Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glockdoc
    replied
    looks like it might be a moot point today the wants to keep it so she doesn't have to change her e-mails
    Its sad that sticking with a worthless service is because of the email address but a lot of people do it including myself. As mentioned before, just go with a yahoo, google or hotmail address and you can change isp every day and nobody will ever know. Also, you can easily access email anywhere in the world and state-of-the-art virus protection as well as decent spam protection. And it free.

The domain thing is kinda neat but it helps if you have something to advertise whether its family photos or selling something. It costs a few dollars per year to own the domain name and then a monthly fee for someone to host it for you. Building a webpage is not rocket science, just a learning curve.

I am also looking at peoplepc because they are nationwide but haven't done it yet.

Leave a comment:

• Rvannatta
    replied
    Originally posted by HAWK
    There are email services available that offer numerous email addresses, alias addresses (deletable at anytime), POP3, IMAP, EXCHANGE and other options as well. A good example is www.usa.net They are not an ISP only an email host. I have used them for many years regardless of ISP. Some years ago there services were free, but like everything else good service costs.
    Both Google and Yahoo offer similar services as does I believe MSN.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    another option for persistent email address

There are email services available that offer numerous email addresses, alias addresses (deletable at anytime), POP3, IMAP, EXCHANGE and other options as well. A good example is www.usa.net They are not an ISP only an email host. I have used them for many years regardless of ISP. Some years ago there services were free, but like everything else good service costs.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    thanks guys
    Rvannatta
    i kinda like the ideal of a domain, i think i'll start there.
    being in the sticks has its +'s and -'s but can = a nice option for some.
    shore would be nice to have watter though.oh well some day i guess, but that will just raise the tax's and at the rate our town is spending we will end up being the highest on the U.S. in no time. maybe i should look into politics first.

Leave a comment:

• Rvannatta
    replied
    Originally posted by Glenn B
    I used net zero/ juno for years and had really good luck with it. Then I bought a new laptop with wireless built in . we upgraded to DSL its only 14.50 a month here. I was paying 9.95 mo for pokey dialup. Hopefully soon they will get dsl out in the sticks for ya.
    Well the digital divide issue has been a big issue for rural leaders. It is getting so you can barely do business without a decent broadband connection, yet vast rural areas are not served.

I just got lucky and happen to be on the served side by a nose.

but speaking of laptops. --- If you happen to be be in an area where cell phones work.---I'm not---I have to drive to town to use a cell phone, the cell phone companies, particularly Cingular, are adding high speed data communincations equipment to the cell phone service. Beginning with the 100 largest urban areas and working down to whereever there is cell phone service we are on the verge of seeing a faster than dial up connection available by simply adding a card to your laptop (and paying verizon or Cingular $60 bucks a month.

this will be of great benefit to guys whose pickup is also their office.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn B
    replied
    isp

I used net zero/ juno for years and had really good luck with it. Then I bought a new laptop with wireless built in . we upgraded to DSL its only 14.50 a month here. I was paying 9.95 mo for pokey dialup. Hopefully soon they will get dsl out in the sticks for ya.

Leave a comment:

• Rvannatta
    replied
    Originally posted by fun4now
    at some point it would be nice to get a domain and web site, but i think i better read up on how to make it myself or i'll end up spending a bunch of $$$ i just don't have. can you get a domain without a web page??? and how do you go about doing it??
    also isn't a satellite connection receive only???

BTW, writing a web site is not rocket science now. If you can type in a word processor such as Microsoft Word or Wordperfect, both I believe offer a "SAVE AS" option to save the file in the "HTML" format. While there are more jazzy ways to make web pages that works. --- then the more complex for a newbie is simply copying the file from your hard drive on to your domain server. this is more compliated that it seems, but once you figure it out,---not a big deal

Leave a comment:

• Rvannatta
    replied
    at some point it would be nice to get a domain and web site, but i think i better read up on how to make it myself or i'll end up spending a bunch of $$$ i just don't have. can you get a domain without a web page??? and how do you go about doing it??
    The satellites now both Hughes.net and www.wildblue.com are two way, as was Starband. The are slower on the up than the down, (like DSL) but that isn't too bad as we send little and receive a lot.

I didn't even have 'fast' dialup when I first got the dish. --- dial up where I live never has/would work faster than about 12k.--- because of the distance. I never expected in my lifetime to see DSL, but QWEST --- our local baby bell carrier -- has adopted a policy of extending DSL lines to the hinterlands by installing roadside virtual telephone exchanges. These 'remote DSLMS" as they are called restart the 17,000 foot distance limitation that you hear of regarding how close to the telephone exchange you have to be.

