Welding Galvanized Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Galvanized Steel

I am trying to save a 160 mile round trip to the steel yard. I need (4) 6.0" pieces of 3.0" x 3.0" x .375 angle to be MIG welded into my project. All I have is the proper size but its Galvanized. Any problems if I grind the galvanized off, to bright shiney steel and them MIG her ? Or does the Galvanized penetrate deep into the steel.

Thanks
    KS2K

Grind it off, but wear some kind of protection for the nose and lungs. A good 3M half mask respirator works well...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

and drink a big glass of milk after you finesh. .Just to be safe
      Milk helps neutralize some of the poisons from the Galvanize

Comment

Yep, it's just on the surface. Grind it off without breathing it and save some cash!

Comment

From MSHA:

http://www.msha.gov/illness_preventi...cs/HHICM10.HTM

"When personal respiratory protection is required, this may be provided by a supplied-air welding hood or when the components and concentration of the fume are known, by a filter-type respirator with filter for protection against fumes. It is preferable, of course, that adequate ventilation be provided so as to make the use of respirators unnecessary."
          Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
          HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
          Clarke Hotshot

Comment

Thanks Guys;
            I'll grind the galvanize off. I am well aware of the dangers of galvanive. In my past life before retirement, one of my jobs was certified OSHA Respirator Instructor. I will be safe, but thanks for shareing the dangers.

KS2K

Comment

with the correct espiration, you dont even have to grind it off, with stick or mig at least. Dont try tig or you will goober the crap outa your tungsten.
              Trailblazer 302g
              coolmate4
              hf-251d-1
              super s-32p
              you can never know enough

Comment

Working...
              X