Finally, Pics of my latest project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, Pics of my latest project

Well, I've been working on this in all my spare time since November. I go to Chico State in CA, and somehow talked my Sculpure teacher into letting my use this as my semester project. It has taken way more time than I expected. I keep saying it's almost done, but then I am completely wrong.

The way it started: I bought a buggy about two years ago. It had plenty of problems, but I thought it was fine. I changed out the coil-overs in the rear for real shocks, and found out why the previous owner had coil-overs: the torsion bars were almost completely without spring. I tried to reset them, the driverside was easy, but the passenger side was NOT coming out. I even welded a chain onto it and yanked on it with my other car, and NOTHING. Somebody decided to torch notch the long style torsions to make room for 33" tires. All it did was take out the spring.

I needed a new rear half of a VW pan. When taking apart the buggy, I realized that the person who put it together did a shotty job, and then I thought, "I know somebody who welds and could put together a chassis, ME." So I decided to build one from scratch. Besides, I need a project to learn to TIG.

Everything (except for the bellypan and the joint between clamp holding on the front tubes to the chassis) was TIG welded. Next time, I will MIG it. Wonderful way to learn to TIG weld though.
    Attached Files
    -SPiNNeR-

Hobart 135
    Oxy-Acet w/ Victor torch
    Dynasty 200 DX

Here's some more Pics.
    Attached Files
    -SPiNNeR-

Hobart 135
    Oxy-Acet w/ Victor torch
    Dynasty 200 DX

Comment

I think your prof needs some props for letting you do it.

Not too many artsy types recognize industrial "art." Machines are artwork more often than we acknowledge them for being such.

Your rebuild of that machine certainly qualifies! That thing looks wicked. You should be proud.
      Syncrowave 250DX
      Invison 354MP
      XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
      Smith O/A rig
      And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

sweet job, and way cool of your professor to let it in as art.
        I'll bet your TIG skills have improved greatly with this project.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

Working...
        X