Thoughts on Plasma Cutters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Plasma Cutters?

I have been looking around at Plasma cutters, and think they could be a pretty handy tool. I know this is a Miller forum, but is the consensus that Millers units are up there with other mfg's in terms of price/performance? Just trying to gather info at this point, for future reference. I can't imagine I would need anything bigger than a 1/2" rated cut, so for example, the Spectrum 625 would be the unit from Miller. Thoughts/comments/suggestions? Thanks!

miller plasmas

Miller had issues with there plasmas years ago but are right up there in the quality range you would expect from Miller now. a miller plasma purchase is a good one.
    i have the 125-C and several here have the 375 and 625's as well as some of the larger units and all report being very happy with there choice. miller is going to be a few $$ over some of the other choices but as usual it gets you the Miller after sails help and security we have all come to love and respect.

in short ya cant go wrong with a miller.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

Plasma questions

I had some plasma questions too when looking for a new unit .The questions - answers and the outcome. Here is a link to the Hobart thread: http://hobartwelders.com/mboard/showthread.php?t=19225

Comment

I like my Miller Plasma. I would suggest that ya buy the biggest one you can. When it comes to plasmas I don't think ya can have enough power.
        If ya check out my post (More block mold work) (last 3 pics) you'll see some plasma work. It's .625 plate.
        Bulldog
        5 Passport Pluses
        2 MM 212's
        MM 210
        MM 251 MIA
        MM 350 P w/Python
        Syncrowave 250
        w/ tig runner
        Trailblazer 302
        12RC w/meters
        Spectrum 1000
        Spectrum 2050
        2 Black BWEs
        Joker BWE
        Star & stripe BWE Digital
        2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
        CUMMINS BABY

Comment

bigger is better

Like bulldog said bigger is better.

Don't take anybodies word on rating, unless you try it yourself.
          Will a 625 cut 1/2 steel? sure it will.....may not be pretty, but look at bulldogs cuts (by hand) with his 1000.
          If your going to cut thin stuff with detail then go smaller or buy 2.....
          and remember to feed it CDA.

sstec

Comment

If you're aware of that thermal dynamics 38 on craigslist, I talked him down to 800. I'm not going to buy it at that price, but it's probably worth every penny of $800 (been removed from the box and that's it: according to him).

30 amps just isn't enough for what I want to do with a plasma cutter. Saving for the bigger machine (should say, holding out for one).
            Syncrowave 250DX
            Invison 354MP
            XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
            Smith O/A rig
            And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

If you buy a Thermal it makes no difference in the torch consumables
              as to size. Meaning you can run the small exact tip (20 amp) in a cutmaster 38 or a cutmaster 101. The kerf and cut will be the same. My cutmaster 151
              uses the same parts to but only goes down to 25 amps so the 20 amp tips
              are out. They happen to have the same orifice size as the 30 amp ones so it
              does not mean much. The detail basiclly is the no matter what machine in
              the thermal line, Although I swear the 100 amp 151 is even smoother then
              the 101 80 amp unit. (That's probably in my head though)
              I never cut with my table below 30 amps anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V

If you buy a Thermal it makes no difference in the torch consumables
                as to size. Meaning you can run the small exact tip (20 amp) in a cutmaster 38 or a cutmaster 101. The kerf and cut will be the same. My cutmaster 151
                uses the same parts to but only goes down to 25 amps so the 20 amp tips
                are out. They happen to have the same orifice size as the 30 amp ones so it
                does not mean much. The detail basically is the no matter what machine in
                the thermal line, Although I swear the 100 amp 151 is even smoother then
                the 101 80 amp unit. (That's probably in my head though)
                I never cut with my table below 30 amps anyway.
                That was one thing I was wondering, if someone bought, for example, a Spectrum 1251, I'm sure it would do perfectly fine cutting the big stuff (at that price, it had better! ) but how does it work when you try and do finer things, is it just not possible to have one unit be able to do "everything"? Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but when you spend (around) 4 grand on a unit, it sure would be nice if it could be that versatile. But then it could also be like try to use a top fuel dragster to run Le Man's, superb straight acceleration but not so much in the cornering dept...

Comment

Ht/1250 Opinion

my ht 1250 is about 3-1/2 maybe 4 yrs old don,t remember exactly but it has never let me down.It will cut anything up too 1" no problem 1'"1/4 it will sever but it struggles, 1/8" as fast as you can drag the torch.
                  BB402D
                  TB300D
                  DIMENSION652
                  MM250X
                  MAXSTAR140
                  S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                  HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Originally posted by alha
                    That was one thing I was wondering, if someone bought, for example, a Spectrum 1251, I'm sure it would do perfectly fine cutting the big stuff (at that price, it had better! ) but how does it work when you try and do finer things, is it just not possible to have one unit be able to do "everything"? Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but when you spend (around) 4 grand on a unit, it sure would be nice if it could be that versatile. But then it could also be like try to use a top fuel dragster to run Le Man's, superb straight acceleration but not so much in the cornering dept...
                    Miller/ Hypertherm use different torches/consumables between sizes of plasmacutters so there could be a difference between how the smaller and larger ones cut. Thermal on the other hand uses the same torch and consumables in their line. They have two torches The SL60 and SL 100
                    but the cable size is the difference. I use a SL 60 hand torch on my
                    100 amp plasma but I watch the duty-cycle. I mostly machine cut
                    with my 100 amp SL100 machine torch. I use the SL 60 on my Pakmaster 38
                    XL too and there is no real difference if you are cutting at 25 amps.

If you are cutting tin foil at a slow speed then you might need a machine
                    that goes lower then 20 amps. I can get around a 0.010- 0.015 kerf with
                    either of my units. It's the torch and not the machine for the most part.
                    I can switch back to the factory torch the 38 xl came with and and get the
                    smallest kerf Thermal has ever built into a hand held torch. It's the torch again.

If you are doing hand held art type stuff a little plasma like a Esab 125 (11 amp) with that style torch (tiny head-exposed tip) will give you a advantage over a larger torch.

Comment

This is a machine cut at 40 amps on .180 MS
                      This is why I recommend at least a 40 amp machine
                      if you do not need the 120 volt input of a 30 amp output
                      machine. It has no bevel and is only a very slight little dross.
                      (Hard to see even) The other thing is both sides of the plate
                      seem to have no real bevel. That's rare in plasmacutting.
                      The more I play with the Thermal the better it gets. It takes
                      a while to get all the parameters right, but when you do it's
                      like a laser in the cut face.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thoughts on plasma cutters? Yup, I'd sure like one! I'm trying to figure out how many 1.75 litre Vodka jugs I won't be able to drink if I want to get one.......

Hank
                        ...from the Gadget Garage
                        Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                        Handler 210 w/DP3035
                        TA185TSW
                        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Probably more than 3 or 4?
                          Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
                          Millermatic Challenger 172
                          VictorO/A
                          Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
                          Esab PCM-875
                          Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Originally posted by tailshaft56
                            Probably more than 3 or 4?
                            Not if it's a Riland. I have heard they are the best of the best. America
                            cannot even get close.

Comment

I forgot about them! I'll toss my hat in the ring.

Will Work For Plasma Cutter
                              Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
                              Millermatic Challenger 172
                              VictorO/A
                              Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
                              Esab PCM-875
                              Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Working...
                              X