Pushing aluminum in a Mig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushing aluminum in a Mig

Has anyone run across a product that allows pushing aluminum in a Mig welder
    without any problems like www.wirepropellant.com ?
    Is this a good addition or another money scam product?
    I have friends asking as they don't have a push / pull or spoolgun system.
    With the MM 251 and 30A spoolgun I can't believe a equal weld quality system at 1/10 the cost is out there.
    .....=o&o>.....

Hey at least they are using Miller/Hobart products. I can't answer about the product as i have not used it. I watched all 3 movies and it looks good. We have had a spoolgun for alum in the family since 1962 and i still have it, as well as a MM185 and 185 spoolmate. Would i have bought the spoolmate if i had seen the movies first? I don't know. But i see they are pushing 3/64" alum wire and that is easier to push than .035, but that little Hobart on the boat site can't push that big size wire and weld it well anyway. Maybe someone will chime in that has tried the setup...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

sounds like a standerd teflon liner with a atached pad putting splater gell on the wire as it enters the drive wheels. lots of welders add scotchbright padds to clean the wire befor it enters the wheel so that is likely where they got the ideal. you can get a teflon liner for a lot less and im not shoure i would want to heat the wire nore do i think it would be a good ideal to add a heat scorce inside your wellder. odds are you will still need to kep the feed line to gun as strait as possible (odds are they will tell you that when the kit arives) to prevent birds nesting and over size your tip by 1 size to prevent meltdown as the wire expands with the heat of the arc.

in short you will likely not have any better results that you would with a teflon liner and an over sized tip.( IF RUNNING .030WIRE USE A .035 TIP)

THIS SUBJECT HAS BEEN COVERD MANY TIMES BEFOR AND IT HAS BEEN DONE WITH THE mm175 AND EVEN THE mm135. sorry i hit the cap button again

if it were me i wouldnt spend the $$$ on it, but its your $$$ do they have a $$$ back garentee???????

just my $.02
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

also 5XXX aluminum is stiffer and will feed beter than 4XXX. sorry its late and my pills are wining controle of the noodle just cant find the rest of the alloy #'s in the void/confution.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

i haven't used the product in question but i do know that teflon liners suck, if you can possibly keep it insanely straight it kinda works but one little curl.... and yes 5356 wire is stiffer but much harder to get a decent looking weld IMO 4043 is easier to put down but not as strong.
          The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

yep thats it LOL also the 5356 wont collor match as well. any way you look at it i think spoolgun of push-pull is the way to go, although the addition of the splater spray might make it feed a bit better still not the best option IMO
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            JAMES

Comment

Works fine. I tried it last year on a MM135 (never put on the heater since I don't see the need). Setting are finiky but once setup, works fine. You have to put the wipe up after use.

EDIT:
              Std tips size used and the wipes are important. I could even get the guy to work with a kinked up whip.

Tidbit:
              The wipes have more of an ammonia like smell. I tried rewetting the wipes with brasso liquid since it has the same smell (filtered out the particulate) and it actually worked great.

Comment

Working...
              X