As it turns out the remote DSLM that benefited me was more like 4.5 miles
    from my home, (my driveway is 2.6 miles long). By engineering specs
    advertized it should not have worked, but it turns out that because our driveway was so long, when that copper cable was installed it was oversized and it further turns out the distance limitation is all about voltage drop.
    I also benefited because I am so far out in the bush---there are very few splice joints in the cable---with each split being an excuse for more voltage drop. Anyhow I have DSL working at about 1200k down and 486k up which isn't too shabby. You can see the dish speeds and probably half that,
    and while that doesn't set the world on fire, it is still 10 times faster than
    dial up.

But this dish service is really genuinely 2 way. --- after Katrina, the wildblue people took a bunch of dishes and generators to New Orleans and set them up as emergency communnications sites.

Although Wild Blue doesn't presently work in alaska because the geostationary satellite is too far east to 'see' alaska, there are a lot of Starband subscribers out in the Alaska Bush who live with generators and
    the starband dish is their only communications with the outside world.

as for the domain, you don't need a website to have a domain.
    You have to get the domain first in any event. The $9.96 per month solution
    is "www.networksolutions.com" For the $9.96 you get 50 email addresses, a domain, and a 'place' to store a website-- actually what you get is some hard drive space on their server.

You can grab your credit card and go to their website and have a domain along with 7 gigs of disk space on which to store a web site in about 30 minutes.

having email addresses, or web space or a domain is not to be confused with
    an ISP account. --- You have to be able to get to the internet to get to your email accounts, or your website if you choose to write one.

You do have to choose a domain name that no one else has already chosen.

I actually own 2 domains. --- I have one hosted by Yahoo which is my "www.vannattabros.com" account with which you are familar, and where I have my website which I have had for nearly 10 years now, (I started it when I had dialup), which is why the older parts of it have really small pictures).

This last winter however, I got a chance to snag a domain in my own name
    so I registered it also. --- so if you try "www.vannatta.com" you will find that that gets me as well. I haven't gotten around to fully implement it yet,
    but the email is working and I can receive email for example in my own full name: "[email protected]" will get to me.

Leave a comment:

• katiebo
    replied
    Fun, If you have MSWord you may have a template for a web page. Also, consider buying a book of taking a class. Website creation is the sort of thing that can easily be done from home. I know that it is not the easiest thing in the world but if you got good at it it would be a great little business for you.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    Rvannatta

Leave a comment:

• Rvannatta
    replied
    no cable or dsl available here dial up is my only option.
    looks like it might be a moot point today the wants to keep it so she doesn't have to change her e-mails tomorrow you know how they can be, thanks for the info I'll keep it till she gets ticked again.
    There is muchh to be said for getting your own domain---then as the ISP's come and go it makes no difference . costs 10-15 a month but a number of hosting companies are available. Then you can change ISP's at will
    and have no problems. I think I am on my 3rd ISP since i got my own domain.

Or was I used to when on dial up--- keep a couple different dial up accounts hoping that one of them would be working.

by the way there are highspeed options. --- for $50 to $80 bucks a month you can get a satellite dish, via www.wildblue.com which isn't the best thing since sliced bread but if you are in dial up prison it's a way out.
    Not as nice as DSL or cable, and a little more spendy.

I spent several years on the Starband dish before DSL showed up at my pad.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    no cable or dsl available here dial up is my only option.
    looks like it might be a moot point today the wants to keep it so she doesn't have to change her e-mails tomorrow you know how they can be, thanks for the info I'll keep it till she gets ticked again.

Leave a comment:

• frank865
    replied
    i'm feed up with loosing 2-5 days a month, and getting supper slow conections the other 1/2 of the time. any idea's welcome.
    thanks
    James
    I've been with this one for 4 or 5 years now...http://surfbest.net.1dial.com/
    NO problems, & about 12.50 per month. I'll stay with them until DSL becomes available here.
    You could also check here...http://www.choosinganisp.com/

Leave a comment:

• katiebo
    replied
    Is cable available where your at? If it is, and you can afford it, it is probably the best thing available. However, I know that cost can be a huge issue.

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    i'm feed up with loosing 2-5 days a month, and getting supper slow conections the other 1/2 of the time. any idea's welcome.
    thanks
    James
    If you want dial-up try www.mfire.com, I had them for over a year, the price was right, I think $9.95 per month and it was never down during the time I had it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X