Dialarc Front Panel Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialarc Front Panel Help

I recently purchased a Miller Dialarc HF P (serial# HH091858) from a seller on Ebay. Considering the price was only $235 and included a TIG torch and foot pedal, add to that it was only 60 miles away - I could not resist. The front panel is in "rough" shape and is mostly unreadable, but if it works I think I did OK. However, until I am sure what the controls "control" I am a bit leery on powering it up. It is readable, but not at a glance, you have to really "look".

I am attaching a couple of pics to give you guys an idea of how bad the front panel is.

From what I have been able to find out it was made in 1977, it's a 250A machine, the HF stands for "high frequency", and the "P" stands for "power corrected" - but not much else.

My question is does anyone have a front panel for a dead machine that they would be willing to part with? Or at least could send me a picture of theirs so that I can redraw the lettering?

I checked with the local Airgas dealer and he said he could get a front panel for a 77 HF (no P) (part # 039-194) for $105. Considering what I paid for the machine, it seems a bit steep but I am considering it.

Any help and/or opinions would be appreciated.
    Dave
    Attached Files

You can go to the Miller website & download the owners manual for this machine.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o315c_mil.pdf
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
    1971 Roughneck 1e
    Stars-n-Stripes BWE
    Optrel Satellite OSE
    ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
    Lincoln 200SA Diesel
    O/A Set
    Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
    1.5 kVA Spot Welder
    Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
    My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but I already got a copy of the owners manual. It was not much help. (no decent pictures)

Comment

I have a Dialarc but the front panel on mine looks like a newer version than yours.
        Millermatic 251, Miller DialarcHF 250 AC/DC Tig/Stick
        Miller Cutmate 375, Victor O/A rig
        Optrel Satelite Hood
        B2 Beverly Shear
        Metabo 7" grinder

Comment

I have one of these but mine looks like it is a newer version.

Really the manual the Frank posted says about everything there is to know about the machine.

The high frequency switch isn't labeled but all you need to do is hook up the torch and flip the switches and you can figure that out very easily.

You cuold always just use a label maker to print out some labels for the front panel.
          Optrel Satelite Hood
          B2 Beverly Shear
          Metabo 7" grinder

Comment

As I said, the manual is not much help. It reminds me of some of the chinese manuals I have seen. (lots of talk, not many pictures)
            Page 16 has a brief description of what the controls do (with a picture), but not what the settings actually are.

With any luck someone out there has a panel I could buy or will snap a picture of it for me.

The 2 attached pics are what the manual shows and the clearest picture I was able to find on the net. If it was just a bit clearer (higher resolution), I could read it and at least use a sharpie to redraw the important stuff on mine.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP
              As I said, the manual is not much help. It reminds me of some of the chinese manuals I have seen. (lots of talk, not many pictures)
              Page 16 has a brief description of what the controls do (with a picture), but not what the settings actually are.

With any luck someone out there has a panel I could buy or will snap a picture of it for me.

The 2 attached pics are what the manual shows and the clearest picture I was able to find on the net. If it was just a bit clearer (higher resolution), I could read it and at least use a sharpie to redraw the important stuff on mine.
              I don't see your problem??? The picture from the manual seems to show what you need?
              If you can't tell what everything is & does from the manual picture & directions, sell it & buy something else, with a shiny new panel like you want!
              Syncrowave 180 SD
              1971 Roughneck 1e
              Stars-n-Stripes BWE
              Optrel Satellite OSE
              ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
              Lincoln 200SA Diesel
              O/A Set
              1.5 kVA Spot Welder

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
              My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

the picture in the manual is for a different vintage machine. The switches are in different locations. Be patient, someone out there has one of those, and will posta pic for you.
                Trailblazer 302g
                coolmate4
                hf-251d-1
                super s-32p
                you can never know enough

Comment

Originally posted by frank865
                  I don't see your problem??? The picture from the manual seems to show what you need?
                  If you can't tell what everything is & does from the manual picture & directions, sell it & buy something else, with a shiny new panel like you want!
                  Figuring out how to operate the controls was never the problem. I am just looking for a clear picture of the front panel, one where the text is readable. It does not get any simpler than that.
                  And no, I don't need a shiny new panel. If it was that simple I would have already bought one from Miller.
                  I am probably just being cheap, true, but if someone has a picture I would appreciate it.
                  Dave

Comment

Pretty basic stuff really,
                    left side lever is heat control
                    left side switch is amperage remote local, breaker is for control bridge protection,

right lever is for reverse and straight polarities with the center for AC,
                    right side switch lower is for contactor control (remote/local)
                    right upper switch is hf (continous/off/ start)

Doesn't take alot to lablel these.....

