Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma or Air Carbon Arc Gouging

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Stick rod
    gary,
    I use standard air couplers.The Tweco quick connects I use will accept
    1/0,2/0 & 3/0 cable.
    My question is what is "standard". I think I'm using the size right below what everyone else uses because 1/0 is about the largest cable you can use with these. I should probably switch to the larger size now before I guy any more connectors.
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000
    Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
    Home Made Welding Trailer

    Comment


    • #32
      just size your couplers to the cable you are using. If you are not going to go any larger than 1/0 and 1/0 works fine, then why mess with it? I use the 1/0 - 2/0 tweco connectors.
      hre

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Coalsmoke
        just size your couplers to the cable you are using. If you are not going to go any larger than 1/0 and 1/0 works fine, then why mess with it? I use the 1/0 - 2/0 tweco connectors.
        Just because I want to be compatible with everyone else. You never know when one of your buddies says "here, try this". I know, it's a small issue, but I'm just an nit-pickly guy.
        Millermatic 35
        Miller TB302G
        Ellis 1800
        Smith & Victor Torches
        Optrel Satellite
        Arcair K4000
        Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
        Home Made Welding Trailer

        Comment


        • #34
          in that case, i think you will find that the 1/0-2/0 tweco lugs to be as close to a standard as one can get. Course, that is for around here, no telling if its different else where.
          hre

          Comment


          • #35
            Tweco model 4, and Lenco LC-40 seem to be the standard wherever I have been. you can get a whip connector for small cables that fits these.
            Attached Files
            Jeff

            Comment


            • #36
              Jeff's answer is much better, giving you acutal usable answers lol. I just went out to the truck and checked mine, and they are Lenco 40 as well, the lugs on the welder read "Lenco CT-40 FA"
              hre

              Comment


              • #37
                There is no way I could get along without my K4000. I've had it for about 5 months I think?? I run it off of two Idealarc 250's. There is no going back after using one. I use it almost every day. It saves me huge amounts of time and oxygen and actylene. I got a pretty good deal on mine too. I worked on a forklift for a friend of mine and of course when he asked how much he owed me, I said, "Nothing, but I need to borrow that torch." He said, "I don't use it anymore, you can have it. And you can have all the carbons I have too." He handed me a box of 3/16 and four boxes of 5/16. He told me when I use those up he has plenty more. So I haven't even had to buy any carbons to operate it.

                Oh yeah, mine has three holes. Seems like the K4000's have different numbers of holes.
                Zeb's Welding and Machine

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by J hall
                  Tweco model 4, and Lenco LC-40 seem to be the standard wherever I have been. you can get a whip connector for small cables that fits these.
                  I agree. Just an unsolicited hint though---give them a squirt of WD-40 just before sliding them together-- then the pieces will slip easily. If you try to assemble them dry you will have problems.
                  rvannatta
                  www.vannattabros.com
                  Miller Bobcat 225G
                  Miller Big 40 ('79 gasser)<gone>
                  Miller 375 Plasma cutter<gone>
                  Lincoln Vantage 400
                  Lincoln Pro-Cut 80

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Rvannatta
                    I agree. Just an unsolicited hint though---give them a squirt of WD-40 just before sliding them together-- then the pieces will slip easily. If you try to assemble them dry you will have problems.
                    learn something new everyday. Mind you, i have never had a problem with dry connectors..
                    hre

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Coalsmoke
                      learn something new everyday. Mind you, i have never had a problem with dry connectors..
                      When I built up our leads we of course did it with 2/0 cable which is just big enough to make the allen screws a little proud on the connectors and the rubber covers didn't want to slide over them, but with a wd-40 squirt they just slid together.
                      rvannatta
                      www.vannattabros.com
                      Miller Bobcat 225G
                      Miller Big 40 ('79 gasser)<gone>
                      Miller 375 Plasma cutter<gone>
                      Lincoln Vantage 400
                      Lincoln Pro-Cut 80

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        oh now i get it, you are talking about first assembling the rubber over the lug, makes sense. Mine were a bit tight too. I thought you meant to keep the locking lugs lubricated.
                        hre

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          What I`ve got is the Tweco cable connector 2-MPC set of male and female.Or the Lenco LC 40 is compatable with those also.For air couplers I use the Milton style appropriate for the hose I`m using.I do have a selection of air hose couplers on the truck so I can adapt to the customers air set-up if need be.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Another hint... Wrap the end of the cable in shim stock to keep the strands collected under the set screw. Some will remember when the shim stock was included with connectors and stingers.
                            Jeff

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by J hall
                              Another hint... Wrap the end of the cable in shim stock to keep the strands collected under the set screw. Some will remember when the shim stock was included with connectors and stingers.
                              Your starting to date yourself.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Stick rod
                                Your starting to date yourself.
                                I knew it would happen someday.....
                                Jeff

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X