Rollcage for compact car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rollcage for compact car?

I want to build a roll cage for my Geo Metro, i swerved to miss a skunk and kissed 2 ditches in the mean time. Now i want to beef up my cockpit. I can make the dies but i don't know a good size small tube and die radius. I am thinking 1 5/8 tube and like a 4" centerline radius for the dies. Thanks...Bob
    Bob Wright

when I was in high school we fitted a 84 chevette with a cage and a V8. We used 1.5 tube. Not sure the radius of the bends or any of the tech details but it did save my life on it's maiden drive.
    Joe
    [email protected]

Comment

for maximum strength 3.5 times the diameter of tube I mainly use 7" rad.
      Miller aerowave full feature
      Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
      dynasty 200 dx
      lincoln sp 135 plus
      302 trailblazer
      s22p12
      powcon starcut
      cp 400 metal spray

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster
        I want to build a roll cage for my Geo Metro, i swerved to miss a skunk and kissed 2 ditches in the mean time. Now i want to beef up my cockpit. I can make the dies but i don't know a good size small tube and die radius. I am thinking 1 5/8 tube and like a 4" centerline radius for the dies. Thanks...Bob
        1.5"x.120" wall should do the job. Is the Metro 2000lbs? If so, .095 wall should be sufficient. 5"-6" bend radius is the general size for 1.5" tubing.

Are you building a full cage or just the rear section? Driving around on the street with a full cage and no helmet is asking for trouble.

Comment

Not sure if you are familiar with SCCA its a racing organization. If your going to build a cage I would build it to their specifications, even if you arent entering their races, because if they say those specifications are good enough for racing then it will be safe enough to drive on the streets(although sometimes I thinks the streets are more dangerous with some of these drivers)

Here is a link to their rules just click on the "Roll Cage" tab, the tube size is based on the weight of your vehicle. I think you will probably need 1.5 X .095, same as what Im using for my cage.

http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/GCR2006.pdf

Just an FYI but if you are daily driving this car and dont have atleast a 4 point harness the cage could be more dangerous in an accident, especially a non major accident, than not having it because you risk the chance of banging your head on the cage. Ideally a helmet would be best to but that might just be weird driving to the grocery store with a helmet on

Comment

haha posted at the same time and almost said the same things woops

Comment

Thanks guys for the info and links. I am going to upgrade to a harness, i figure i am in this thing 2 hours or more a day and thats just going to/from work...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
              X