MM210 Wiring quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM210 Wiring quick question

Hi All, going to run the circuit for the new MM210 tonight. 30Amp Dual pole Breaker, 15 foot run of 10 AWG wire. Anyway, my question is that I have read a couple of posts where guys are running 10-3 wire. Seems like my plug that came factory installed with the welder would be for a 10-2 configuration HOT/HOT/Ground??

Anyway just wanted to double check...are people running 10-3 so maybe they can pull 110 off the circuit later or does it require 10-3 for a basic MM210 circuit?

Thanks!!

Chris

Originally posted by freebird
    Hi All, going to run the circuit for the new MM210 tonight. 30Amp Dual pole Breaker, 15 foot run of 10 AWG wire. Anyway, my question is that I have read a couple of posts where guys are running 10-3 wire. Seems like my plug that came factory installed with the welder would be for a 10-2 configuration HOT/HOT/Ground??

Anyway just wanted to double check...are people running 10-3 so maybe they can pull 110 off the circuit later or does it require 10-3 for a basic MM210 circuit?

Thanks!!

Chris
    I'm kinda hesitant to respond to another wiring question...So let me say up-front, I'm not an electrician & I'm not trying to be an electrical engineer!
    I think some of the newer wiring codes require a separate neutral & ground for 220V circuits & that would require 10-3. What I wanted to address was, I think 10AWG is only supposed to carry 30amps & seems like the MM210 needs more than that?
    Look in the owners manual, it tells what wire gauge is needed to supply your new welder. I ran 6AWG for my MM185!
    Again..I'm not an electrician nor an electrical engineer!!!! & I'm not trying to play one!
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
    1971 Roughneck 1e
    Stars-n-Stripes BWE
    Optrel Satellite OSE
    ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
    Lincoln 200SA Diesel
    O/A Set
    Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
    1.5 kVA Spot Welder
    Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
    My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

HI Frank, I understand you being hesitant...and appreciate the response!! Just checked again and the manual recommends 10 AWG wire. Looks like the machine only pulls 28 amps from the wall. Anyway, anyone else with 10-2 vs 10-3. I have wired a couple of 220 Circuits (Compressors) and they have been 10-2.

Comment

Originally posted by freebird
        HI Frank, I understand you being hesitant...and appreciate the response!! Just checked again and the manual recommends 10 AWG wire. Looks like the machine only pulls 28 amps from the wall. Anyway, anyone else with 10-2 vs 10-3. I have wired a couple of 220 Circuits (Compressors) and they have been 10-2.
        10-2/ground will work fine...just may not meet current code. go ahead & wire it up!
        I'm NOT an electrician, nor an electrical engineer!!!!!!
        Syncrowave 180 SD
        MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
        1971 Roughneck 1e
        Stars-n-Stripes BWE
        Optrel Satellite OSE
        ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
        Lincoln 200SA Diesel
        O/A Set
        Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
        1.5 kVA Spot Welder
        Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
        My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

10/2 is fine..there's no need for a neutral with that machine.
          LICENSED ELECTRICIAN
          BAKERY MECHANIC

Comment

10/2 is fine. And it meets Code. Two hots and a ground for that machine.

Keep in mind that the 27A input (at 230V) is for RATED OUTPUT of 160A. It will draw more than that at 210A for sure. Besides, a 30A circuit would only be designed for a 24A continuous load (80% loading.)

That said, welders have built-in duty cycles and are not continuous loads. You can easily run that machine on its maximum output at its duty cycle on #10 wire.

Comment

Working...
            X