Back Gas vs. Solar Flux Or …

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Gas vs. Solar Flux Or …

This is my 2nd post in this forum, although I have been a frequent reader.

I have a project with a food grade stainless container - it is approx 8 1/4 inches in diameter, but the 'mouth' opening is only about 4 inches wide and 3 inch tall (oval) – the opening is on top. When welding it up, I plan on having the weld seam anywhere from 6 to 12 inches down from the opening - the overall height of the container could vary (24 to 48 inches give or take).

The Solar Flux page has a small blurb about food grade tubing - actually suggests not using their product on it:
    ...In these situations we recommend purging instead of Solar Flux so as to avoid a difficult chemical cleaning process.

I have read in this forum that Solar Flux can be a pain to get off and since my opening is a little on the small side - I think my options are limited. The Solar Flux page does mention 'pickling ' or something called Wonder Gel to help get it off - I don’t think a stainless wheel will work for my container, plus I am concerned about that web page statement.

I was trying to avoid back gassing because of the added expense of another bottle (because I just dropped some coin on a Maxstar 150) – I have an extra Argon/CO2 regulator that I can borrow from my MIG setup. Oh and if I used some sort of device (like a 2 sided cardboard cut out or the like) to keep the gas in just the weld area (instead of the entire container), I would have to remove it thru the small opening once done.

I was also wondering if a copper ‘back plate’ would work and how precise it would have to be because the work piece is round –the opening would limit the size of the plate, but I think I could make something to fit.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

Since your container is mostly enclosed, you could fill the thing with argon prior to starting the weld. Argon is heavier than air, so it'll stay in there till you heat it and it expands out. How well this will work really depends on the position of the welds and how much gas you can get in there without losing it to leaks.

You don't need 2 bottles for a back purge either. You need some way to regulate the flow rates of two orifices. This could be as simple as getting another flow meter and making a y in the inlet line to the welder.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Why not rent a bottle for a day at your dealer? What will it cost 10.00? I know its not much around here.

Comment

I wouldn't use Solarflux on anything that's food grade stuff.

Get a splitter and do it with one bottle.

I realize that it's a money issue with looking at things like this, but consider that quality work brings more work. If your customer sees that you did a half-*** job on this, it may be the last job he gives you.

Comment

i wish they rented bottles around here. as far as bottles, i have 2 options and they both work the same - buy the bottle from them and 10 to fill up the next time(s). i dont even think i need to buy the bottle from them (i bought a co2 bottle off the net and they didnt have a problem filling it), but they dont do the rental thing.

i heard in some areas home depot is doing gas bottle rentals, so maybe one day they will bring that here.

so what would i need to split it out (and where could i get it)? is there an argon setup available like this CO2 twin reg - maybe i can modify my existing regualtor:
          http://users.adelphia.net/~jcollet/twin_co2_reg.JPG

i think my bottle is an 80 cu ft, so imagine i will go thru it twice as fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo
            i wish they rented bottles around here. as far as bottles, i have 2 options and they both work the same - buy the bottle from them and 10 to fill up the next time(s). i dont even think i need to buy the bottle from them (i bought a co2 bottle off the net and they didnt have a problem filling it), but they dont do the rental thing.

i heard in some areas home depot is doing gas bottle rentals, so maybe one day they will bring that here.

so what would i need to split it out (and where could i get it)? is there an argon setup available like this CO2 twin reg - maybe i can modify my existing regualtor:
            http://users.adelphia.net/~jcollet/twin_co2_reg.JPG

i think my bottle is an 80 cu ft, so imagine i will go thru it twice as fast.
            You need a Western Enterprises T-92 Tee. $14.34 from
            WWW.weldingsupply.com. Item # 312-4830
            Syncrowave 180 SD
            MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
            1971 Roughneck 1e
            Stars-n-Stripes BWE
            Optrel Satellite OSE
            ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
            Lincoln 200SA Diesel
            O/A Set
            Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
            1.5 kVA Spot Welder
            Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
            My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

http://www.tigdepot.com/products/p6.html

You need a dual flowmeter setup like this to do it right, or 2 cylinders and 2 regs.. I bought my Victor dual flowmeter on Ebay for 40.00 shipped. You could sell your other MIG regulator and save the money on Solar flux and have one paid for. Then you have the right tool for the job. I always keep my dual hooked up on my TIGrunner.

Comment

i use the western T with 2 regulator/flow meters. it works great. you could solve your problem for 20 bucks. the T a piece of hose and a little ball valve and your done. Cheap!!
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Millermatic 175
                Spectrum 375
                All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Working...
                X