Camaro+350 Deisel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro+350 Deisel

I was wondering, i don't know much about cars but the other day i scored a 69 Z-28 Camaro the whole thing is in good shape exept there is no rear end or motor. The thing is i have a old F-350 Deisel motor laying in my buddys shop, could i put this motor in this car? Is it a bad idea. I won't be doing much driving with it, i mostley just want to tinker with this car and motor.

you can put almost anything in anything if you are willing to do the work. you will need to make all new engen mounts and possibly get a drive shaft cut to fit but it can be done. you may need to move a few things around like the steering box or power steering unit. best thing to do would be put the motor and trany on a cherry picker and lower it in and see what has to be alterd to give it the room it needs and get an ideal on what type of mountswill be needed. the good thing is there are lots of engen mount pads available at local parts stors as well as universal trany suports. mostly due to guys putting all kinds of 350's into older stuff for so long. oops you said a f-350 motor not a 350. still think the best thing to do would be drop it in and see what it looks like. heck ive seen old camarow's turned into 4X4's so it can be done, again just depends on how much time you want to spend. would be easyer to go to a junk yard and pick up something a lil closer suited but its up to you if ya got the time go for it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by kelly'$mygirl
      I was wondering, i don't know much about cars but the other day i scored a 69 Z-28 Camaro the whole thing is in good shape exept there is no rear end or motor. The thing is i have a old F-350 Deisel motor laying in my buddys shop, could i put this motor in this car? Is it a bad idea. I won't be doing much driving with it, i mostley just want to tinker with this car and motor.
      That is some pretty valuable sheet metal to be chopping into a diesel car. You might want to check the value (both as is and as a running car) before you do anything drastic. A '69 Camaro body is worth some money these days, and a Z28 even more so.

That part aside, 2 other thoughts come to mind. One is that the diesels weigh much more than gas motors, enough so that you could have a nose-heavy, bad-handling pig. Also, some of the older diesel engines Detroit put into pickups were pretty sad engines.

JD

Comment

Why would you ruin a classic like that? That car needs a Chevy 302. Do you have any idea what its worth?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...26720129QQrdZ1

Comment

Originally posted by kelly'$mygirl
          You COULD do it But WHY!!!! This Would be a waste of a classic car & a good engine. It will also consume massive amounts of time & money to produce a vehicle that will get you laughed at...DON'T DO IT!!!!!!
          Syncrowave 180 SD
          MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
          1971 Roughneck 1e
          Stars-n-Stripes BWE
          Optrel Satellite OSE
          ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
          Lincoln 200SA Diesel
          O/A Set
          Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
          1.5 kVA Spot Welder
          Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
          My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

Originally posted by frank865
            You COULD do it But WHY!!!! This Would be a waste of a classic car & a good engine. It will also consume massive amounts of time & money to produce a vehicle that will get you laughed at...DON'T DO IT!!!!!!
            yep my opinion is you would ruin 2 things....the car is a muscle car and the engine is a workhorse, both are awesome at what they are intended for but mix the 2 and you will ruin both of them. and yes if i saw someone driving a diesel 69 camaro at cruize night i would laugh my backside off!
            The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

I know alot of people willing to give mucho denero for what you have.PLEASE don't butcher that classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i got a 51 GMC 3/4 you can put the engen in if ya want something to do.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

I would do it!, I've seen enough iterations of chevy camaro's over the years to make you wanna throw up.

Do something crazy and out of the ordinary, look how many "collector car's" jesse james has ruined. Good for the rest of the owners it only increases the value of their pristine car that they worship in their garage and maybe drive every other sunday.

My personal favorite was when he destroyed that Anglia dragster when the build failed. It's just old junk, there's better junk being made everyday to take it's place in another 20 years.
                  Ben Fox
                  www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com

Miller Dynasty 300 SD
                  Millermatic 130
                  MillerMatic 252
                  Jet Lathe
                  Jet Mill
                  Rottler SG7 seat and guide machine

Comment

i dont think it would be possible, not just the length of the motor but diesels get their displacement through stroke not bore, making them very tall, and if you did make an engine fit it would have to have a hood as high as the cab making it hard to see

plus they weigh a ton, but maybe being a v8 diesel it might work, but still they are very large motors and very heavy

if you can it would be awesome

Comment

Maybe this will change your mind about butchering such a classic:
                      http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/145893300.html or this one that needs restored:http://www.craigslist.org/eby/car/144803999.html Maybe this will give you an idea of what you have. Somebody please smack him before he has any other evil thoughts.

Comment

I am not a violent man, but the mear thought makes me want to find you, hurt you, and take your camaro to a loving home (mine!).

If you want to do something cool with it swap in an LS motor. Or better yet, if it is an actual Z-28, sell it to someone who will restore it. As my favorite car of all time, and my own personal "Elenor", i am begging you, don't ruin it.
                        Dynasty 200 DX
                        Millermatic 175
                        Spectrum 375
                        All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Would you be interested in selling the car? I have a 68 and have been looking for another 1st generation camaro.
                          Dynasty 200 DX

Comment

they all have good points, it realy has the potential to be great.that being said its your toy to do with as ya please. selling it could get ya some nice toys for the shop and another car to putter with, or maybee a nice older truck you could drop the F350 ingen and trany into.that would be a better fit and end up being a real nice truck that will get ya the thumbs up at a light insted of a frown and shaking heads. i have to admit befor makeing my first post i didnt realy pay atention to what the car was, i would fix it right or sell it, unforchanetly with my $$$ flow i would have to sell it to some one that would love and care for it. with any luck i might even get visitation rights.
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

to all of the rest of you

sorry i didnt notice what the car was i'm on your side it needs a home where it will be loved and cared for.
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              JAMES

Comment

Working...
                              X