Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hankj
    replied
    C'mon, you guys! It's a piece 'o cake to cut wide stuff on my Jet 5 x 6. I've cut a lot of .125 x 8" flat stock on edge. You need to nurse the cut, I agree, but it works! Cut down, using your hand to hold most of the bow weight, until the bow hits the top of the stock. Flip the stock over, and line up the blade so it will fall in the same kerf. Whack the rest.

If your saw is set up square, it's all good!

Hank

Leave a comment:

• tigman250
    replied
    Originally posted by tigman47
    Yeah but I need it striaght.
    if it's 6-8 inches wide 11ga and you stand it up to cut it in the saw i can almost guarantee it won't be straight....depending of course on blade condition and saw setup, if you take your time you can get really straight cuts with a cutoff disc.

good luck!

Leave a comment:

• drscotch
    replied
    Plasma cutter and a straight edge?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Have it sheared by a metal shop with a large shear, the only way for a straight cut, Believe me!

Leave a comment:

• tigman47
    replied
    Yeah but I need it striaght.

Leave a comment:

• ctardi
    replied
    Sounds like a job for a zip disc. Got an angle grinder?

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    Originally posted by tigman47
    About 11 gauge, about 6-8 inches wide
    I do stuff like that all the time. The rule is three teeth in contact with the work, but on 1/8" that's kinda hard. If you have something to back it with, fine. If not, don't let the whole weight of the bow rest on the work - put a little up-lift pressure on it with your hand and lower the blade into the work easy like.

Once you've cut as deep as you can, flip 'er over and repeat!

Hank

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    I have cut 11 gauge in my band saw but it can get UGLY fast! If ya do it make sure that ya have a fine tooth blade in the saw. If you can put a thicker piece of steel along side of the 11 gauge and cut it at the same time. So if ya need to cut an 8" wide piece of 11 gauge put a piece of something the same width but thicker with it to help support it.(Put the thin piece in front of the thick piece).
    Good luck,
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

• tigman47
    replied
    About 11 gauge, about 6-8 inches wide

Leave a comment:

• pgk
    replied
    How thick and wide is it? I believe for a bandsaw there is a set amount of teeth that should be in contact with the metal at all times. Not sure of how many though, I think it is a min. and max. amount. Maybe you could lay it on a angle and clamp it down.. Iv'e cut sheet upright and just went real slow and seemed to work ok.

Leave a comment:

• wb5jhy
    replied
    How thick is it?

Leave a comment:

• tigman47
    started a topic Long piece of sheet metal, cutting question

Long piece of sheet metal, cutting question

I have a long piece of metal that if I lay flat will not fit in my bandsaw, would it be really bad to turn the piece on its side and cut ?
Working...
X