Learning to TIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to TIG

I have been learning to use my TA185 for the past few weeks and have a few questions. I started by running stringer beads without filler on 12 ga steel. I have read in another thread that some folks use some movement of the torch (a text I have shows a small circular pattern). Should I be using such a torch movement or just a straight line motion with the torch? Is there an order to which I should attempt different joints (I was planning on using the order that was used in my mig class; fillet, butt, lap)? Also, Are there any joint styles that I can learn without using filler metal? This would be helpfull for understanding how manipulating the torch effects the weld.

Thanks in advanve for all the help.
    SolidWorks Premium
    SolidWorks Simulation Pro
    MM210 w/3035
    TA185TSW
    DG Piranha II
    Sharpie Deluxe
    Stars & Stripes BWE
    Blue Optrel Satellite

Originally posted by katiebo
    I have been learning to use my TA185 for the past few weeks and have a few questions. I started by running stringer beads without filler on 12 ga steel. I have read in another thread that some folks use some movement of the torch (a text I have shows a small circular pattern). Should I be using such a torch movement or just a straight line motion with the torch? Is there an order to which I should attempt different joints (I was planning on using the order that was used in my mig class; fillet, butt, lap)? Also, Are there any joint styles that I can learn without using filler metal? This would be helpfull for understanding how manipulating the torch effects the weld.

Thanks in advanve for all the help.
    i push the torch straight and steady no movement for all processes and positions......unless the fitup is poor then you have to weave a bit to bridge the gap. i find that any movement has to be perfect for the bead to look perfect and the less movement the less you have to worry about to get right. you can practice all joints it surely won't hurt you any! if you are going to weld without filler i would suggest an outside corner it's the easiest to see what you are doing but fit up is critical if you are doing it without filler. i noticed you are practicing on 12 ga, i assume it's hot roll? if so grind the scale off of it before welding you will get much better results.

have fun!
    The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Thanks for the reply tigman. Yes the material is hot rolled. I tried laying the wire down and used the straight and steady torch movement with some success (making stringer beads). Now it is practice, practice, practice. Thanks again for the help.
      SolidWorks Premium
      SolidWorks Simulation Pro
      MM210 w/3035
      TA185TSW
      DG Piranha II
      Sharpie Deluxe
      Stars & Stripes BWE
      Blue Optrel Satellite

Comment

clean and shiny is your best frend, so clean, clean, clean, then hit it with acitone. a quick clean of the filler wont hurt eather. after that its all just practice, practice, practice.
        good luck.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

Working...
        X