Comment

You can Order an new panel from Miller.

Regards
                      "Equipment Should Never be an Excuse for Poor Performance. If You are Going to be a Professional, You Get the Correct Equipment, then the Only Excuse is Your Ability to Perform." ™

Comment

ok cruizer what are the directions and options of the switches lever? exc left side lever botom position 5-50 amps middle position 50- 200 amps etc. This guy is asking for specifics, am I the only one who understands this. Joseph you are master of the obvious arent you!! He already stated he could get a panel but it was cost prohibitive. The poor guy is asking for help on a board that used to be mature and "helpful" if you want to keep bashing the guy, I hope you guys are proud of where you have taken this board. Why should he purchase a new panel when I am sure some one here has the same machine and a digi camera. I thought this board was here to be a source of answers for hobbiests and pros alike. Please shut up if you dont have possitive input. Lets not forget who is to cheap to buy a new foot pedal , you can get a foot pedal from miller you know JOSEPH. or who neede a seriel code number on a snap on mig weder CRUIZER. We all ask specific questions from time to time and dont like being belittled by the answers we get.
                        Trailblazer 302g
                        coolmate4
                        hf-251d-1
                        super s-32p
                        you can never know enough

Comment

It says the ranges in the manual under "section 2 introduction" fairly obviously. You need to read the manual and not only look for pictures. If you want to find out wheather the up position is the lower end or the higher end try using the machine. I have never seen anyone that was more interested in restoring a welder rather than using it.
                          Optrel Satelite Hood
                          B2 Beverly Shear
                          Metabo 7" grinder

Comment

couldn't agree more dyn88. another thing that should be concidered is mabey some of the people on this board don't know alot about welding in general and they come here to get answers......not sarcasm. Dave seems to be a hobyist looking to get his feet wet so to speak and mabey dosen't have (or dosen't want to) plunk down 4-6K for a Tig machine.

my father has a Dialarc but it's not the HF version, if you think it would help you out Dave i could try to rember to snap a pic of it the next time i go over there. for what it's worth Dave i have tried to use the old welders and they really aren't worth sinking a bunch of money into. i fixed up an old 330 A-BP and after a few hundred dollars in parts and a couple of afternoons spent on a custom paint job it repayed me by starting on fire the next time i used it. i will say it was the nicest looking piece on the pile when i hauled it to the scrap yard! if it works, great but i wouldn't spend alot on getting it into running condition if it dosen't.

good luck, and let me know if you want thoes pics.
                            The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Originally posted by dyn88
                              ok cruizer what are the directions and options of the switches lever? exc left side lever botom position 5-50 amps middle position 50- 200 amps etc. This guy is asking for specifics, am I the only one who understands this. Joseph you are master of the obvious arent you!! He already stated he could get a panel but it was cost prohibitive. The poor guy is asking for help on a board that used to be mature and "helpful" if you want to keep bashing the guy, I hope you guys are proud of where you have taken this board. Why should he purchase a new panel when I am sure some one here has the same machine and a digi camera. I thought this board was here to be a source of answers for hobbiests and pros alike. Please shut up if you dont have possitive input. Lets not forget who is to cheap to buy a new foot pedal , you can get a foot pedal from miller you know JOSEPH. or who neede a seriel code number on a snap on mig weder CRUIZER. We all ask specific questions from time to time and dont like being belittled by the answers we get.
                              He's not being bashed.... If you understand what the problem is, let us know. Seems like everyone IS trying to help...He's the one comparing Miller's manual to "chinese stuff" & complaining, instead of thanking everyone for attempting to help!
                              And yes I AM proud of this board!
                              Syncrowave 180 SD
                              1971 Roughneck 1e
                              Stars-n-Stripes BWE
                              Optrel Satellite OSE
                              ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
                              Lincoln 200SA Diesel
                              O/A Set
                              1.5 kVA Spot Welder