Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aametalmaster
    replied
    I use a 10t bi metal for almost everything i cut except my train bridges they are a 14t carbon. I just broke my blade after 1,500 cuts. Here is the last of this bridge...Bob
    http://www.countrysaw.com/ is where i get my blades
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• admweld
    replied
    cuts today on 4" c channel 5.4lbs/ft

made a bunch of cuts on channel today and this is not bad for the money it,s a lot easier to sq stuff up with these cuts.Compared too me free hand cutting w/ my plasma cutter i should have bought one of these sooner

Leave a comment:

• unixadm
    replied
    I've had the Homier version of the Grizzly saw for a while now. It's a decent saw for the money. I have trouble keeping mine cutting accurately. The thin blade tends to want to wander around in the cut.

I also have an Ellis 1600 and there truely is no comparison. Both saws have swivel heads, but the Ellis is just plain awesome. It cuts smoothly, quickly and accurately each and every time.

I'm going to hold onto the Homier and hopefully get it dialed in a bit better. It's much more compact which is a big plus in a small shop. The only other problem I've had with the Homier is the vise sometimes does not want to engage or pops back as pressure is applied.

Leave a comment:

• admweld
    replied
    good saw so far.

Tomsky, for the price on the saw i got i,m very impressed with the entire saw it works great i cut some 45 deg. miters in 3x3x1/4 tube steel and there right on the money.

Leave a comment:

• tomsky
    replied
    Pivot head saws

Any problems with the pivoting head style bandsaws? I seem to need square cuts one minutes and miters the next. Constant vise changes are getting tiresome. Pivoting style might be the answer?

Leave a comment:

• Ezryk
    replied
    A good rule of thumb for sizing saw blades is that no more then 18 teeth should be cutting metal at one time. (when cutting solid flatstock) If you run more steel then the blade is designed for the teeth's grooves fill up with shavings and your blade will wear out much faster as the teeth cannot cut properly the entire length. I got this info from an Amada service technician.

a good link for reference

http://www.tungstentool.com/pitch.html

Why do I know this? By day I'm a maintenance tech at a heavy fabrication plant. We have a dozen horizontal bandsaws of various brands that I service along with too many other pieces of fabrication equipment. By night I'm a hobbiest fabricator.

Leave a comment:

• Blown S-10
    replied
    Originally posted by frank865
    You wouldn't ask that if you'd ever made a few cuts with the blade supplied with most cheaper band-saws, then changed to a bi-metal blade. It will make you want to throw rocks at anything else! The standard issue blades work (kinda) but once you use a bi-metal, you'll never want to go back!

yep. there really is a difference.

Leave a comment:

• admweld
    replied
    frank, these are the sizes i edited them in my post i made a mistake on teeth.But i get the idea.

Leave a comment:

• frank865
    replied
    Originally posted by admweld
    Frank.Imade a few cuts with my 9742 today and it cuts good sq. Was wondering if the blade the shipped it with was bi metal i bought some bi metal and was wondering if i should swap blades and try one i,m test cutting 2x2 3/16 angle and 3x3 1/4 tube.any suggestion on what blade too use i have 8/10 a 10/12 and a 14/16 all bi metal.thanks
    If it works good for you, stay with it, it will dull fairly quickly though, when you replace it, use a bi-metal & you'll see the difference. I wouldn't take off a blade that was doing good. It's just that when it quits doing good the bi-metal will make you happier!
    The rule I've always heard on blade selection is, keep 2 teeth in the work, so for 1/4" wall tube the 8/10 would be best. For all around general work I'd use the 10/12 & the 12/16 for thin stuff. HTH
    Congratulations on the new saw!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• admweld
    replied
    frank865 ?

Frank.I made a few cuts with my 9742 today and it cuts good sq. Was wondering if the blade the shipped it with was bi metal i bought some bi metal and was wondering if i should swap blades and try one i,m test cutting 2x2 3/16 angle and 3x3 1/4 tube.any suggestion on what blade too use i have 8/12 a 10/14 and a 14/18 all bi metal.thanks

Leave a comment:

• frank865
    replied
    Originally posted by Checkered Flag
    Why do you say that?
    You wouldn't ask that if you'd ever made a few cuts with the blade supplied with most cheaper band-saws, then changed to a bi-metal blade. It will make you want to throw rocks at anything else! The standard issue blades work (kinda) but once you use a bi-metal, you'll never want to go back!

Leave a comment:

• Checkered Flag
    replied
    Originally posted by Blown S-10
    do yourself a favor. order some quality bi-metal blades NOW.

Why do you say that?

Leave a comment:

• Blown S-10
    replied
    do yourself a favor. order some quality bi-metal blades NOW.

Leave a comment:

• burninbriar
    replied
    Originally posted by Checkered Flag
    Oops,

I ordered the ABS 320 B
    WOW !!! That is one nice saw.

Leave a comment:

• Checkered Flag
    replied
    Oops,

I ordered the ABS 320 B