip is ground off in order to fit it into the bend machine.
    The inspector should tell you the procedure befroe you stsrt to weld.
    Usually you extend the backing plate past the end of the weld the lenghth past is your preferance. you would use this extention to strike the arc and get the puddle moving before you get into the coupon.
    There are 2 tests for this procedure
    1 is up hand and
    2 is over head.
    I have always taken this test with 5/32 7018 LOHI wire. But it is up to the inspector if you can go with a different dia. on the root or 1st pass.
    Then the take coupons form the plates and put them in the bender.
    good luck.
    Terence

Comment

they or you have to grind the backing off......some will let you use about any size 7018.....last test i took, about 6 or 7 months ago was at our locay vo-tech school, instructor was great, knew every answer to every question i had, generally a great guy.

marty
      Miller Synchrowave 250
      OTC 300DM with external wire feeder
      Miller XLi Dale Sr., fibre metal hoods
      Metaltek of Ky. Inc.
      Home of the Stephensburg weld

Comment

I think you'll find the backing plates need to be either gouged or washed off with an o/a outfit, then cleaned up with a grinder. The test is as much to check your prep as it is to check welding skills.. A scarfed up coupon can blow your test.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSparks
          I think you'll find the backing plates need to be either gouged or washed off with an o/a outfit, then cleaned up with a grinder. The test is as much to check your prep as it is to check welding skills.. A scarfed up coupon can blow your test.
          I agree. In the real world application, can you imagine how long it would take to grind off a 1/4" by 2"wide backing strip. You'de be at it all day.
          hre

Comment

In NY. on the structural steel test NYC.
            we have to use 5/32 lo-hi only.
            It does not take to long to gring the backing strip off. if you get an 7" ginder it take not ime at all, When I ran some jobs for the power authority the welding inspector who was great if you knew hao to weld. Said the only weldors he has problems with are guys who cant weld.
            I am being sued for discrimination right now because the welding inspector failed somebody simply on a visual inspection, and let me tell you the guy could not weld and i gave him 3 chances ontop of a days practice.

Thats my story and im sticking to it.
            Terence

Comment

Make sure you counter sue him for wasting your time.
              Syncrowave 250DX
              Invison 354MP
              XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
              Smith O/A rig
              And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Working...
              X