Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Buy on Rollaway tool chests????

Fellas,
    I'm soon to be in the market for a decent rollaway tool box system, and was looking to see if anyone has an opinion on some of the best buys out there?
    I'm definitely going to go for a ball bearing draw slide model, and I still haven't really decided if there is a difference between the Husky or Kobalt (Lowes), or Craftsman models yet??? I mean, are they all exactly the same?
    I realize there is normally two grades: with AND without ball bearings.
    I'm not even considering spending $3k (or more) on some super sweet Snap On setup, because I'd kick myself the next day, for not spending the money on a better lathe, mill, etc.
    Anyhow, I just want something decent, and I'm really just wondering if there is any reason to choose Craftsman, over Husky, Kobalt, Waterloo, etc, etc.
    Any great deals going on out there right now?
    BTW,
    I probably will go with a decent sized top chest, with a decent sized bottom chest. So just TWO pieces really.
    What kind of deals are out there???

I think the husky and craftsman are about the same if not exactly the same. Never compared the kobalt. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. I would decide on the color (if thats important to you) then put together the package you want and then compare the price. I don't think you are going to find much difference. Personally my garage is loaded up with craftsman. good quality and decent priced.

Kelly

Comment

i picked up an allstainless ball bearing box from costco for 650. its about 48" wide and over 5ft tall. Luckily for me it's made in taiwan and not china, or else i wouln't have been able to bring myself to buy it.
      Attached Files
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Millermatic 175
      Spectrum 375
      All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky
        Luckily for me it's made in taiwan and not china, or else i wouln't have been able to bring myself to buy it.
        Now that is funny.

Comment

I have a Kobalt, from Lowes and it is very well made for the dollar spent. It isn't a Kennedy or a Snap-on, but I didn't spend that much either! If I tear it up I can buy another one and still have spent less than the big name.

My .02 worth!

Comment

Paul,
            Heck, I thought many of the Kennedy's were right there at the same pricing as the others mentioned.
            Haven't checked though. Are the Kennedy/Snap-On/Matco's a heavier gauge sheetmetal or something? Better quality hardware? Having never owned any of the above, I've always wondered (besides paying for the name) why the Snap-Ons/etc are so much higher??? Gotta be something different about them....
            Looks like I'll go w/ Husky or Craftsman...

Comment

Kennedy isn't in the same class as Snap-op or Matco or Mac or Cornwell.
              Kennedy I consider equal with Craftsman. The Snap-on Matco and Cornwell seem to be made out of thicker material but the Mac seemed very thin. Also these boxes also retain there value fairly well. I have a Cornwell 60" wide bottom box and a 42" wide top box that I paid $6000 for, but if you use it every day it sure makes things nice, the more weight you put in the drawers the easier they close. The top 54" wide drawer will hold 450 lbs at full extension which is 24". And the other drawers are rated for 250 lbs each.
              If you really look at the more expensive boxes and compare to the cheaper ones look at how much they weight and you will see a big difference. My bottom box weighs 650 lbs and the top is 350 lbs and this is with no tools in it. And it still rolls very easily with more than 1000 lbs of tools in it.
              Millermatic 251, Miller DialarcHF 250 AC/DC Tig/Stick
              Miller Cutmate 375, Victor O/A rig
              Optrel Satelite Hood
              B2 Beverly Shear
              Metabo 7" grinder

Comment

By far, the most tool chest for the money is imported by Ranger Products. The 42" wide bottom chest + the 42" wide top cabinet cost $850 delivered. All ball bearing slides.

Snap-On quality? NO. Snap-On price? NOOOOO!!!

Best web price (delivered) at Tool Gopher

http://www.toolgopher.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=6763

http://www.toolgopher.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=6764
                Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
                HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
                Clarke Hotshot

Comment

If you look closely, the Craftsman boxes are made by Waterloo. I believe the Traxxas lineup is equivalent to the ball bearing craftsman's. I own two sets of the Magnum boxes, 46" wide version, which is identical to the Craftsmab Professional line (the only difference I see is the lock mechanism and how it flips open). At sears, on the Professional box pamplet it said something like "made by waterloo" in really small letters. They are the same thing. I am very happy with my box, except now I want the 52" long version as my 46" is filled up.

Overall I think the Craftsman boxes (ball bearing versions, not Professional) are very nice for the money. I would wait until a set goes on sale and save hundreds in doing so. They always have a Craftsman club sale going every couple of weeks with boxes marked down. Otherwise, find the equivalent with Waterloo's badge on it and pay less.

