What are collets made from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are collets made from?

Are collets (on TIG torches) made from brass or copper?

My guess would be a copper alloy but it could be a copper plated steel.
    Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
    Millermatic Challenger 172
    VictorO/A
    Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
    Esab PCM-875
    Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

I'm sure there is no steel in my collets they look to me to be a hardened copper, alloyed with zirconium or beryllium, chromium, silicon, or a combo of all of em, I think it's called precipitation hardening.

The more brass in the alloy the yellower the colour, more copper more red, my collets are quite red, so I belive they are a copper based alloy.

Comment

Originally posted by RadMan
        I'm sure there is no steel in my collets they look to me to be a hardened copper, alloyed with zirconium or beryllium, chromium, silicon, or a combo of all of em, I think it's called precipitation hardening.

The more brass in the alloy the yellower the colour, more copper more red, my collets are quite red, so I belive they are a copper based alloy.
        I'm not aware of any alloys of copper being "Percipitation Hardening" like Stainless Steels, ie. 15-5 PH, 17-4 PH, etc. There are different tempers of some brass alloys, quarter hard, half-hard, etc. And the name Brass actually denotes an alloy of copper, a mix of mostly copper, zinc, and tin. There's other trace elements included depending on the specific alloy, lead, nickel, silicon, manganese, phosphorous, tellerium, and sulfur.

If I had to guess I bet TIG collets are made from CDA alloy 110, 99.9% minimum copper. The electrical conductivity is 101% compared to 93-95% for the best other grades of copper and 26-28% for brasses. I used to buy Tellurium copper screw machine parts years ago and they looked VERY pink! Odd when Your used to seeing gold C-360 free machining brass parts.
        Denny
        MillerMatic 185
        HyperTherm 600
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Will-Weld 200A Buzzbox
        O/A torch

Comment

I'm not a metalurgist, but I have been working with this stuff for many years.
          I guess What I mean is if the copper is brassy it is yellow, copper and zinc, if it is bronzey it is reddish, no zinc, but perhaps beryllium, nickel, even aluminum or something.

They might both be copper, but in my industry, soft copper, such as the stuff used to make radiator tubing and finning is called copper, a half hardened yellow tank is called 'brass', and is not soft at all. When I am ordering metal, I must be clear if I want red soft copper or yellow brass.

As with aluminum there are many different alloys, but the question was specific about tig torch collets. mine are red in colour and much harder than the copper I work with in radiators, therefore I belive they are made from hardened copper and precipitation hardening is a common way of doing that.

Slang terms can be confusing,i had a customer a couple years ago specified 'food grade' stainless steel,being new to SS , I learned a couple hours later was he wanted 'restaurant grade' SS otherwise known as 304, when I informed him of the correct term he said everyone calls it food grade and I should have known that! Needless to say there was no discount on that job.

Comment

Working...
          X