Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHICH IS BETTER~FOR CAR REPAIRS: MIG or TIG

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WHICH IS BETTER~FOR CAR REPAIRS: MIG or TIG

    Hi Everyone

    I'm new to this GREAT SITE.
    About me: I use to do Elec.Welding and some Tig. But never did MIG weld. And all this was some yrs. ago, more than I care to remember

    Here's my situation:

    Doing repairs/reconstruction,etc.etc. on my 1966 Mustang Convert.
    Need to replace rusty parts on the car.

    WHAT'S YOUR OPINION PLEASE

    I believe I need a Mig welder (what's your suggestions)
    My limit is about $400.00 (your suggestions)
    I believe the need a control feeder on the machine ( your suggestions)
    The control feeder will HELP me to control the bead (GOD WILLING )

    So Gentlemen, I wait for you expertees.
    O.K. Gentlemen I'm in your hands.

    THANK YOU
    GOD BLESS YOU ALL

    Schooner
    Schooner

  • #2
    Hello,
    I agree you would be better off with a Mig welder than a tig. Faster, easier, and will warp those panels less. You may want to save your money a little longer. Hobart offers a Handler 140 which is a nice little model at a fair entry level price. I am not sure what you are refering to when you say control feeder. All Mig welders have a voltage control and a wire feed speed control.
    Gary

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SCHOONER
      Hi Everyone

      I'm new to this GREAT SITE.
      About me: I use to do Elec.Welding and some Tig. But never did MIG weld. And all this was some yrs. ago, more than I care to remember

      Here's my situation:

      Doing repairs/reconstruction,etc.etc. on my 1966 Mustang Convert.
      Need to replace rusty parts on the car.

      WHAT'S YOUR OPINION PLEASE

      I believe I need a Mig welder (what's your suggestions)
      My limit is about $400.00 (your suggestions)
      I believe the need a control feeder on the machine ( your suggestions)
      The control feeder will HELP me to control the bead (GOD WILLING )

      So Gentlemen, I wait for you expertees.
      O.K. Gentlemen I'm in your hands.

      THANK YOU
      GOD BLESS YOU ALL

      Schooner

      Control feeder???? Not sure what you mean...
      I think this would work good for you...http://www.toolking.com/productinfo....roductid=17860
      Syncrowave 180 SD
      MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
      1971 Roughneck 1e
      Stars-n-Stripes BWE
      Optrel Satellite OSE
      ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
      Lincoln 200SA Diesel
      O/A Set
      Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
      1.5 kVA Spot Welder
      Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

      Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
      My own shop since 1981

      Cya Frank

      Comment


      • #4
        yep another fella just got his from them. in that $$$ range thats about the best your going to get without spending a lot of time and agrivation tryimng to maybee win a bid on e-bay.
        short version= i agree with frank865 how agrees with Gary and knows where to find a deal.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

        Comment


        • #5
          Personally, I wasn t that impressed with the overall solid wire performance of the HH135. It was an OK light ga sheet metal unit. Still though, it was no were near as good as my MM 210 is on thin automotive sheet metal. Personally, I'd increase my budget a little, and go with the HH 140, which replaced the HH 135. Here's one thing to consider, if the HH 135 was a great light ga sheetmetal unit, why would the Hobart engineers make there main focus in the design of the HH 140, be improving the quality of the low end performance on there 120V unit offering.

