source for receiver tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• source for receiver tube

looking for an online source for receiver tubing for making receiver hitches. Local supplier wants to sell me 2.5" square 3/16" thick which is not the proper stuff-too much slop. he claims he can order what I want but won't. I can go to a local hitch installer and pay a ridiculous price for what I need. Guessing what I need is 2.5" sq by 1/4" thick DOM. Anyone have any ideas?

any ideal why he wont order it??? thats kind strange, makeing you pay $$$ woud be no suprise though. i got some local bit its more like 3/16 but it fits nice and snug. use it to make my POW*MIA hitch plugs, or are you trying to make the hitch the plug gose in??
    i dont supose there is another place in the area, maybee check the phone book for fab shops and see if one of them will order it for ya.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

I haven't bought it for a while (it lasts a long time!!), but it was called 2.53" X 2.53" X 1/4 wall flashout (seam removed), you have three hundredths clearance when using a 2" tube. It may be called something else now, I think the last time I got it was about 10 years ago. My local steel supplier has it, I'm sure if you called around a little somebody carries it.

Just a warning -- I have seen another size of tubing that is more like a 2 5/8", almost 1/8" clearance when using 2" tube -- it is ideal for sliding cheater bars on hay trailers, but too sloppy for trailer hitches, and I have seen it used on trailer hitches. If you are going to be making hitches look for the 2.53" stuff.

Another warning -- tubing made a few years ago had larger radius corners than that made today -- sometimes you have conflicts using newer 2" tube and older receiver tube -- the squarer corners on the newer 2" tube won't always fit into the rounder corners on the inside of the older 2.53" tube.

Comment

http://www.buyersproducts.com/

That's where I buy all my receiver tubes from. Comes in lengths up to 4', as short as 6" too.

You'll probably have to set up an account with them to order anything, but that's no big deal.

chaikwa.

Comment

source for receiver tube

try buyers products in cleveland ohio

Comment

Never did say why he wouldn't order it. When it comes to al, brass, ss, copper, ornamental iron he is the only game in town. Guess "My way or the highway" mentality. If he ever gets hungry his attitude may readjust. Ran into the same thing north of Atlanta at Gem City Steel awhile back. Tried to sell me the 2.5 by 3/16" stuff. Even told me that's what Ford and GM use. I would prefer to get a 10' or 20' stick of the stuff. I can paint, drill pin holes, and weld on the stress collars. I need to build a hitch for a truck, front hitch on a Jeep, yet to be designed way to install an overhead rack to a truck's front bumper/frame. Also have a friend that wants to be able to make his winch mount mobile. As you can tell I could use several feet of this stuff. I'll give buyersproducts a call. thanx

Comment

northerntool.com Look around I know they carry them
              Trailblazer 302g
              coolmate4
              hf-251d-1
              super s-32p
              you can never know enough

Comment

Receiver tube

Excellent trailer/hitch internet supply house with a great online ctalog is www.expeditior.com I have used them before with satisfaction.

Alan
                Quadlinear AKA Alan
                Cincinnati, OH

Miller Bobcat NT
                Miller Mig 135
                Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                Thermo Dynamics 600 Plasma
                Harris Torches
                Speedglass Helmet
                2 shops full of stuff

Comment

Quadlinear

i couldnt get your link to work ??? can you check the spelling or try another way to post it.
                  thanks
                  james
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

I buy them premade from the trailer supply place, under 15$, dont have to cut it or drill a hole and the steel comes free and the stress collar is on, ha, unless I was in the biz I wouldnt fool with buying stock most of the time. The stock will cost too offsetting the cost of the ready mades. I dont think a guy could save 5$ and still has to do the work. Its worth 5$ to drill the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry
                      Its worth 5$ to drill the hole.
                      Four of of five berry farmers agree.

I must have laid out one of those holes perfectly a few years ago. Measured everything twice, used a good carbide scribe and a square, etc. Danged if I didn't have to drill it again on the other side because that one didn't meet in the center/middle.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry
                        I buy them premade from the trailer supply place, under 15$, dont have to cut it or drill a hole and the steel comes free and the stress collar is on, ha, unless I was in the biz I wouldnt fool with buying stock most of the time. The stock will cost too offsetting the cost of the ready mades. I dont think a guy could save 5$ and still has to do the work. Its worth 5$ to drill the hole.
                        For just trailer hitches, I agree. I like to keep the receiver tube around for other things when you need a tube sliding inside of another tube. It's funny how many applications you can find for this, if you have it available.

Comment

One thing, if you do buy a length of reciever tube, be sure to label it with a paintstick or something. I bought a 20' piece, had it delivered to the customer's shop (making a sliding adjustable tongue). When I went back to pick it up later, couldn't find it. Turns out he used it to build a header cart to transport the grain header for one of his combines That material cost 2 - 3 times what regular 2 1/2" tube would be.

Comment

Right, that was part of the point I was making, the price difference in stock and the pre-mades will be minimal, the vendor that makes them buys steel by the truckload and a one off buyer would liokely pay as much for stock mtl as pre-fab. Very little difference even for half a doxen of them and like you said, sooner or later that pricey tube will look good for something else. and you wouldnt have to buy only as many as needed when you needed them, I keep a couple on the shelf.

Comment

i gota agree on the hole thing, i have to drill them for my hitch plugs i make and even with a drill press and lots of pre meshering it stil dosent always come out centerd. realy is a pain but i cant find the inside ones pre drilled if it was the outside i would get premade in a minuit.
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              JAMES

Comment

Working...
                              X