X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• martymar333
    replied
    nice

for the first time.....those are very nice welds, keep up the practice.

marty

Leave a comment:

• Stick rod
    replied
    Bulldog,
    Youve got the basics covered now as those before me said you need to practice,practice,practice.Looks good for the first time keep it up!

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for all the kind words and the good advise! I hope to get some more time to practice and when and if I do I'll post more pics. I can use all the help I can get.
    Thanks again,
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    Bulldog, you are ROCKIN! it seems you have the mechanics of it down, the rest are just details.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Originally posted by tallwelder
    Those possibly could be the nicest looking first time al. welds I've seen! Keep it up! Carl

I agree 100%! Very nice job Bulldog. All that steel TIG is paying off in a way you never imagined.

Leave a comment:

• tallwelder
    replied
    Those possibly could be the nicest looking first time al. welds I've seen! Keep it up! Carl

Leave a comment:

• precisionworks
    replied
    If my first aluminum work had looked that good, I'd have died & gone to Heaven

Nice Job!!!

If you can find someone locally who is really proficient (like a full time aluminum fabricator) the learning curve will be shorter. Pay them what they want for a few hours of one on one, some of the best money you'll ever spend.

Leave a comment:

• Engloid
    replied
    Not bad for the first time.

My advice...
    1) Run enough heat that the width of your puddle doesn't change when you add filler.

2) Let your puddle melt the filler, not your arc.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    My welders are in storage, so it will be a while till I am welding again. In fact I built some stakes for a friend last week and had to go to the Vocational school and use the mig. That was sorta humiliating!

Bulldog remember with aluminum you'll make small gains at a time, it just doesn't happen over night. Quite a few arc hours till you feel confident.

Keep on,

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    Very nice for just starting, practice will help ... I am in the same boat as Paul in that I have been doing steel for the past weeks and I would bet that any aluminum skill I had is vanished.

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    Bulldog,
    Good go for your first try. You show some real promise there. Keep up the practice.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Thanks Paul!
    I was very happy for my 1st Aluminum welds. It's different then steel that's for sure.
    I'll practice and post more pics later.
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Bulldog:
    Pretty good start, you need to roll off a bit slower at the end of the weld and add one more dab before letting off entirely. The consistancy is a bit loose, but that is a practice issue and getting used to how fluid the puddle is. Great start now just practice some more and you'll be up there with Dan and Hawk. I haven't welded any in tig for 3 monthes, your probably up on me right now! I get rusty real fast when I don't weld every week.

Keep it up,

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    started a topic 1st Aluminum welds

1st Aluminum welds

Ok Guys,
    Here they are my very 1st (Tig) Aluminum welds EVER! I was at a surplus store the other day looking for a turntable (no luck) when I spotted some square aluminum tube. I thought that would be good to weld so I bought it - 3 bucks. Anyway I forgot about it until today. So I fired up the Spectrum and started to get ready to weld. I cut a bunch of 4" pieces on the band saw. I know that some where along the way someone said that aluminum needs to be real clean to weld so I got out some Stainless Steel brushes and cleaned up the pieces. (I have no acitone). Anyway I had no clue as what settings to start with. The tube is pretty thin (.048) so I turn the Syncro down to 85 amps. The 1st pick is the 1st weld. Man it was hard to get a puddle to form! Nothin but a black spot... Well I thought about it for a second then BANG it hit me...Aluminum needs to be welded with AC not DC oops. No problem no one was looking . So there ya go. I actually welded Aluminum! Not good not great but I TIG welded Aluminum.
    The 2nd pic is the second weld and so on. The last pic is a comparison between the 1st and last. The pics are in the order of the welds.
    See ya,
    Bulldog

Setup;
    1/16 2%CeriumTungsten
    85-90 amps foot regulated
    1/16" filler on the 1st and 2nd weld
    then 1/8" on the rest.
    .5sec pulse 50% back ground and 85 - 90 peek
    Attached Files
Working...
X