          Comment


          • #6
            there isno dought you can do better but in his budjet thats about as good as it gets.
            i went for the mm135 and wile the debate on the WST continues i have found the unit's performance to be exceptional on bolth thin and thick, however its not in his budjet. i think we would all rather have the MM210 but it is out of our budjet and unforchenetly not an option.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by fun4now
              there isno dought you can do better but in his budjet thats about as good as it gets.
              i went for the mm135 and wile the debate on the WST continues i have found the unit's performance to be exceptional on bolth thin and thick, however its not in his budjet. i think we would all rather have the MM210 but it is out of our budjet and unforchenetly not an option.
              James, I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't suggesting the 210. I was suggesting increasing the budget a maximum of another $100, and going with the improved HH 140, over a discontinued and refurbished HH 135.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Gary
                Hello,
                I agree you would be better off with a Mig welder than a tig. Faster, easier, and will warp those panels less. You may want to save your money a little longer. Hobart offers a Handler 140 which is a nice little model at a fair entry level price. I am not sure what you are refering to when you say control feeder. All Mig welders have a voltage control and a wire feed speed control.
                Gary

                Hi Gary

                What I meant about the wire feed. I looked at a few welding mach. and some of the lower prices mach. had NO control wire feeder. I know that there's a voltage control on all welders.
                But on the more expensive welders, there's any other knob control the speed coming off the reel.

                Gary, thanks for you imput. I appreciate it
                I'm going to looook into that welder you suggested: HOBART 140

                THANKS AGAIN GARY
                GOD bless you and your family

                Schooner
                Schooner

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thank You Frank865

                  Originally posted by frank865
                  Control feeder???? Not sure what you mean...
                  I think this would work good for you...http://www.toolking.com/productinfo....roductid=17860
                  Hey Frank

                  Nice choice for me it looks good. Now about that wire feeder deal. From what little I know about Mig Welders. There's a feed coming out the mach. of course.

                  QUESTION(S) Does the wire come out Fast/Slow I think it would come out into the handle/stinger at a certain speed (of which I don't know)
                  However, I've seen Mig Welders with another dial that CONTROLS the wire coming off the reel.

                  So, newies like me can gets better control till he/me gets better and better laying - down a good solid bead

                  That's what I meant about the wire feed.

                  THANKS FRANK for that GREAT SITE: WWW.TOOLKING.COM
                  I'm going into my piggy bank and see how much i got. If I don't have enough I get up earliar than my wife and go into her purse . . . lol

                  I sure like that HOBART. But what's with the: FACTORY RECONDITIONED "B"
                  was it brought back to the factory 'cause something was WRONG with it

                  Hey, if HOBART GAURENTEES THEIR STUFF, WHAT DO I CARE. It seems to be a dorn good $ $ $

                  Thanks again Frank
                  GOD bless you and your family

                  Schooner
                  Schooner

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Schooner,

                    I was involved in the field testing of the HH140 and did own a HH135 at the same time. You really want to get the HH140 as Dan & others suggested, while the upper end of the HH140 isn't much better than the HH135 the lower end is improved enough to make the extra few dollars worthwhile IMHO. As far as reconditioned machines, while they can be a great bargin I prefer to be the first user on most stuff and the Hobart warrenty will protect you for three years while the warrenty on a reconditioned machine is one year I think. Remember you get what you pay for most of the time, when you do make the jump there will be lots of help here and over at Weld Talk on the Hobart site www.hobartwelders.com if you want to have a look over there. Whatever your chioce ends up being, have fun and be safe.
                    Regards, George

                    Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

                    Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Dan

                      ya i know, but i still want a MM210.

                      SCHOONER
                      the 3 year warentee is nice but odds are if its guna tank out on ya it will likely happen prity quickly. if another $100 will get you into a new HH140 then i would save up the extra $100 and go for it, even if it makes ya wait a lil longer thats what i did just waited a bit longer saving my pennies till i could get into the MM135 and will the wait was killing me in the end when it showed up it was well werth it and i have no regrets.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]art.com
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SCHOONER
                        Hey Frank

                        Nice choice for me it looks good. Now about that wire feeder deal. From what little I know about Mig Welders. There's a feed coming out the mach. of course.

                        QUESTION(S) Does the wire come out Fast/Slow I think it would come out into the handle/stinger at a certain speed (of which I don't know)
                        However, I've seen Mig Welders with another dial that CONTROLS the wire coming off the reel.

