Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig 4130

http://www.desertrides.com/features/...s/DSC01778.php

The above pic is of 0.120 wall 4130. The shop seems to have the skill and equipment to get really good fit up. Could some one explain the double pass. Why would you want to do this? Isn't more heat bad? Always trying to learn.

That's a single pass. It's a wide weave. It is unnecessary and mainly that style is reserved for large pipe cap passes and what not. I only do that when I have some kind of small gap to fill or if I'm working on larger thickness material. I'm definately not a fan of what they're doing there and think that's not the ideal way to weld a tube joint. Maybe their fit isn't quite as good as you think.

However, I'd also add that I definitely don't think they're creating a "weak" joint.

Comment

thanks bill. I can see now that it's clearly one pass. As for the fit up, this pic looks pretty good:
      http://www.desertrides.com/features/...s/DSC01786.php

This is for a desert truck. While I have a good understanding of 4130 properies, aside from the increased heat input, could the wider bead help fight fatigue? Still seems odd to me.

Comment

I can see a large gap on that lower vert fit, thats where walking the weld back and forth will reduce the heat necc to fill the gap.

http://www.desertrides.com/features/...s/DSC01786.php
        Pliers
        Screwdriver
        Hammer

Comment

Looks like each "dab" is conventional but they are zig-zagging
          them, never seen it before.
          Maybe it's an effort to spread the stress concentrations
          over a wider area.
          Somebody send em an e-mail and ask, they must have a reason.
          This might be a good topic for Andy to jump in on.
          Dave P.

Comment

appearance aside look at tight to the weld the haz is. that is a good example of wire contol i think. It probaly wouldnt pass a die test, but, with the wider pass he seems to be getting enough fusion with the surface of the material. I think its easier to dab hard, hot and fast myself, seems to work for me.
            Trailblazer 302g
            coolmate4
            hf-251d-1
            super s-32p
            you can never know enough

Comment

I have seen this Truggy in action and let me tell you, it takes a beating on those desert corses. So far its held together.

Comment

dyn88,
                that's about what I was thinking as far as the HAZ and diffusing stress over a larger area.

SS is difinately right, what ever they are doing is working because these things see take a beating like you've never seen.

I'm going drop these guys an email because it's peaked my curiosity.

Comment

it looks cold to me....(as in not really washed in) and I noticed a lot of little *divits* that after running through the desert at 90mphs would cause a falure.....

just me ?

dawg

Comment

I went to the site and looked at the rest of the photos, that
                    is one solid looking machine. Of course it has to be to
                    survive the pounding it takes. Noticed that even the locking
                    nuts on the rod ends were tacked in position.
                    Anybody know what it weighs?
                    Dave P.

Comment

I also looked at all of the pics. Looks like a well equiped shop, but I couldn't help notice that I only saw one manual tube bender and an awful load af bent tube in those truggies.

Comment

Originally posted by arcdawg
                        it looks cold to me....(as in not really washed in) and I noticed a lot of little *divits* that after running through the desert at 90mphs would cause a falure.....

just me ?

dawg

I agree there's definately some cold lap going on. However given the sheer amount of weld metal that's been deposited there it's totally overkill. I think it's strong enough but excessive in the filler and time department.

Guys I'll post some pics of my welds come next week I hope after I get a nice camera from a buddy. I've got lots of tube joints done and some on 4130. We can compare.

Comment

This pic has been posted before....... I ran 70 amps.....2% thor broke at 5800psi..............btw this was done a couple of years back
                          Attached Files

Comment

the gooood side (lol)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Those welds are tripple pass welds that are very common on off road trucks. A bit overkill but none the less, the overweld makes sure the joint is covered good as these truck take a severe pounding and some single pass welds if not done just right will crack up. The tree passes are usually not done all at the same time but done after the entire truck is welded up first. The HAZ is not excessive here and acceptable for this thicker tubing. If this was 49 or 65 wall tube, it would be a bad thing to 3 pass it.

A

Comment

Working...
                              X