As for the SS boxes at Costco and Sam's club, I can't speak for every model out there, but the ones I have seen did not impress me. The method of manufacture did not seem very good in that the top and bottom where built up sections, then attached to the sides. It seems like every display model I have seen looks racked and the drawer fronts hit the sides when closing. They seem like a good deal until compared to a Craftsman, albeit they are SS. Please take no offense if anyone has one, I am very glad it works for you.

As someone else said, look at the weight of the boxes empty, that is usually a good indication of the quality. The drawer slide ratings are also important. My 46" set (Top and Bottom) is approx 850# empty. It is stable and rugged.

I hope this helps a little.
                  Joshua

Comment

I can't believe no one has mentioned Lista. They are EVERY BIT as good Snap-On but cost about 50% more than Kennedy. etc.. I think for equivalent storage area they are actually no more expensive if you get the 20% or so discount which is not that hard to find. I have filled my garage with Lista. I screwed around with crappy boxes and cabinets for years and then got fed up. The straw that did it was an Edsal cabinet from Grainger in which ALL the drawer wheels came gummed up with paint. After that, I stopped wasting money trying to save money and about $2700 dollars got me FOUR Lista cabinets with 400lb rated full-extension drawers. They really can't be beat. Not cheap, but far from overpriced. Also, when you order Lista, you can have any drawer arrangement you want. If you can't a get the discount locally, email me at [email protected] (remove nospam). I got mine thru a guy in PA who I will put you in touch with. All orders get shipped from MA so where you buy really doesn't matter where you order.

Comment

my Dad has Kobalt ball bearing boxes, i have Craftsman w/ball bearing and Kenedy w/slides. while the ball bearings are definatly nicer the slides on the Kenedy aren't all bad either, i simply give them a shot of silicone spray when they need it and it works good for me. i will say that the Kenedy has thicker sheet metal than the Craftsman and it seems to me the Kolbalt is thicker than both of them! if i ever have to buy another tool box i will be looking at the Kolbalt myself. i think Dad payed the same price for his Kolbalt bottom as i did for my Kenedy and he got ball bearing slides and thicker construction.
                      The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

I am not sure what it is but the Kennedy my machinist has is awesome and extremely heavy. Very well made, and solid.

Comment

I have seen the Lista they are good boxes I originaly saw them as small parts storage then I noticed they started putting there storage cabinets on wheel to sell as tool boxes.
                          I would also look at the total number of drawers because fewer drawers means less of a investment in drawer slides and less sheetmetal. And some of the boxes look like a good deal until you look at how deep the toolbox is some are 36", 24", 22"and 18". And on most of the more expensive boxes since the drawers slide so easy they have a latch built into the handle so they wont come open if you rolls the box or its not on level ground.
                          Millermatic 251, Miller DialarcHF 250 AC/DC Tig/Stick
                          Miller Cutmate 375, Victor O/A rig
                          Optrel Satelite Hood
                          B2 Beverly Shear
                          Metabo 7" grinder

Comment

[QUOTE=

As for the SS boxes at Costco and Sam's club, I can't speak for every model out there, but the ones I have seen did not impress me. The method of manufacture did not seem very good in that the top and bottom where built up sections, then attached to the sides. It seems like every display model I have seen looks racked and the drawer fronts hit the sides when closing. They seem like a good deal until compared to a Craftsman, albeit they are SS. Please take no offense if anyone has one, I am very glad it works for you.

As someone else said, look at the weight of the boxes empty, that is usually a good indication of the quality. The drawer slide ratings are also important. My 46" set (Top and Bottom) is approx 850# empty. It is stable and rugged.

I hope this helps a little.
                            Joshua[/QUOTE]

can't argue that the costco boxes aren't as good as the pro stuff, but they are pretty nice and when you factor in price they are great. The box i got wasn't light but i do not know the weight. They are rigid though, i could see no evidence of flex or wracking. You can't see any beams like some others but i never looked (650 bucks top and botton in ss!). You can't go wrong IMHO. I wasn't in the market for a toolbox when i got mine, but before i did i looked at sears. The equivalent size in craftsman is 2000 in painted steel with bb slides. If anybody is interested i can open it up and take some detailed shots, you guys got me wondering how it compares dollars aside. If price is an issue, you can't ignore this box.
                            Dynasty 200 DX
                            Millermatic 175
                            Spectrum 375
                            All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

I bought one of the Costco boxes for $620. and a month latter I bought a almost new one for $300 out of the paper, so for $920. I have two nice boxes. If Snap-on made boxes like these they would sell them for at least $3,000 each.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X