Ews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ews?

Anybody know what EWS is? I know DOM and ERW, but saw something that said the roll cage was 1 5/8" .134 EWS. Just wondering how it compared to 1 3/4" .120 DOM.
    -SPiNNeR-

Hobart 135
    Oxy-Acet w/ Victor torch
    Dynasty 200 DX

howdy neighbor. don't have a clue what ews is but just wanted to say hi
    miller 225 bobcat
    miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
    mm175, mm211, TA181i
    mm252 w/30a spool gun
    precision tig 225
    hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
    Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
    hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
    victor journeyman & super range
    ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
    steel max and evolution carbide saws
    6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
    case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
    if first you don't succeed
    trash the b#####d

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealSpinner
      Anybody know what EWS is? I know DOM and ERW, but saw something that said the roll cage was 1 5/8" .134 EWS. Just wondering how it compared to 1 3/4" .120 DOM.
      Well, Spinner, I had no idea either. So, I looked at the Steel Tube Institute of North America web site, and it makes no mention of "EWS" tubing. ERW, DOM, and seamless, which you already knew.

Next step: searched for roll cages. Found S&W Racecars, who advertise a 10-point roll cage with the material specification you mentioned. So, I called them! Talked to a nice guy with a heavy new England accent who informed me that all their roll cages were made from "electrically welded seam" tubing. "You mean ERW?", I asked. "I dunno", he said! So, I think we know what we know, and S&W Racecars don't know what we know!

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
      Handler 210 w/DP3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Well Hank, let me get persnickety, EWS doesn't have to be ERW, EWS tube, would be tube that isn't GWS (gas welded seam) nor resistance welded. So a hunka tube run through a mechanized GTAW, GMAW, PAW welder is EWS, but not ERW. Or they got a buncha doods at the slip rolls, and another buncha doods burnin' rod, or wire by hand, you know as penance for debauchery

Comment

well that was prity confusing. maybee some one should check with a few racing sactioning boddies and get a how/how/what ota this after all wouldnt they be the final say so?

jbmprods howdy neighbor. don't have a clue what ews is but just wanted to say hi
          TheRealSpinner
          ya beter watch out, now ya got that dyn200 listed fooks guna wana stop by ta play.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by PUMPKINHEAD
            Well Hank, let me get persnickety, EWS doesn't have to be ERW, EWS tube, would be tube that isn't GWS (gas welded seam) nor resistance welded. So a hunka tube run through a mechanized GTAW, GMAW, PAW welder is EWS, but not ERW. Or they got a buncha doods at the slip rolls, and another buncha doods burnin' rod, or wire by hand, you know as penance for debauchery
            Well, there, persnikety one, how is it that I can't find any tubing manufaturer's on this world-wide web who manufacture welded steel tubing by any processes other than induction or resistance welding? I would have expected that the Steel Tube Institute of North America would have some information about this here EWS stuff if it's real, but they don't. Seems like GTAW/GMAW wouldn't be fast enough anyway. PAW maybe, and SAW probably, but the only thing I know of made with SAW are HSS's.

It would be interesting to find some info on the EWS stuff if you know a link. My thist for knowledge cannot be quenched! Even by vodka!

Hank
            Handler 210 w/DP3035
            TA185TSW

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
              well that was prity confusing. maybee some one should check with a few racing sactioning boddies and get a how/how/what ota this after all wouldnt they be the final say so?

jbmprods howdy neighbor. don't have a clue what ews is but just wanted to say hi
              TheRealSpinner
              ya beter watch out, now ya got that dyn200 listed fooks guna wana stop by ta play.
              first off james i simply said hi to spinner because he is the only person on this board other than myself from chico, ca.
              2nd if i was that interested in tig i would be running the unit i have hooked up to one of my miller engine drives for portable work. its sitting there with a brand new full 180 cf bottle of argon. all i have to do is light it off and rock and roll. but so far i haven't found the time to light it off. come to think of it i don't even know how to light it off . i don't tig but its on my list of things to do when i get older. oh wait i am already old so that excuse sucks
              miller 225 bobcat
              miller aead200le (with miller hf tig trailer mounted)
              mm175, mm211, TA181i
              mm252 w/30a spool gun
              precision tig 225
              hobart stickmate LX ac/dc
              Speedglas 9100X & XX / Miller Digital Elite
              hypertherm 380 & cutmaster 52
              victor journeyman & super range
              ridgid chop saw, kalamazoo band saw
              steel max and evolution carbide saws
              6 4.5" & a 20lb 9" rockwell grinders
              case 580 backhoe (for what i can"t lift)
              if first you don't succeed
              trash the b#####d

