Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3faze
    replied
    I also recommend the rental of a dynasty 300dx but if you do decide to use your dynasty 200dx with a helium argon mix, I would suggest using 75%he and 25%ar instead of pure helium because arc starting with pure helium can be guite difficult at times, and 75%he will be able to give you all the extra heat you need

Hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• ZeroHero
    replied
    Originally posted by dyn88
    preheat with 6061 takes the properties that make it 6061 right out of the part(especially if its a small part). Take a piece of 1/4 2"x2" plate weld a bead on the back side of it then flip it over and machine the front side. You will find the haz (which is not visable) will be gummy and soft. 6061 needs to be welded hot and fast to avoid softening of too large an area. Preheat is ok for 6061 if the part is going to be post heat treated to achive the original strength. Most engineers use 6061 do to its high tensile strength (as far as aluminum goes), but do not take into consideration what happens to the structural integrity of the material during the welding process. Usually strength with 6061 are not an issue to the average hobbiest, but if you are bidding this job for a contractor make sure you know the full scope of work to be completed. joebass has the right idea, to do the job correctly.
    When I look at KB Fabrications pictures I always see him having the heatgun goin Isn't preheat with a heat gun ok I'm even using a heat gun now lol.

Leave a comment:

• dyn88
    replied
    preheat with 6061 takes the properties that make it 6061 right out of the part(especially if its a small part). Take a piece of 1/4 2"x2" plate weld a bead on the back side of it then flip it over and machine the front side. You will find the haz (which is not visable) will be gummy and soft. 6061 needs to be welded hot and fast to avoid softening of too large an area. Preheat is ok for 6061 if the part is going to be post heat treated to achive the original strength. Most engineers use 6061 do to its high tensile strength (as far as aluminum goes), but do not take into consideration what happens to the structural integrity of the material during the welding process. Usually strength with 6061 are not an issue to the average hobbiest, but if you are bidding this job for a contractor make sure you know the full scope of work to be completed. joebass has the right idea, to do the job correctly.

Leave a comment:

• TJS
    replied
    I had a 200 DX and had it up there sometimes doing welds like you were, but it was not 3/16" though. Yes preheat would be good, try an old toaster oven if they fit or even a gas grille. I have a 300DX now, maybe as others said renting or "demoing" a demo model at the welding supply place might be an option. I demo'd one on a Saturday before I bought it and they let me take it back to my shop for the day. Might want to look into that as well.
    Let us know how you make out and take some pics.
    T.J.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    yep go with a rental, you will spend more setting up with the new gas mix then you would in renting the 300DX and could still end up with issues. you are only talking about an extra $0.50 per part to cover the rental. that should be no problem working into your bid. if it is you bid the job too low to start with and you better pass on it.

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    First off, the machine will do 3/16" 6061 with no problem, especially with a little pre-heat. But like joebass said, you WILL more than likely run into duty cycle issues due to the amount of welding you are planning. Even if you run a helium blended gas you will be pushing that machine hard.

The other side to this is how long are you going to be idle between welds. If your set-up on each part takes you a few minutes between welds then it might just do it but your fan will probably be running constantly and you will potentially put the unit into thermal shutdown. Just something to think about. Personally, I like joebass' suggestion of a rental.

Leave a comment:

• joebass
    replied
    Your going to run into duty cycle issues. Your talking over 200 inches of weld one after another at close to max the machines output. Rent a Dynasty 300, use the gas you have, pass it on to the customer and be done with it. I can rent any machine I want for 50.00 a day or 100 a week. By the way, if you want to try it with the 200 and gas mix you have the numbers backwards. You want 75% Helium.

Leave a comment:

• millermania
    replied
    Ahh excellent suggestion! Would a 25/75 He/Ar work well? Or would you say just go to straight He?

Leave a comment:

• lramberson
    Guest replied
    Run Helium Blended gas you will be there... You will be running about 150 amps with pure Helium and still backing out of the pedal once things start going .

Leave a comment:

• millermania
    started a topic D200DX Capacity Question

D200DX Capacity Question

I've got a potential job that involves a fillet weld of a 3/16" thick tab to a 3/16" baseplate. The material is 6061-T6 Aluminum. The job is doing about 100 of these fillet welds, each about 2.5" long. It sounds like I'd be running the D200DX pretty much wide open. Am I going to be wasting time waiting for the machine to cool down between welds? How many parts could a welding house do in an hour?
Working...
X