X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tigman47
    • Jan 2006

Chop saw to cut stainless ?

Will it turn the stainless really hard ?
  • Coalsmoke
    • Nov 2006

I've never tried it, but it makes sense doesn't it. Esp. with the lower Fe content in stainless. I would think that a carbide tipped chop saw might be the way to go, although I had someone tell me once that these saws weren't good for stainless (he couldn't provide a reason or explanation why, so I consider it unfounded).
    hre

Comment

• Wayne
      • Sep 2005

I have a customer who cuts stainless shaft with a hot saw and most of the time it is very hard to machine. I have a Evolution chop saw and they offer a carbide tipped blade for stainless.
      Wayne

Comment

• kelly'$mygirl
        • Mar 2006

"Walter" sells stainless steel blades for chop saws. they work pretty good, i would go with a band saw though.

Comment

• Glenn B
          • Apr 2006

Stainless Chop saw Blades

Yes they do make chop saw blades for Stainless. They usually are Zirconia or the Manufactured grains Norzon, Saitech ETC thew also make the carbide type also. The ones for stainless have more teeth than the ones for mild. Evolution makes 3 different blades for their 14" saws one for steel, one for stainless, and one made for aluminum.
          Dynasty 200DX With TEC Superflex 9 & 17 Torches,
          Hypertherm 30A Plasma
          Rincoln SP130T Mig

Comment

• MAC702
            • Sep 2002

Abrasive chop saws? Or carbide chop saws? Both terms seem to be being used here with no clarification on the RPM, as if they might be interchangeable, which in most cases they are not.

Comment

• tigman47
              • Jan 2006

Abrasive is what I ment. Do they tend to cut straight, my bandsaw is walking and I'm tired of waiting around for the cuts.

Comment

• Coalsmoke
                • Nov 2006

depends on the quality of the chop saw. A poor quality chop sw (hot) will vary 1/8" over a 3" cut.
                hre

Comment

• Glenn B
                  • Apr 2006

Chop Saw Blades

I guess I should have Clarified my post Most abrasive 14" chop saws turn 3500 to 3800 rpm. the carbide tipped saws turn around 1100-1500 rpm. You do not want to use a 14" carbide tipped on a Saw made for abrasive blades. many of the carbide blades are only rated to 1800 Max rpm, Put that puppy in a abrasive saw & you may have carbide saw teeth stuck in the walls of your shop. Not a happy feeling them sharp tips flying all over.
                  Dynasty 200DX With TEC Superflex 9 & 17 Torches,
                  Hypertherm 30A Plasma
                  Rincoln SP130T Mig

Comment

Working...
                  X