Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kelly'$mygirl
    replied
    don't worry guys i dicided to take your advice and buy a crate engine. I ordered a 302.

Leave a comment:

• Daved
    replied
    Lets see. Other than being able to said you did it, I don't see any positives to what you propose. I echo the previous comments (except for using a small block ) I vote for a chevy big block, nitrous or better yet a big 6-71 or larger blower and a full floating 9" ford rear so you can change rearend gears easily and both drag race a little and have fun on the street.

Whatever you do, don't hurt the body. That is a real classic.

Leave a comment:

• mccutter
    replied
    Don't Do It!

Sell the diesel engine, use the money to buy yourself a used chevy 350/th350 or 4-speed setup or better yet, a used, 70s Camaro with a bad body but with the above and a rear end and exhaust that might fit (I'm not sure if it will or not but I'm sure it could be adapted easy enough). Plus you'd get a driveshaft and shifter and other stuff you might need. To adapt a diesel you'd need to modify the fuel tank, fuel lines, filter/water seperator, wiring, etc.--the list is extensive. Plus if it is a Ford (International) 6.9/7.4 liter diesel it is easily twice as heavy as a Chevy small-block not to mention the transmission (stick or auto) is a monster, as well. The oil pan and firewall will probably have to be modified. Not to discourage you, but talking from experience, you'll end up loosing interest because of the complexity of the project vs if you drop in something that is a "bolt-in". You'll see progress on a regular basis and maybe even finish it so you can drive it! If you had your heart set on a diesel, I'd adapt an Olds 350 diesel if you can find one. Use the motor mounts from a later-model Trans-Am that had the Olds 403. It's going to be tough finding the diesel 350 because most have been converted back to gasoline or are in the boneyard. Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• arcdawg
    replied
    if its a true z/28 (which I doubt) you would be very foolish to do anything that dumb with it.....unless your planning on doing a perfect resto on it sell it to someone that will....

The desiel engine weighs tooo much for a subframed car let along one that is over 30 years old.....meaning that it wont work -

once again we must remember that there are thousands of z/28 clones outthere and only a handfull of real dz302-z28 camaros left on earth and they need to be cherrised not hacked apart

Leave a comment:

• Leons2003
    replied
    The infamous 350 diesel is pretty much junk, nasty and expensive. With the crate motors now days its hard to beat the price vs rebuild, for a driver. I've seen some weird transplants before, Ford in a '51 Chevy for instance, but that's what might float your boat. I recently sold an LS1 w/trans for $5k so the engines are out there and better than a boat anchor. I'm thinkin 572cid, LOL. Just my 2ยข
    Good luck
    L*S

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    to all of the rest of you

sorry i didnt notice what the car was i'm on your side it needs a home where it will be loved and cared for.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    they all have good points, it realy has the potential to be great.that being said its your toy to do with as ya please. selling it could get ya some nice toys for the shop and another car to putter with, or maybee a nice older truck you could drop the F350 ingen and trany into.that would be a better fit and end up being a real nice truck that will get ya the thumbs up at a light insted of a frown and shaking heads. i have to admit befor makeing my first post i didnt realy pay atention to what the car was, i would fix it right or sell it, unforchanetly with my $$$ flow i would have to sell it to some one that would love and care for it. with any luck i might even get visitation rights.

Leave a comment:

• Rai
    replied
    Would you be interested in selling the car? I have a 68 and have been looking for another 1st generation camaro.

Leave a comment:

• Laiky
    replied
    I am not a violent man, but the mear thought makes me want to find you, hurt you, and take your camaro to a loving home (mine!).

If you want to do something cool with it swap in an LS motor. Or better yet, if it is an actual Z-28, sell it to someone who will restore it. As my favorite car of all time, and my own personal "Elenor", i am begging you, don't ruin it.

Leave a comment:

• markl
    replied
    Maybe this will change your mind about butchering such a classic:
    http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/145893300.html or this one that needs restored:http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/144803999.html Maybe this will give you an idea of what you have. Somebody please smack him before he has any other evil thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• farmboy weldor
    replied
    i dont think it would be possible, not just the length of the motor but diesels get their displacement through stroke not bore, making them very tall, and if you did make an engine fit it would have to have a hood as high as the cab making it hard to see

plus they weigh a ton, but maybe being a v8 diesel it might work, but still they are very large motors and very heavy

if you can it would be awesome

Leave a comment:

• FoxPerformance
    replied
    I would do it!, I've seen enough iterations of chevy camaro's over the years to make you wanna throw up.

Do something crazy and out of the ordinary, look how many "collector car's" jesse james has ruined. Good for the rest of the owners it only increases the value of their pristine car that they worship in their garage and maybe drive every other sunday.

My personal favorite was when he destroyed that Anglia dragster when the build failed. It's just old junk, there's better junk being made everyday to take it's place in another 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    i got a 51 GMC 3/4 you can put the engen in if ya want something to do.

Leave a comment:

• Buzzurd
    replied
    I know alot of people willing to give mucho denero for what you have.PLEASE don't butcher that classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• tigman250
    replied
    Originally posted by frank865
    You COULD do it But WHY!!!! This Would be a waste of a classic car & a good engine. It will also consume massive amounts of time & money to produce a vehicle that will get you laughed at...DON'T DO IT!!!!!!
    yep my opinion is you would ruin 2 things....the car is a muscle car and the engine is a workhorse, both are awesome at what they are intended for but mix the 2 and you will ruin both of them. and yes if i saw someone driving a diesel 69 camaro at cruize night i would laugh my backside off!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X