• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by illuzion
    is flux cored any eaiser to weld with?
    Well, that depends. FCAW is easier to get good penetration with, but both processes will give adequate penentration if you know what you are doing. GMAW needs some experience to get proper wet-out and penetration.

Practice, practice, and practice. This includes cutting some test welds (coupons) and etching them with acid to see just what effect your technique has. Also, the BFH test. You'll see some differences between the two processes, especially before you get a lot of experience with GMAW.

GMAW is certainly easier to lay down a bead that looks good. But only SOMETIMES does that mean it is adequate for the job.

FC is much more expensive wire, but is invaluable if welding in field conditions.

Leave a comment:

• illuzion
    replied
    Welp, heres the deal, I havent heard one bad experience with the passport yet, and noone here seems to have anything bad to say about it, thats good enough for me. I ordered mine today, probably should have by end of week. I strongy doubt I will regret it, miller has yet to disappoint me. I have hardly any mig experience though, definately need some practice, everything I know is mostly tig and stick. So long as a gas supply is available, is flux cored any eaiser to weld with?

Leave a comment:

• neophyte
    replied
    IMHO the only two things that the MM175 has going for is the price and the fact that it has been time tested. Neither of which the Passport can boast.

MAC702
    Congratulations on the new Passport. I don't think you will ever regret it.

illuzion
    If you are not in a hurry to purchase a machine, try to get by one of the trade shows that Miller is setting up at this year you can try each machine out. You can find the complete list of trade shows here: http://www.millerwelds.com/about/tradeshows.html
    There are also gents here on the board that would be more than happy to let you try out their machines should you live in the same area.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    As long as there is a significant functional dfference between the machines, i dont mind spending the extra $, ... I was afraid when I first saw this unit since it looks like nothing else they have ever made that they may be buying it from someone else and relabeling it.
    Fear no more. This is one of Miller's premier offerings from last year. Mine is finally in the mail, ordered it three days ago. In reality, there is NO comparison except a similar amperage range between it and the MM175. The Passport is a superior unit in every other catagory. I made a lot of money with a MM175 for two years. I am very much looking forward to my Passport arriving this week.

Leave a comment:

• wb5jhy
    replied
    Brian
    I like inverter technology too. I only have transformer machines and they will have to do for a good long while. They work great for what little I do.
    But, if I had your wallet, I'd burn mine and buy all inverter machines too.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• illuzion
    replied
    cost isnt so much of an issue so long as i am not spending an extra $1k for a blue pelican box and a paintball co2 tank. As long as there is a significant functional dfference between the machines, i dont mind spending the extra $, ever since i bought the dynasty, i am a believer in inverter technology, and will probably never buy another 60hz unit again if i can avoid it. to me the inverter alone is enough justification of the passport price. So long as everything else is built as well as their other units. I was afraid when I first saw this unit since it looks like nothing else they have ever made that they may be buying it from someone else and relabeling it.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• wb5jhy
    replied
    I was looking for a portable mig setup, I am trying to decide between the Millermatic 175 and the millermatic passport, I need something I can pick up and carry somewhere, I consider both of these machines equally portable, the self contained gas supply in the passport isnt terribly important to me, I am looking for the machine with the best arc/weld quality. Aluminum isnt terribly important to me as I already own a dynasty 200dx also
    Thanks
    Brian
    Obviously, no discussion necessary. Since you have the Dynasty 200DX already, cost ain't in the equation. Order up the Passport.

Leave a comment:

• neophyte
    replied
    When comparing the Passport to the SP175 ( basically the same machine as the MM175) we found the arc quality to be superior on the Passport.

I think Miller said it best here:
    Inverter-based technology enables the Millermatic Passport to control arc characteristics thousands of times faster than conventional transformer technology. As a result, the unit provides welding characteristics (positive arc starts without popping and minimal spatter while welding) that are far superior to any other small MIG welder. This includes high stability, low-spatter welding with CO2 shielding gas and outstanding results when using mixed gas.

I'm a believer.

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    My main interest is what is the difference between these welders from a power supply (not packaging) standpoint. Is the passport a high frequency inverter? Or is it a 60hz transformer based unit like the 175? is there a difference in arc stability? Is one wire feeder better?
    The Passport is an inverter. Difference in arc stability? I think the Passport is easier to dial in and its arc kicks a$$. I have heard many people complain about the wire feed tracking feature on the MM175 but your mileage may vary. I think the wire feed mechanisms are pretty similar.

Leave a comment:

• illuzion
    replied
    My main interest is what is the difference between these welders from a power supply (not packaging) standpoint. Is the passport a high frequency inverter? Or is it a 60hz transformer based unit like the 175? is there a difference in arc stability? Is one wire feeder better?

Leave a comment:

• neophyte
    replied
    Compared to the MM175? I can tell you that the Passport is lighter (45lbs vs 73lbs without bottles or wire in either) has 5 more amps output at the top end and is more portable in every regard compared to the MM175. Of course with the Passport comes a hefty price tag. Is the added top 5 amps, lower weight and no external bottle worth the extra cost?? In my book it is!!!

We compared my Passport to a SP175 owned by a friend of mine. He has burnt a lot of wire and preferred my Passport hands down.

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    Like Hank said, the 175 will require 240V no matter where you want to use it. Size isn't always a good indictor of portability as the Passport is a little bigger that the MM175. Case in point, I had to do an on-site repair a couple of weeks ago on a part for a customer of mine. This is a shop with multiple CNC's and plenty "O" power (single and 3-phase) to boot. The part that needed welding just happened to be fixtured in an area of the shop that I only had access to 120V power. No problem, just unscrew my 240V plug and replace it with the 120V one. Also, since I had the self-contained CO2 cylinder, the only thing I had to lug around was the welder. The guys watching me do the repair were flipping out over that machine.

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    I was looking for a portable mig setup, I am trying to decide between the Millermatic 175 and the millermatic passport, I need something I can pick up and carry somewhere, I consider both of these machines equally portable, the self contained gas supply in the passport isnt terribly important to me, I am looking for the machine with the best arc/weld quality. Aluminum isnt terribly important to me as I already own a dynasty 200dx also
    Thanks
    Brian
    When you consider that the 175 will require 240-volts wherever you drag it to, maybe the Passport comes off as the more "portable"?

Hank

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Passport is an awesome machine, I've used one at HAWKs and the demo at the PRI show. I own a 210 and it different in the feel of the arc but it is crisp and clean so I would give it the nod on this one. I've only used it on CO2 but I hear it runs equally well on C25 gas.

Peace,

Leave a comment:

• illuzion
    started a topic MIG Questions

MIG Questions

Thanks
    Brian
Working...
X