Subframe connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subframe connectors

Looking for a recommendation on tungsten size to use for welding these subframes on a vehicle the plate on the end of the frame connectors are a tad under 1/8" so I figure around 125 amps should be sufficient, 1 amp per .001" of material. These will be getting welded to the unibody structure of a vehicle which I believe is 14 gauge or a tad thicker in some areas. I have ceriated and lanthanated tungsten in both 1/16" and 3/32" inch. Should I just base my choice on current capacity or should I use the thicker tungsten. Miller lists 1/16" as being for 70-150 amps and 3/32 for 150-250 amps
    J & J Speed Shop
    (716) 830-0506
    www.JandJSpeedShop.com
    [email protected]

TIG for these is going to be slow hard work....
    I've always used MIG on these and never had a problem. Quick and clean.
    My 2 cents worth.
    But IF you're gonna go with TIG, I would think the 3/32" would work ok and set the amperage per your estimate, then adjust accordingly once you get started to accommodate for any material thickness changes.

MM210 w/3035 Spooler
    Stars & Stripes BWE signed by Andy

TA185TSW w/Miller Radiator 1
    Miller Spectrum 125C
    Victor O/A
    Parker Plasma 40

Comment

Why?????

just curious as to why you would want to tig these.........i have tubbed out several cars....... and have never even considered tig welding the sub frame connectors........if this was going to be a show car where you could see every inch of the car at a show up on stands....i might consider it,.....not trying to start anything, down you in anyway, just wondering where the mear thought of this came from....the customer, appearance.....etc

marty
      Miller Synchrowave 250
      OTC 300DM with external wire feeder
      Miller XLi Dale Sr., fibre metal hoods
      Metaltek of Ky. Inc.
      Home of the Stephensburg weld

Comment

you can weld down to 30 amps with a 3/32 lanthanated tung. cut with 20 degree taper and a .020” flat. the 3/32 is realy the work horse of the sizes for the dyn.200
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

Most cars floors don't weld to well with tig. They will spit garbage in Your cup, and elsewhere, although You can get silicon bronze to lay down if You keep the heat close to a min. I would use mig if I were You. Carl.

Comment

Subs

I agree with Marty. Everyone I know ( including me ) that installs subs migs them in.

Comment

Working...
            X