baby cart for bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baby cart for bike

well after many days of playing mostly taking off the paint and rust from my old 1 1/4" sq. tube scraps i finally almost have a baby cart for behind my bike so the wife can make me go bike riding with her.
    i spent $22.00 on the wheels and the 2 bolts and nuts that hold then, the rest is all scrap from the building i built (out of free scrap also ) i have to add fabric still and the poles that attach from the back of the cart to the front to hang the fabric on but i got some really nice medium canvas in bright orange and some clear for windows. so ill make up a pattern and have the wife sew them up, then I'll add some snaps and it will be done. just thought i would get you guys a few pic's be for fabric and paint so you could see how it all went together, I'll post a few more pic's after its finished. just picked up the bike tonight so i could finish the mount system, gotta love that walmart for having some great deals. last time i looked at this bike it was like $280 and tonight as i was about to get a cheaper one (more my budget) saw this one discounted to $99 so i jumped on it instead of the $79 one i had planed on, its got cool disk breaks front and rear heck my truck only has disk breaks in the front

any how heres the progress, i set it up to disconnect at the seat so i could ride without it or just store them separate.
    Attached Files
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Hey James,
    That looks great. Be sure to post some pics of the finished product and an action shot or two. Nice job!
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

James,
      I agree with KB nice looking job.Lets see it in action!

Comment

I'm going to get the wife started on the fabric tomorrow i hope, although we need to go get food for the month tomorrow so i might not get it coved till later depending on how much time she can put into it but i will definitely post finished pic's.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

looks great. It is amazing that you can buy that much bike for the price of a tank of gas. Have you thought about adding a couple of A-pillars just incase the unthinkable happens and baby is involved in some sort of crash? It would help prevent objects from crusing from the front, without really boxing it in too much more.
          hre

Comment

Great looking project, I have been looking over the photos and can't quite figure out how the cart attaches to the bike. It looks like maybe you have some sort of a spring in between also but I can't really tell from the photo. I bet it will look great when it is all done. Neat Idea

Comment

Alright, now it's time for a cruz
              Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
              Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
              Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
              Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Excellant project, just make sure your not throwing rocks in the baby's eyes. Tow behind carriers have shields that keep debris from getting anywhere near their faces from the rear tire as well as any cars passing by. Their kind of like little tow behind Tents.
                Ben Fox
                www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com

Miller Dynasty 300 SD
                Millermatic 130
                MillerMatic 252
                Jet Lathe
                Jet Mill
                Rottler SG7 seat and guide machine

Comment

Coalsmoke
                  there will be poles going from the top back to the top front be for i am done, they will hold the fabric in place as well as cage him in in the event of a role over.

gnewby
                  the attachment to my bike is welded to the seat supports, it is a 1 1/4" tube, then i have inserted a 1" tube and pined it in place. the 1" tube is welded to a large spring then more 1" tube, that is then welded into the 1 1/4" tube going down to the cart.I'll pull the pin and get you a better pic. the spring is needed to allow the connection between bike and cart to pivot to allow me to turn as well as allow my bike's suspension to work but mostly to allow me to turn, if the connection was solid the cart would have to stay at a 180% angle to my bike. think about that for a second and you will get it. my bike has to be able to lean to turn also the bike needs to be able to turn be for the trailer dose ( like the ball hitch to a car trailer). the spring is the easy est way to allow movement in 360% (up, down, left, right, and side to side) as well as several of them at one time.

FoxPerformance
                  the tent part is next, the wife will be sewing it and i will add the needed snaps and buckles needed to attach it and leave it open-able as well as a few options for sun, wind, rain, rock protection as needed.

i ashore you all my son's safety has been cuverd from all angles. that is the main reason i built it so wide, in the event of a role over his arms and legs can not get outside the cart to be smashed between cart and road. i am also considering adding a back fender option to my bike to prevent me throwing debree at him.

thanks for the compliments all, i cant wait till its done so i can take him for a ride although I'm shore by the end of summer the wife will have me hating the hole bike ideal. she wants exercise and is dragging me along with her. as if i didn't have better things to do.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  JAMES

Comment

Nice job Jim if my wife wants me to ride a bike she better get a carrier big enough for me to be towed around in lol

Comment

bigdogjoe62
                      LOL i thought about putting a seat in the cart instead of just a mount for the baby car seat, that way i could hold the baby and rid in the cart wile she pulled. she wasn't going for it though.

gnewby
                      here are some better pic's of the attachment. A is the larger tube attached to my bike with the connecting pin in it, B is the smaller tube drilled for the pin with the spring and then the cart attached, C just shows the spring bent, D is the latest ideal to be able to bring my 6 year old along until he is ready to solo on the road. adding the extra bike makes for quite the pull got to get the kid to peddle and then he can push me.

the wife and i cut out the canvas for the cover already so i gotta get started on the paint so it will be ready when the cover is.
                      Attached Files
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      JAMES

Comment

One suggestion: Ya need bigger wheels.

I have a pair of 12 or 14" bicycle wheels you can have for postage. They're in the basement getting in my way.

The diameter being so small on those will amplify the bumps in the road. Big knobby tires aren't good for rolling resistance either (better for a workout though). You don't want a scrambled kiddo after your pleasant ride.
                        Syncrowave 250DX
                        Invison 354MP
                        XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                        Smith O/A rig
                        And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

fishy, i was thinking the same thing, at first. But then it occured to me that while there is much more rolling resistance, I would think that those fat tires would offer just as much cushion as a bicycle tire, if not even more. Just don't air them up too much. Its hard to say over the interent, maybe Fun will have to get his wife in that thing and take her for a test ride
                          hre

Comment

I had the same thoughts as you about lowering the air pressure, but it still has geometry against it; and the tires will add to the vibration (which kiddo might actually enjoy - or wifey for that matter ).

Try it - it's already done, so there's nothing wrong with seeing what ya got. If you decide they're not what you're after, my offer still stands. I'll check on the rims and see what size they are and check back later. I got them for a recumbent bike project and then decided to use the 26"ers I had for more ground clearance. I still need to make the spindles for that thing. **** metric goofy small hubs.
                            Syncrowave 250DX
                            Invison 354MP
                            XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                            Smith O/A rig
                            And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Good job! That's really a great idea you have there, using a spring for the trailer coupling. Bigger wheels are a good suggestion for the trailer though. I would take up Fishy Jim on his generous offer. Bigger wheels will allow you to go over obstacles like curbing with greater ease. OBTW, I just looked at the photos again and see you have rear power option as well. Awsome!
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X