Comment

Originally posted by jbmprods
                first off james i simply said hi to spinner because he is the only person on this board other than myself from chico, ca.
                2nd if i was that interested in tig i would be running the unit i have hooked up to one of my miller engine drives for portable work. its sitting there with a brand new full 180 cf bottle of argon. all i have to do is light it off and rock and roll. but so far i haven't found the time to light it off. come to think of it i don't even know how to light it off . i don't tig but its on my list of things to do when i get older. oh wait i am already old so that excuse sucks
                Jim,

What ever you do, don't start to tig. It's like watching the lord of the rings and wondering, how did they do that? I am in the process of building a cart for the Spectrum 375 cutter, and I decided that I would only build from materials laying on the side of my house, and I would tig everything ... well you don't want to know how many times I wanted to fire up the MM210 during this build, but so far I have resisted Funny thing is that one of the local kids dropped his old dirt bike and came to see if I could weld the clutch cover. It looked to be some sort of 3000 series cast aluminum, soaked in dirt and grease for the last 30 years. After I got it cleaned up I tried to tig it with some 4043 filler, wow what a mess that was. So I used the 3035 spoolgun off the MM210 and problem fixed, but I still intend to complete the cart with the tig anyway. Oh yeah, I don't what EWS tubing is either
                Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

jbmprods

didnt mean to ofend, it was a just a joke. sorry if ya took itthe rong way. it was ment to be pointed to how nice the dyn's were not that you would only say high just to use his stuff.

Sundown
                  thats an interesting take on TIG welding. i cant wait to be frustrated by it
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

Yeah, James. You wait! I'm almost ready to send a bribe and a plane ticket to Engloid! I just can't get the time I need to sit down 'n git 'er done! 20 minutes here and there ain't gonna get it!

Hank
                    Handler 210 w/DP3035
                    TA185TSW

Comment

The terms DOM and ERW have become popular in the last few years because of the number of people welding tubing on their vehicles with 120v migs. What your average hobby/garage guy buys as dom was erw before it became dom. Don't tell them that tho, some of them get really defensive
                      True seamless pierced mechanical tube can be pretty expensive.

JTMcC.
                      Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Been waitin' fer ya, JTMcC. What about this EWS thing? I figure if it's real you'll know something abut it? I can buy into Pumpkinheah's theory that it could be welded by some method other than inductance or resistance (both of which are called "ERW" according to the manufacturer's sites I looked at) but I don't see how you could produce a lot of it with GTAW. Maybe GMAW or plasma, but you'd think it would be all over the place if a company is advertising roll cages made from EWS? I can't find a supplier of it anywhere......

Hank
                        Handler 210 w/DP3035
                        TA185TSW

Comment

Originally posted by hankj
                          Been waitin' fer ya, JTMcC. What about this EWS thing? I figure if it's real you'll know something abut it? I can buy into Pumpkinheah's theory that it could be welded by some method other than inductance or resistance (both of which are called "ERW" according to the manufacturer's sites I looked at) but I don't see how you could produce a lot of it with GTAW. Maybe GMAW or plasma, but you'd think it would be all over the place if a company is advertising roll cages made from EWS? I can't find a supplier of it anywhere......

Hank
                          Maybe it was a typo
                          Regards, George

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
                            Sundown
                            thats an interesting take on TIG welding. i cant wait to be frustrated by it
                            You will really like it I think, the truth be told a good percent of the everything I do these days is Tig welded.
                            Regards, George

Comment

Originally posted by hankj
                              Yeah, James. You wait! I'm almost ready to send a bribe and a plane ticket to Engloid! I just can't get the time I need to sit down 'n git 'er done! 20 minutes here and there ain't gonna get it!

Hank
                              Just keep pluggin away at it and I think you will win that battle.
                              Regards, George

Comment

Working...
                              X