Spectrum 375 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectrum 375 problem

I'm having a problem with my Spectrum 375 plasma cutter. When I pull the trigger it will operate for 5 seconds then quit. I let up on the trigger then apply pressure and it will operate for 5 seconds then quit again. It keeps doing this over again. does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Buzz
    m

Is your work clamp secure with a good electrical connection?

Comment

Yes I have a good ground, it does this regardless whether I am cutting or just holding it in free space.
      m

Comment

Check your air pressure. You have to set it while purging (dial all the way to the left). I found my Hypertherm did the same thing when pressure was too low.

Comment

it really sounds like a no ground problem, if every thing is tight and you have a good clean spot to connect to maybe open the box and see if its loose inside?? mine only dose that when i forget the ground/ work clamp or i don't clean off a spot to get good contact.all you are getting is the pre-arc start not the arc.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

Sure sounds like a ground problem, check the chinzy ground wire (can't really call it a cable) for any possible internal breaks and pull the cover and check the connection inside. Otherwise call the Miller tech's.
            Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
            Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
            Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
            Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Change your consumables. Including your start cartridge.
              Just to eliminate them. I use a scotchbrite pad on my start
              cartridge when it acts up. It does not do what your does, but
              it's worth a shot.

Sundown,
              I bet if you checked the price per foot of the
              ground wire, you would not call it chinzy.
              That is if it's like the smaller Thermals.

Comment

You guys were right I checked the (so called Ground cable) and it was broken. So I theorized that if the machine does not detect a ground or work it will stop the plasma in 5 seconds to avoid burning up the consumables.

Thanks Guys
                m

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V
                  Sundown,
                  I bet if you checked the price per foot of the
                  ground wire, you would not call it chinzy.
                  That is if it's like the smaller Thermals.
                  Ok, we can agree to call it "expensive chinzy", as the price of copper has driven up all wire. I just bought 36' of 6ga stranded for the boat the other day and it was $.79 a ft, I paid $.71 due to a military discount from Lowes, marine grade from Cabelas would have cost $1.00 per ft and the shipping to get it here as it is not available here locally.
                  Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                  Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                  Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                  Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

I was under the impression that this wasn't plain old copper wire, but something a little more exotic allowing it to be a light guage.

I wanted to replace mine when I first got it because it has a mind of its own and I thought I could just replace with some nice heavy 12ga. but I read somewhere that the wire was special in some way. Don't remember the details.

Comment

that 5 sec. is the arc start it allows you to cut expanded metal without having to start and stop. kinda like the HF in the dyn its just to help the start.and yes it will eat up your consumables.
                      glad you fond the problem quick so now you can get back to playing.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

Working...
                      X