                        So, newies like me can gets better control till he/me gets better and better laying - down a good solid bead

                        That's what I meant about the wire feed.

                        THANKS FRANK for that GREAT SITE: WWW.TOOLKING.COM
                        I'm going into my piggy bank and see how much i got. If I don't have enough I get up earliar than my wife and go into her purse . . . lol

                        I sure like that HOBART. But what's with the: FACTORY RECONDITIONED "B"
                        was it brought back to the factory 'cause something was WRONG with it

                        Hey, if HOBART GAURENTEES THEIR STUFF, WHAT DO I CARE. It seems to be a dorn good $ $ $

                        Thanks again Frank
                        GOD bless you and your family

                        Schooner
                        Schooner,

                        I didn't see where your wire feed question got an answer, so here's some info.

                        All the Hobart line (except the 125EZ) of MIG welders have a wire feed speed control. Essentially, adjusting the wire speed adjusts the amperage - the faster the wire runs into the work, the more current it needs to burn off!

                        The idea is to adjust the wire speed until the sound of the arc resembles thae sound of bacon frying in a pan. That nice, steady "sizzle" is what you want to hear! So, you set up a practice piece of the same thickness as your work, run a test bead, adjust the wire speed as needed, run another test bead, etc., until you get the "sound". Then, you're good to go!

                        Once you figure it out, it's a snap. You'll never forget that sound once you hear it!

                        Hank
                        ...from the Gadget Garage
                        Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                        Handler 210 w/DP3035
                        TA185TSW
                        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SCHOONER
                          ..What I meant about the wire feed. I looked at a few welding mach. and some of the lower prices mach. had NO control wire feeder. I know that there's a voltage control on all welders...
                          I still wanna know what a, "control wire feeder" is....
                          Ron

                          ShopFloorTalk

                          Millermatic 350P, Roughneck 4012 and Ironmate guns
                          Dynasty 300DX, Coolmate 3, Crafter CS-310 Torch
                          Trailblazer 302, 12RC, WC-24
                          30A spoolgun
                          Spectrum 2050

                          Thermal Arc Plasma Welder PS-3000/WC-100B

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hi Gary

                            Originally posted by Gary
                            Hello,
                            I agree you would be better off with a Mig welder than a tig. Faster, easier, and will warp those panels less. You may want to save your money a little longer. Hobart offers a Handler 140 which is a nice little model at a fair entry level price. I am not sure what you are refering to when you say control feeder. All Mig welders have a voltage control and a wire feed speed control.
                            Gary
                            Gary Thanks for your imput

                            What I meant about the control feeder is there a dial that controls the speed of the wire ?

                            I guess from you reply IT'S THE VOLTAGE DIAL TRUE/FALSE
                            I'm still learning Gary, Thanks to guys like you bringing my to school.

                            GOD BLESS
                            Schooner
                            Schooner

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thank You Sundower ~ George

                              Originally posted by Sundown
                              Schooner,

                              I was involved in the field testing of the HH140 and did own a HH135 at the same time. You really want to get the HH140 as Dan & others suggested, while the upper end of the HH140 isn't much better than the HH135 the lower end is improved enough to make the extra few dollars worthwhile IMHO. As far as reconditioned machines, while they can be a great bargin I prefer to be the first user on most stuff and the Hobart warrenty will protect you for three years while the warrenty on a reconditioned machine is one year I think. Remember you get what you pay for most of the time, when you do make the jump there will be lots of help here and over at Weld Talk on the Hobart site www.hobartwelders.com if you want to have a look over there. Whatever your chioce ends up being, have fun and be safe.
                              George, I need ALL THE HELP I can get about which welder will be just right for my application. Thanks to guys like you I'm taking it ALL IN. And then I'll make my decision.

                              That Hobart 140 you guys are talking about for my application is loooooking
                              better and better all the time.

                              THANK AGAIN GEORGE
                              GOD BLESS

                              Schooner
                              Schooner

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X