Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ceriated or Lanthanated on .063" Aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceriated or Lanthanated on .063" Aluminum?

I started tigging some aluminum this week. I have never tried, but I was having the worst time seeing the puddle and controlling the erractic arc. All pieces had been thoroughly cleaned and prepped too. I was using 1/16" pure tungsten since that is what I had.

I searched this board and found that many use the ceriated or lanthanated tungsten. Is there a difference between the two? From what I read, I am leaning towards the 2% Lanthanated Tungsten (blue) for my application (.063" 6061 Aluminum). Does this sound correct and would it cure the problems I am having? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
    AL TIG Newbie

Need to know what type machine (Inverter or Transformer) you are using to be able to recomend which tungsten to use. I use 2% lanthanated in my TA185TSW, but Ceriated would work as well I believe.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown
      Need to know what type machine (Inverter or Transformer) you are using to be able to recomend which tungsten to use. I use 2% lanthanated in my TA185TSW, but Ceriated would work as well I believe.
      It is a Lincoln Precision TIG 185. Yeah yeah, I know, wrong color, but I bought it before I knew about this forum. It has the built in pulser with it.

Mike

Comment

Try 3/32 Ceriated sharpen to a point and it will ball on its own. Pure sucks and this will work much better. You can also use it on steel.

Comment

Will it ball too much to cause an erratic arc? I am having a hard time controlling the puddle because of this too.

Comment

No, the ball is much smaller and allows for a more focused arc.

Comment

Originally posted by joebass
              No, the ball is much smaller and allows for a more focused arc.
              Do you have experience with the lanthanated or do you know how it compares to ceriated? I just want to learn the differences.

Thanks!

Comment

Scho,

I believe you might want to try Zirconiated with your welder, being a transfomer based power supply.

Pete

Comment

Scho

You can use lanthanated for everything.
                  I prefer zirconiated for aluminum though. It's almost idiot proof. Don't ask how I know.

Comment

I use Lanthanated exclusively on My Dynasty. But I have not used it on a transformer machine.

Comment

Ok, next question, is ceriated not used for transformer-powered machines? I am going to pick up some tungsten at the welding shop today.

Comment

Originally posted by Scho
                        Ok, next question, is ceriated not used for transformer-powered machines? I am going to pick up some tungsten at the welding shop today.
                        Scho, I use nothing but ceriated electrodes with my 180 sd, it works on aluminum and steel, truely idiot proof, I'm not sure if a different electrode will help your issue with erratic arc tho, I've done lot's of aluminum with pure tungsten with no problems, you may have other issues.

Comment

I would use the pulser on that machine. it will help with that thin of aluminum. I use only ceriated on my transformer machine. Ceriated can be dipped in the weld and it resists contamination.
                          Ben Fox
                          www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com

Miller Dynasty 300 SD
                          Millermatic 130
                          MillerMatic 252
                          Jet Lathe
                          Jet Mill
                          Rottler SG7 seat and guide machine

Comment

Originally posted by FoxPerformance
                            Ceriated can be dipped in the weld and it resists contamination.

I wouldn't recommend doing that with any electrode.

Comment

I have used Ceriated with an older Syncrowave 250 it works great. As I said earlier much better than pure.

Comment

Working...
                              X