No announcement yet.

Is anyone here a Fan of the MM175

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i like my mm175 a bunch. for the heavy stuff i fire up the stick.
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d

Comment

I liked mine so much, that i sold it. In my opinion its no contest, my SP 175+ is the better performer. The MM 175 is a decent unit, the SP 175+ is just better.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
        I liked mine so much, that i sold it. In my opinion its no contest, my SP 175+ is the better performer. The MM 175 a decent unit, the SP 175+ is just better.
        if it came in anything but red i'd consider it
        miller 225 bobcat
        mm175, mm211, TA181i
        mm252 w/30a spool gun
        precision tig 225
        trash the b#####d

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
          I liked mine so much, that i sold it. In my opinion its no contest, my SP 175+ is the better performer. The MM 175 a decent unit, the SP 175+ is just better.

Looks like Esab is getting in to the smaller units again. There is
          also a Thermal/Airgas show and they are bringing in two of
          their small units.

For some reason I doubt they will match the red ones. Just
          too dang reliable to gamble on any other color. Although I am sure
          Riland will have something that will run on 115 and spray-arc
          all day for about $1.50

Comment

Originally posted by jbmprods
            if it came in anything but red i'd consider it
            Not a problem. Rattle can paint at Wally World. 99 cents a can and it is decent paint for the money.
            Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
            Millermatic Challenger 172
            VictorO/A
            Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
            Esab PCM-875
            Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V
              Looks like Esab is getting in to the smaller units again. There is
              also a Thermal/Airgas show and they are bringing in two of
              their small units.

For some reason I doubt they will match the red ones. Just
              too dang reliable to gamble on any other color. Although I am sure
              Riland will have something that will run on 115 and spray-arc
              all day for about $1.50
              If Riland is doing that then maybe, due to the price of gasoline now, they can bring over a car that will run all day for $1.50 It's getting so bad I am thinking of getting a bike again, much to my wife's displeasure since my old R100RS tried to kill me by sliding along at 70 > 50mph on its cylinder head into the front of a logging truck, I was lucky and was able to dismount just before it hit the truck and only suffered a broken ankle (14 breaks) and lots of RR I did promise her I wouldn't ride fast in the twisties anymore.
              Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
              Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
              Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
              Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown
                If Riland is doing that then maybe, due to the price of gasoline now, they can bring over a car that will run all day for $1.50 It's getting so bad I am thinking of getting a bike again, much to my wife's displeasure since my old R100RS tried to kill me by sliding along at 70 > 50mph on its cylinder head into the front of a logging truck, I was lucky and was able to dismount just before it hit the truck and only suffered a broken ankle (14 breaks) and lots of RR I did promise her I wouldn't ride fast in the twisties anymore.
                Do you still have the old boxer?, I suspect after an encounter with a logging truck perhaps not much left to keep.
                I clearly remember my dad complaining about gasoline being 50 cents a gallon, and thats an imperial gallon lol.

Comment

Bought mine about three years ago and have used it a lot. I have had no problems with it. Yes I love this rig. Of course I will be adding a wire feed unit to my XMT 304 for heavier stuff soon.

Comment

my brother wasn't so lucky. he got killed on his goldwing 3 yrs ago got ran off the road. someone was chasing him and finaly they caught him. twisty moutain roads ain't the best on a goldwing for speed. if he had been on his R100RS thats still sitting in my shop he probably wouldn't have got caught. i was going to start riding again so i kept the bmw around but i don't think it would be wise with a bum right leg not to mention my 81yr old mom would have a heart attack so i'll probaly sell it someday.
                    miller 225 bobcat
                    mm175, mm211, TA181i
                    mm252 w/30a spool gun
                    precision tig 225
                    trash the b#####d

Comment

Might be the WST factor...

George, could you please explain more. Thx.

EDIT: I realize its referring to the automatic wirespeed tracking system, but maybe someone could explain why this system was implemented in the first place / what purpose does it serve? I get the impression its not a popular feature
                      hre

Comment

Coalsmoke, I haven't figured out WHY it's necessary, but I can see the marketing spin that was the potential for it. Each voltage range has wirespeeds that fit within it for different wires, etc. There's no way you'd need the machine's highest wire speeds on the lower voltage settings, for example.

So, it narrows the range of wire speeds available at each voltage, which can give you a slightly easier dialing-in, since the dial would be a finer adjustment, even if only slightly.

BUT, it backfired. Newbies have a tendency to play with knobs they shouldn't (which WST actually claims to help,) and pros SOMETIMES really DO want to slightly change a voltage without touching the wirespeed. This effect is probably worse on a variable-voltage machine like the MM175, since fine adjustments in voltage aren't possible in tapped machines like the HH180 anyway.

Comment

my take on the debate is this:

the mm175 will get close enough and stay there with little effort.

the lincoln will get closer but with more effort and be more sensative to having exact settings

i don't really think you can go wrong.
                          Dynasty 200 DX
                          Millermatic 175
                          Spectrum 375
                          All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Thanks guys. Yesterday I was donating my services for a local school's disaster preparedness system, and they had a couple Lincoln 175 welders there. So, instead of firing up the Trailblazer for the light fabbing, I just used their mig and I was surprised how well the little red box dialed in and welded 0.250 plate with CO2. It took about half a dozen little test welds on scrap to dial it in just right, but then it was good to go for the rest of the afternoon and I was pleased with its performance. Naturally I'm a blue man so I've been giving that MM175 some thought. Think I'll see what my local supplier can bring one in for. Thanks for the explanations guys. The WST does make sense now that I understand how its supposed to work, because if the voltage is set right, then only fine adjustments in the wirespeed are needed anyways. I have a not so portable red Century mig here at home and its wirespeed adjustment is very touchy and not linear at all. In the 2-4 setting area where the wirefeed setting is most often set, turning the knob to from 2 up to 2.5 will more than double the wirefeed speed
                            hre

Comment

because if the voltage is set right, then only fine adjustments in the wirespeed are needed anyways.

Then another voltage adjustment then wirefeed etc... Now you understand the blue unit.

If you remember Andy and others said the MM-175 is going bye-bye.
                              It's going to be replaced with a model that has a switch to turn on the
                              WST or better yet off.

Comment

thanks Scott, I didn't know that. I wonder when this new 175 will be coming into out? I've got a job to bid that would need a little mig, and it could be immediate starting. I wonder if something could be worked out where I could trade up. Time to phone my Miller rep.
                                hre

Comment

Working...
                                X