diamondback torch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diamondback torch

I have a dynasty 300 with a diamondback torch.The unit is three years old,with less than ten hours on it.I took it in to be serviced because the wheel on the water cooler wasn't spinning.Bottom line,power cable and the water cable had to be replaced.Has anybody had any problems with diamondback torches.

If the water cooler wasnt spinning , the cables more than likely got overheated and melted. That would not be a torch problem , any water cooled torch needs the water to cool the lines , thats why they can use such small cable. Its more than likely you would need to replace the lines if the cooling system fails no matter what torch system is on it. except ofcourse an air cooled.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by nbyjim
      I have a dynasty 300 with a diamondback torch.The unit is three years old,with less than ten hours on it.I took it in to be serviced because the wheel on the water cooler wasn't spinning.Bottom line,power cable and the water cable had to be replaced.Has anybody had any problems with diamondback torches.
      As I've stated before, the problem with spinning wheels on water coolers is that they only provide feedback if you are looking at them. If a cooler failure occurs while you're not watching the spinning wheel go round and round, guess what, you're out of luck, because you're busy welding and you didn't notice your cooler just went belly up.

Soooooo, to make sure you don't blow another torch, you can get a fuse block from most torch manufacturers. It won't prevent your cooler from breaking, but it will disable the arc almost immediately, and thus prevent you from burning up the torch. It will also give you immediate notification that your cooler is not working so you can go and find out what the problem is. It's cheap and reliable insurance if you don't have an active system monitoring your cooler.

regards,
      dseman

Comment

i was wondering if someone could hook up a simple optical sensor and with a fairly basic digital circuit, could set up an alarm that went off if the wheel stopped. Not something i'm going to build considering I don't have a water cooler, but it might be something for someone to consider.
        hre

Comment

It'd be much easier to install a magnet in the wheel and a reed switch connected to a capacitor to steady the signal. Switch stops, capacitor drains, and alarm goes off.
          Syncrowave 250DX
          Invison 354MP
          XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
          Smith O/A rig
          And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

another way to skin a cat, so long as the magnet/wheel doesn't stop in the wrong position.
            hre

Comment

i was wondering about that when i started looking into building a cooler, i wonder why miller or any other comp. hasent looked into a cooler shut off alarm???
              perhaps this thred will get them thinking. it would cirtenly put there coller on the top of the to buy list.
              after all torches are purty $$$.

dseman
              i like the fuse ideal and will defenetly go that roiught should i get that far.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

Nbyjim have you replaced your coolant in any of the three years you used it??Most of the time a little gel will appear in coolant tanks, and it doesnt take much to clog a #20 torch. I replace all my coolants every year, and flush thoroughly, my torches.
                Trailblazer 302g
                coolmate4
                hf-251d-1
                super s-32p
                you can never know enough

Comment

Thats why I put a pressure guage on the outlet side of my cooler, of course it won't help on sudden plug-ups but if the coolant is getting thicker for some reason the pressure reading changes and gives me a clue something is up.
                  Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                  Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                  Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                  Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

torch

thanks for the replies,I haven't replaced the coolant,figured I didn't have that much time on the machine,but will do so.

Comment

i think not having much time on it makes it worse, it just means its been sitting stagnant longer making algae growth more likely.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

Working...
                      X