No announcement yet.

Best Buy on Rollaway tool chests????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The costco boxes really are the best deal going, you won't be dissapointed in what you pay for a quality box with nice rollers, sleek finish etc. My local costco has a couple options available as well, different drawer configurations and different sizes. Personally I'd rather spend the $1300 I saved on tools to fill it with.

Comment

After Decades of spending $$$$ for tools and not tool boxes I bought a SS BB 8-drawer HUSKY from My local HD about 4 yrs ago. Now don't confuse this box with the Costco or Walmart imported boxes..... I talked to Stanley Tool Works and they made a FEW of these boxes for HD. I paid $375 for the top box, 15% off retail for the floor model...... the ONLY one ordered in a three state region!..... I have enough things on the floor to roll around and didn't want the lower which was dinged-up..... but a month later went back to HD and the lower was gone.....Top chest is 18.5"d x 27"w x 19" t and is much heavier than the normal Craftsman or Waterloo stuff i've seen. Included drawer liners, etc. I've since added a roll-around work cart, 60"w x 30"d x 36"t with two doors opening to two shelves with four drawers I got from work for $5.... so I'm set.
      If I was going to buy a painted box I like the CLARKE'S I've seen. The SNAP-ON's are nice..... but WAY too easy to wrap up Five Figures on a tool box.... which is O-K if You use it for a living but tough to get past the CFO for a Weekend Warrior like Me.
      Denny
      MillerMatic 185
      HyperTherm 600
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Will-Weld 200A Buzzbox
      O/A torch

Comment

Amen bother, I've bought mine about three years ago and thinking about getting another one. It's a great buy and you won't be disappointed. Its a fingerprint magnet though, but nothing that wd-40 and a rag won't take care of.
        Syncrowave 250DX w/water cooler
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutter
        Pro Model 105 Mechanical Tube Bender
        (soon to be converted to full hydraulic)
        Bend-Tech SE tube bending and assembly software

Comment

Snap On...

Originally posted by Paul Cataldo
          Paul,
          Heck, I thought many of the Kennedy's were right there at the same pricing as the others mentioned.
          Haven't checked though. Are the Kennedy/Snap-On/Matco's a heavier gauge sheetmetal or something? Better quality hardware? Having never owned any of the above, I've always wondered (besides paying for the name) why the Snap-Ons/etc are so much higher??? Gotta be something different about them....
          Looks like I'll go w/ Husky or Craftsman...
          Paul,

You certainly don't need a Snap On Box... But the quality can't be denied... What's different about them... I can tell you one thing that will speak volumes about what the difference is... My Box weighs 1500lbls EMPTY! That should tell you alot... Look on Snap On's Site... Go to tool storage... And they will have a lot of info about them.

Seriously though... The Higher quality Ball bearing Craftsman Boxes are pretty nice, and you can't beat them for the money... Get that, And spend the saved money on all the tools you really need, that's what's most important!

Best... Tony
          Miller Dynasty 300DX Runner
          Roadster BWE

Comment

I have a big snap on box with my dads old craftsman top box from the 70's which is just as good imo as modern snap on. We got 2 smaller craftsman rollers they are great for the money, half the price of an equaly sized snap on. Im not a fan at all of the locking system though they are a hinged pull lip and get stuck sometimes but overall we love them. I would look for a used older box, im hunting for one for all my drill bits and other misc stuff. Heres a pic of the boxes forgot the model craftsman but def a good choice they are the blue ones under the bench. http://www.low-budgetracing.com/DSCF0060.JPG

Comment

I worked my way up from a small craftsman 20" box, to a 26" Craftsman top box, then added the bottom, then worked a deal for a 42" SnapOn roll cab and finally to a Snappy KLR, 36" wide, 29" deep. This box should do for anything I'll need, and the wide deep drawers swallow a whole lot of tools, and it's built like a tank. Got a deal and got about $2700 in it, not cheap but worth it in my opinion. The ball bearing Craftsman's are good, and the higher end professional series are pretty nice as well. My advice would be to find a good stout box with fewer but bigger drawers, much more storage capacity and generaly cheaper.
              Manny

Comment

No one tried these...

I bought the 3 peice set from HF. Botttom box(41")weighs 400 lb empty. The large drawers have double BB slides. Bought them one at a time...bottom,top, and side. These boxes are better built than all but the Pro Craftsman( about 3x higher). $347 for the bottom, $254 for the top, and $175 for the side. This the sale price less 20% plus tax. Three of use in the shop have the complete set. One guy sold a 10 year old MAC set and bough the HF set. Check them out they are a super buy.

Frank
                XMT300( yes it still works),Hobart Heafty CC/CV, MM175, Airco HF box, Profax spool gun, Bobcat 225, Victor and Smith torches. Reserrected MM130 and Thunderbolt (Katrina flood throwaways) ,

Comment

Cornwell box picture.
                  Attached Files
                  Millermatic 251, Miller DialarcHF 250 AC/DC Tig/Stick
                  Miller Cutmate 375, Victor O/A rig
                  Optrel Satelite Hood
                  B2 Beverly Shear
                  Metabo 7" grinder

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky
                    i picked up an allstainless ball bearing box from costco for 650. its about 48" wide and over 5ft tall. Luckily for me it's made in taiwan and not china, or else i wouln't have been able to bring myself to buy it.

Yup, got another COSTCO buyer here as well. I looked at the large HF ball bearing boxes, Craftsman, Waterloo, Husky, and Lowes. COSTCO was the best of the bunch.

I asked one of the guys at COSTCO if these were good boxes and he said that they selll a ton of these to professional mechanics.

Now get this -- when I asked him how strong it was, he pulled out the lower drawer and stepped in it. This guy was at least 180lbs. The drawer never moved and pulled as smooth as before -- SOLD!!!!

Comment

I saw a costco box this weekend, it was the one with the full width draws, i have the split one where there is one side with wide draws and one side with narrow. I like the full width idea better but it did NOT seem as sturdy as the one i have.
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Millermatic 175
                      Spectrum 375
                      All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Thats because they have to put another support between the drawer.
                        Millermatic 251, Miller DialarcHF 250 AC/DC Tig/Stick
                        Miller Cutmate 375, Victor O/A rig
                        Optrel Satelite Hood
                        B2 Beverly Shear
                        Metabo 7" grinder

Comment

Yup!

so maybe the flimsy costco ones are the full width draws?
                          Dynasty 200 DX
                          Millermatic 175
                          Spectrum 375

Comment

When I originally looked at the Costco boxes, I thought they weredecent looking. I cannot remember what brand, nor what style they were (full width or what). I have not been to Costco in a few years now since I have a Sams Club membership instead.

The box that Sams Club currently sells though is not very good quality. The method that they use to put it together seems very weak to begin with, and it sows in their display model. I would hope that the Costco boxes are better, and it sound like they are from other people.

With that said, I have no reservations about standing in my draw WITH it full of tools. That would be a lot of weight as I am not light weight myself. The deeper drawers have double slides. The latching mechanism on the Waterloo boxes is the same as the Craftsman Grip Latch system. I like it, by brother hates it. I guess each perspn must make that decision...

Joshua

Comment

It's funny how much of a personal choice selecting tools is, my buddy hates grinders with paddle switches, i hate the thumb switches!! I never ask for tools as gifts unless i give a model number.
                              Dynasty 200 DX
                              Millermatic 175
                              Spectrum 375

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky
                                I never ask for tools as gifts unless i give a model number.
                                At this point, everyone in my family KNOWS not to buy me tools as a gift. A simple gift certificate is best... I know that is sounds sad...

Joshua

Comment

Working...
                                X